Help me pick a phono stage

brooklyn

Re: Help me pick a phono stage
« Reply #20 on: 9 Oct 2020, 05:12 am »
I now have two phono stages in my music room.. first came the Gold Note PH-10 then the Sutherland 20/20 about a week later. I listened to the Gold Note right up until the Sutherland arrived, I probably only have about 15 hours on the GN so it’s not exactly broken in at this time. The top end of the Gold Note seemed to have more extension with a clearer sound quality to it.. I do like the sound but I need to listen to it some more before I make a final judgement.

I hooked up the Sutherland this past weekend, being that it’s dual mono the connection on the back of the unit were widely spaced which meant I couldn’t use the same cables I used to connect the Gold Note.. What a PITA.. I had to borrow cabled from my headphone system to make the connections on the 20/20.. I now need to buy another set of cables.. Being that the unit was already broken in, it was ready for an audition.

I have to say, so far, I’m impressed. It’s always hard for me to describe exactly what I’m hearing but the words that came to me right off the bat were neutral, musical and lush.. I listened to all types of music for hours and everything I threw at it sounded excellent.. what a wonderful phono stage. I will be listening to it for a few weeks before going back to the Gold Note and giving it equal time.

gnuyork

« Reply #21 on: 9 Oct 2020, 04:14 pm »
That's exactly what I heard with the Duo which I assume is essentially the 20/20 but dual mono in separate chassis. You nailed it. Neutral, musical, and lush. It was a great upgrade.

Helom

« Reply #22 on: 15 Mar 2021, 03:52 pm »
Can you tell us which phono stage you ultimately preferred? Thanks.

brooklyn

« Reply #23 on: 17 Mar 2021, 04:49 am »
Hi Helom,
I just recently reinstalled the Gold Note after many months of listening to the Sutherland.. I would say the Gold Note still has not been broken in at this time but I’m working on that..

Both of these phono preamps in my opinion are high quality.. as I’ve mentioned before, the Sutherland has a more neutral, musical and lush sound quality. The Gold Note has a little more clarity in the top end and midrange. A tad on the analytical side by comparison.. personally, I don’t have a problem with that..

I guess it all depends on your personal taste and system. If I had to give the nod to one of them right now in my present system I would go with the Sutherland.. I guess spending a little more time with the Gold Note could sway my decision.. I’m giving it a couple of months and see how it goes.

If you like to change cartridges and have two turntables, the Gold Note is more compelling.. I’m not sure I would give either one up at this time.

grantmethepower

« Reply #24 on: 22 Mar 2023, 04:57 am »
Well, after trying to decide on a phono pre-amp for the last few weeks I finally made a decision. The last two units on my short list were the Gold Note PH-10 and the Sutherland Insight.. I finally decided to go with the convenience of the Gold Note.

While I was waiting for it to be delivered two audiophile friends of mine decided at the same time to buy the Sutherland 20/20 with a power supply spur of the moment. I got a call from one of them telling me how he couldn’t believe what he was hearing out of his albums, best he’s ever heard.

You know what I was thinking.. right? Maybe I should have given this some more thought. So yesterday the Gold Note arrives, I’m listening to it right now.. It was very easy to set up and start listening, the menu on the front panel was very intuitive. I’m listening to an old Joan Baez album right now, it’s the best I’ve ever heard in my system and it’s only been a couple of hours so far.. The Gold Note has made a huge step up in the sound of my vinyl front end.

Not wanting to be out done by my two buddies, I remember seeing a 20/20 online but didn’t pay much attention to it. When I went back to see it the price was attractive enough for me to buy it.. I’m waiting on it, should be here by the end of the week.. It should be a great comparison, in the mean time I like what I’m hearing with the Gold Note.. Yep.. I’m a screw ball. Man this hobby really plays with your mind.. believe me, it didn’t take much.

Hi, I know this is old but I’m curious which you kept. Take care!

js1955

« Reply #25 on: 22 Mar 2023, 06:55 pm »
Hi, I know this is old but I’m curious which you kept. Take care!

Well, deducing from this FS ad, he kept the Gold Note:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=183863.msg1930140#msg1930140

I reviewed his posts and don't see the GN posted FS.