RMAF 2014 - Tell Us Where To Go (Tyson & Pez)

Pez

Re: RMAF 2014 - Tell Us Where To Go (Tyson & Pez)
« Reply #40 on: 6 Oct 2014, 07:56 pm »
Hey guys, just my two cents. I appreciate ALL the suggestions. We are always on a tight schedule and as such we ultimately reserve the right to see what we want. As a reminder we do this for free and of our own volition all opinions are ours and ours alone. Often what we decide to see and not see is based on our personal taste and past experience. Every year we seem to have more and more ACers posting their impressions of their experience. If anyone attending the show plans to do any coverage please try to visit some of the rooms requested here to pick up the slack!

Thanks!

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #41 on: 6 Oct 2014, 08:04 pm »
I am doing all the bars and restaurants within walking distance. I got 11 meals 4 nights to work with.  Any request? :lol: 

Pez

« Reply #42 on: 6 Oct 2014, 08:26 pm »
McDonalds on DTC blvd and orchard.  :P

SET Man

« Reply #43 on: 6 Oct 2014, 10:12 pm »
Hey!

Wow! Pez, Tyson... you two are really going all out with RMAF again this year!  :D

Wish I could be there too :? Well, I just attended the NY show of which is a small show this year, I'm sure there is more at RMAF.

Anyway, looking forward to see photos and reports from you two of this show. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #44 on: 7 Oct 2014, 12:23 am »
How about room 1022

Volti Audio
 Tortuga Audio
 Triode Wire Labs

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #45 on: 7 Oct 2014, 12:44 am »
How about room 1022

Volti Audio
 Tortuga Audio
 Triode Wire Labs

Added!

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #46 on: 7 Oct 2014, 03:29 am »
. . . so that's how its gonna be, huh. . .   :nono:  :lol:

but seriously, I just saw this posted and had to add it to your thread.  This looks like a special kind of awesome, just hope they got enough room real estate to pull it off:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=129287

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #47 on: 7 Oct 2014, 04:29 am »
If you have the opportunity, please track down Raven Audio. I'm curious to know your thoughts.

Most importantly, Have Fun,

Jerry

roscoeiii

« Reply #48 on: 7 Oct 2014, 05:09 am »
I'd second the comment that the Salk Exotica 3s are a departure for Salk. They really blew me away, while other Salks hadn't been so much my cup of tea. That said, we have lots of impressions of them from AXPONA, and other ACers are likely to weigh in on the Salk room.

On the other hand, I'd more strongly suggest you reconsider Von Schweikert since they are debuting a new speaker, the VR-55. No impressions will be out there other than from RMAF and I'm sure y'all's thoughts on them would be very appreciated by ACers and other reader, relative to your other show faves.

Tyson

« Reply #49 on: 7 Oct 2014, 05:14 am »
If you have the opportunity, please track down Raven Audio. I'm curious to know your thoughts.

Most importantly, Have Fun,

Jerry

Room 573, already on the list ;)

kernelbob

« Reply #50 on: 7 Oct 2014, 11:59 am »
In response to your request for more info on the Endeavor Audio room, they're introducing their new E5 speaker driven by Constellation Audio amplification.  The E5 is a tower speaker laid out similarly to my VSA VR100XS towers in a WWMTMWWconfiguration.  This is a link to their website which has a photo of the E5 next to their E3.

http://www.endeavoraudio.com/

kernelbob

« Reply #51 on: 7 Oct 2014, 12:07 pm »
One more thought.  I'd also recommend checking out the Tortuga controller.  I'm auditioning one now.  It's their standard LDRxB balanced unit.  I only have a week of time on it, but if mated with appropriate source and amp (meaning pay attention to impedances), it sounds stunning.

