Bi-wiring posts

randog

Bi-wiring posts
« on: 7 Feb 2003, 05:29 pm »
Klaus and friends,

The monoblocks I picked up have the additional posts for bi-wiring. Can you explain to me how that is wired internally and which pair I should use if I don't bi-wire?

Also, could I use the second set of posts through a switch for a 'B' pair of speakers if I were so inclined? What is a safe load on these amps and what kind of degradation of sound would I be looking at? i.e: is it dumb?  :|

My reasoning is to get tunes in the adjoining room I could poke a hole in the wall and put a switch inline to each speaker pair. Would the switches add any appreciable noise? i.e: is it dumb?  :roll:

Obviously I don't want to compromise my 2-channel main system.  8)

Randog

speedcenter

• http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/audio
Bi-wiring posts
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2003, 05:42 am »
I don't know how it's wired internally, but I biwire with single posts, meaning, the wires go into the same post. That's how it works, so I assume the double posts are wired in parrelel internally and it's really more a matter of convenience to get fat wires connected.

if you don't bi-wire all you need to worry about is to keep plus and minus separate, but you should be able to use either set of posts

amandarae

Bi-wiring posts
« Reply #2 on: 9 Feb 2003, 01:43 am »
Yes, they are connected in parallel.  If you open the top panel of the amp, you can see that the + and - connection of the second pair of speaker binding post are "tapped" to the first.  So in essence, it does not matter which set you use, they are connected in  the same "point " in the output circuit,  thus no set is better than the other.

I believe that you will not have a problem if you connect the other post to a speaker selector switch.  If you are listening to 2ch, the switch is open so there is no load except your primary speaker on the other set.  If the switch is activated (ie. 2 sets of speaker now) the only concern is that your load will be in parallel, making the impedance to be lower (or half if the speakers have identical impedances).  The result is that it presents a tougher load for your amp because it will require more power to drive the 2 pairs of speaker( i.e 180 w at 8 ohms, 360 w at 4 ohms, ? watts at 2 ohms...etc.)  

Hope this helps

randog

Bi-wiring posts
« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2003, 04:33 pm »
It does... thanks.  :smoke:

Klaus, what is a safe load for these amps and is there a good way to tell if they are getting pushed too hard? (I've got the standard mono's)

I.e: hot case, bad sound, etc.

Just for future reference, dontcha know.  :wink:

Randy