Looking for some advice and direction.

tubesforever

Looking for some advice and direction.
« on: 20 Mar 2009, 08:31 pm »
So I have been ordering all the parts and pieces for a Hagerman Piccolo active step up.  This will be my second Piccolo. 

This one is getting rectified power from a Buggle power supply, then it will be rectified again by the Piccolo circuit.  Double power supply regulation should help this piece have some super stable sound.  I will not be stopping there.... 

I want the Piccolo quieter.  I plan to plug in some FK Blackgates.  These are the lowest of the low noise Blackgate caps.  How quiet are they.  Their measured noise floor is -160db.  How's that for quiet.   

This might be the quietest Piccolo ever built.  But I'm not done. 

I am going to use PRP 1/4 watt resistors on the board.  They measure noise so low they are a very close match to the hiddeously expensive nude Vishay bulk foil resistors that I really enjoy. 

I am very excited about the prospects of building a super quiet Piccolo.  When I am done I should only hear the electrons complain as they hit the resistance on the circuit board ;-).

Now here comes your part. 

I have to pick my poison on the case work.  I was planning on buying a Hammond extruded aluminum case  to hold both pieces in one chassis.  However that is not going to work out as planned. 

Jim Hagerman recommended the power supply and Piccolo to have some critical distance to minimize RF/EMI intrusion.

So do I go with a hideously large box to accomodate the appropriate distances? Or do I use two smaller enclosures where I could actually put a shielded power umbilical between the two pieces?

You folks are the absolute best.  Have fun with this. Suggest something outside the box....sorry I couldn't resist....or just chime in on the suggestion you feel is best.

This is a fun hobby so I thought I would turn this Piccolo into a community project.   I will post lots of pictures as I build.  This will be an interesting Piccolo to be sure!

ecir38

Re: Looking for some advice and direction.
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2009, 12:36 am »
Hey Jim, I would go with two enclosures. You could tuck the ps out of the way like an inline ps for laptops.

Brad 

analog97

« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2009, 03:55 am »
Tubes,

Jim Hagerman recommended the power supply and Piccolo to have some critical distance to minimize RF/EMI intrusion.

I don't know what this "critical" distance is, but I built Jim's RIPPER, which has that large toroid PS pretty close to the Bugle phono pre-amp and it is very quiet.  My sense is a single enclosure would be fine.  Maybe do some foil shielding and call it day?  Good luck, but my money's on you!!   :thumb:

reuben

« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2009, 12:02 pm »
In order to break the tie:
Which choice would you least likely regret later?
I would go with two boxes.
Regards,
Tom

MusicMtnMonkey

« Reply #4 on: 22 Mar 2009, 02:51 pm »
A young hobbyist says 2 enclosures.  It's way to much effort to move mounted boards around for me.  But making a few different sized (power) cables to connect the power supply enclosure with the pre amp enclosure would allow you to easily test the effects of distance on noise.  You might not want the power supply transformer heat to be in the same box as the nice capacitors and other components anyhow.

SC50

« Reply #5 on: 22 Mar 2009, 09:38 pm »
If you had a metal divider as a shield between the PS and Piccolo, wouldn't that in effect be two boxes in one enclosure?

flocchini

« Reply #6 on: 23 Mar 2009, 03:20 am »
Jim:

I am starting my Piccolo soon and am going with a 2 box approach -either pirating from the 6V battery I use to power the filament on 6SN7 pre or using a separate 15V regulated supply. I'll do the experiment and see what works best. My current phono pre uses a separate supply and combined with the Cornet2 on my 93dB speakers I don't hear any noise. I look forward to your Piccolo. On my unit I've decided to use Elna Cerafines and the Russian Teflons as my caps. Same resistors as you. I'll probably do a copper box with wood over the sides.

Best

Bob