Naturally, I'd suggest checking out the VonSchweikert Audio room with the new VR55's, but since I own the VR100XS system, I figured my opinions there may be seen as biased.  Nonetheless, I'm hearing good stuff about the VR55's.

fsimms

« Reply #52 on: 7 Oct 2014, 12:20 pm »

We've hit Salk a bunch of times, unless it's a radical departure from previous designs and Salk/AVA house sound, I think we're gonna pass.

I think you might have got your wish.  The new Exotica 3 is a radical departure from the previous Salk designs.  It has high efficiency and a very expensive paper divers.  Reports are that it sounds very different  from previous designs.

I haven't heard it so I hope you do a report.

Bob

TimF

« Reply #53 on: 7 Oct 2014, 12:45 pm »
I would certainly check out room 518, Michael Vamos with Audio Skies for something a little different on the speaker end with Larsen, and Pear Audio Blue analog turntables and hybrid amplification, and also the Gamut line. Not sure what all else he is bringing along, but would love to hear your thoughts on this room if possible. Wish I could be there too! Tim

AlexG

• Industry Participant
« Reply #54 on: 7 Oct 2014, 12:50 pm »
Hey Tyson and Pez,

...and just in case you guys start getting a little bored or experiencing some form of "ear fatigue", stop by room 9000 and relax a little... :lol: :lol:

Alex

DEV

« Reply #55 on: 7 Oct 2014, 03:03 pm »
This will be my first visit

Can you guys provide a list of places to eat that are within walking distance of the venue.

Also provide any convenience stores - grocery stores locations within the area, would like to be able to pick-up a case of water etc. 

Would be most helpful - thanks   

JoshK

« Reply #56 on: 7 Oct 2014, 03:41 pm »
Volti might be interesting.  At least *I'd* be interested.

Oops, just saw it was already added.

JoshK

« Reply #57 on: 7 Oct 2014, 03:51 pm »
Happy to see you guys putting some of the Home Theater crowd speakers on the list (JTR, Seaton).  Its too bad Danley isnt showing (I own synergies, so I'd like to hear what you think of the comparison). 

PTE Looks very cool as well, especially their coax three way.  It looks like on the surface they did the coax the right way.  I really enjoyed my Tannoys while I had them.

Tyson

« Reply #58 on: 7 Oct 2014, 04:19 pm »
I would certainly check out room 518, Michael Vamos with Audio Skies for something a little different on the speaker end with Larsen, and Pear Audio Blue analog turntables and hybrid amplification, and also the Gamut line. Not sure what all else he is bringing along, but would love to hear your thoughts on this room if possible. Wish I could be there too! Tim

Already on the list.
Hey Tyson and Pez,

...and just in case you guys start getting a little bored or experiencing some form of "ear fatigue", stop by room 9000 and relax a little... :lol: :lol:

Alex

Ooops, can't believe I forgot Odyssey!  Added ;)

Can you guys provide a list of places to eat that are within walking distance of the venue.

Also provide any convenience stores - grocery stores locations within the area, would like to be able to pick-up a case of water etc. 

I haven't been to the Tech Center in a while, but from memory, there's a decent Indian food place across the street, a Steak house a block away (Shanahans), and a coffee/convenience store inside the hotel, along with a bar/grill right next to it.

Happy to see you guys putting some of the Home Theater crowd speakers on the list (JTR, Seaton).  Its too bad Danley isnt showing (I own synergies, so I'd like to hear what you think of the comparison). 

PTE Looks very cool as well, especially their coax three way.  It looks like on the surface they did the coax the right way.  I really enjoyed my Tannoys while I had them.

Yeah, we lost all our snobbery about this stuff a long time ago.  I think it was a combo of 1, building our own sh!t and seeing how there's no actual magic or woo, and 2, being so pressed for time, historically, that we couldn't even ask price or get other info for the rooms.  Hitting 30 rooms over 3 days, year after year, tends to level the playing field. 

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #59 on: 7 Oct 2014, 04:51 pm »

You inspired me to start this thread.
RMAF Dining Guide