X-CS Encore/Classic cabinets - sample pics

Mark Seaton

X-CS Encore/Classic cabinets - sample pics
« on: 1 Oct 2011, 01:27 am »
Hi All,

I had spoken with Danny about this a couple weeks back and he suggested posting a picture or two once some samples exist.

Short story: I'm doing some work with the company who builds my own cabinets to offer a few cabinets which I think might be of interest to enthusiasts.  This is one I had thought would make sense to offer, as Danny is offering the x-cs kits for such a steal.  The concept is to have cabinets I'm describing as "screwdriver ready."  No cutting, just assemble.  Even the screw holes are piloted so you don't have to worry about squaring things up and reducing the chances of a screwdriver poking through a surround or cone.  :duh:

I do not have any pricing yet, but should over the next week or two, as two veneered samples will be on display at RMAF.  This was just a test unit in MDF, where you will see that all edges are mitered from the fold-up construction around the dadoed braces.  What you can't see with bare MDF is the benefit to the veneered cabinets where all surfaces start as a single, continuous sheet of pre-veneered MDF.  The wood grain will run the length of the box face continuously from the bottom to face to top, and laterally be continuous from the left side across the face and 30 deg bevels on the front edges and around to the right side and rear.  I don't expect these to be terribly low cost options, but rather a quality option which removes the biggest hurdle to most in completing a loudspeaker kit.  If it helps Danny lighten the parts stockpile and Santiago and crew recoup some, even better.

Not pictured is the matching grill which is retained by the neo' magnets behind the baffle.  :)

Hopefully Danny will have some time to look the cabinet over at RMAF and give the thumbs up and any other input:

Unfinished MDF cabinets can also be an option for those who want to do their own finishing, which might offer a significant cost savings for this box and make finishing much easier when there's no MDF end grain to deal with.

tesseract

Re: X-CS Encore/Classic cabinets - sample pics
« Reply #1 on: 1 Oct 2011, 09:34 pm »
Those look really nice. Can't wait to see the finish options and pricing.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 1 Oct 2011, 09:42 pm »
Mark,
That looks really good!

Are you thinking of an X-LS Classis or Encore cabinet as well?   

BLWTX

« Reply #3 on: 2 Oct 2011, 03:38 am »
It looks like the corner bracing is reducing cabinet volume from the original design. Will this change the low end frequency response of the speaker?

Mark Seaton

« Reply #4 on: 3 Oct 2011, 04:03 pm »
It looks like the corner bracing is reducing cabinet volume from the original design. Will this change the low end frequency response of the speaker?

After doing some hunting through the drawings and digging up an X-LS cabinet I have around here from the auction, I now see the problem.  The X-CS drawing referenced the X-LS drawing/construction, which isn't posted.   :duh:

There was only a 2D dimension of brace A in the posted drawing, but it appears from checking the X-LS cabinet this brace is simply 3/4" thick and 3/4" wide, where I thought that was the end view of the brace.  I had scratched my head as to if that was correct, but it's a very easy fix and a little simpler to build.  The cabinets at RMAF will be correct.

Thanks for the catch!

Mark Seaton

« Reply #5 on: 3 Oct 2011, 04:12 pm »
Mark,
That looks really good!

Are you thinking of an X-LS Classis or Encore cabinet as well?

We'll definitely consider it, but I first wanted to see where costs come through with the X-CS as smaller size doesn't make for a linear savings in cost, and I think this would be a good sweet spot for value and performance, as I still think 3 X-CS's with a good sub or two make for an amazing bang/buck home theater setup.  I had figured an X-MTM might also make sense to build, as again these are tougher cabinets for enthusiasts to build.  X-LS would of course be easy to do if there is sufficient interest vs. cost.

mojave

« Reply #6 on: 3 Oct 2011, 08:37 pm »
Those look nice, Mark. Danny also spec'd that the woofer holes have a roundover on the inside. See post #109 and following in this thread.

Mark Seaton

« Reply #7 on: 3 Oct 2011, 11:11 pm »
Those look nice, Mark. Danny also spec'd that the woofer holes have a roundover on the inside. See post #109 and following in this thread.

Thanks.  The rear side radius was clearly on the drawing and is already incorporated into the boxes you see.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #8 on: 3 Oct 2011, 11:26 pm »
After doing some hunting through the drawings and digging up an X-LS cabinet I have around here from the auction, I now see the problem.  The X-CS drawing referenced the X-LS drawing/construction, which isn't posted.   :duh:

There was only a 2D dimension of brace A in the posted drawing, but it appears from checking the X-LS cabinet this brace is simply 3/4" thick and 3/4" wide, where I thought that was the end view of the brace.  I had scratched my head as to if that was correct, but it's a very easy fix and a little simpler to build.  The cabinets at RMAF will be correct.

Thanks for the catch!

Hey Mark!

Which room(s) are you going to have these in?

rajesh

• Live & Let Live
« Reply #9 on: 4 Oct 2011, 07:54 am »
Hi,

Great job. Are you also willing to supply flat packs. I've organised a group buy in an India Centric hifi forum and some participants are willing to buy flat packs.

You can read about it here: http://www.hifivision.com/diy/19688-best-ever-deal-loudspeaker-kits.html

The final order in all likelihood would be as under: -

X-LS Encore Stereo speaker pair kit @ $149 - 20 pairs
Encore X-CS Centre speaker kit @ $99 - 5 Nos
A/V 1RS surround speaker pair kit @ $194.65 - 5 pairs
Subwoofer kit GR Dual SW-12B + SA-1 Sub amp - 1 Nos
Subwoofer kit GR SW-12B + SA-1 Sub amp - 5 Nos
GR SW-12B Sub woofer driver - Nos
X-Static kit - 1 kit
OB7 kit (with M130X swap) -  1 kit
N3S center kit(with sonicap upgrade) - 1 kit
Servo Subwoofer kit Dual GR SW-12-08 + Rythmik A370PEQ amp @ $667 - 1 kit
Servo Subwoofer kit GR SW-12-04 + Rythmik A370PEQ amp @ $ 498 - Total 2 kits

Do let me know the cost of flat packs for the above. Kindly note that not all may opt for the flat packs.

Regards

Rajesh

Mark Seaton

« Reply #10 on: 10 Oct 2011, 08:50 pm »
Hi,

Great job. Are you also willing to supply flat packs. I've organised a group buy in an India Centric hifi forum and some participants are willing to buy flat packs.

You can read about it here: http://www.hifivision.com/diy/19688-best-ever-deal-loudspeaker-kits.html

Hi Rajesh,

Thank you.  At this point in time we don't have flat-kits planned nor can this specific build up be shipped in that manner, as the exterior is folded up from a large continuous panel with long dimensions of ~48" x ~51".

For now the fully assembled enclosures is what will be offered.  Here are some shots taken before these boxes were packed up for RMAF...

Rosenut (red stained walnut):

Black oak:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 10 Oct 2011, 08:53 pm »
Mark,
Very nice cabinets!  :drool:

Mark Seaton

« Reply #12 on: 10 Oct 2011, 09:29 pm »
Mark,
Very nice cabinets!  :drool:

Thanks HAL,

I look forward to catching up at RMAF.

:beer:

BLWTX

« Reply #13 on: 11 Oct 2011, 02:04 am »
I still think 3 X-CS's with a good sub or two make for an amazing bang/buck home theater setup. 

I agree with this statement. I am running this setup and I am really pleased! Even more so after adding norez, polyfill and the defractionbegone wool tweeter surrounds. They are really good for 2 channel music as well!!

Those cabinets look really nice!! Have you come up with pricing on them yet?