finished my Cornet - wow !

troporobo

« on: 14 Feb 2006, 01:28 am »
I finshed my Cornet on the weekend and can only say wow!  This is a great phono stage, and an excellent kit.

I am really impressed with the upgrade to my analog chain.  Subjectively I'm hearing a fuller, richer, and yet "cleaner" and seemingly flatter response.  The Cornet is producing much better extension at both ends of the frequency spectrum, better control especially in the bass, and is dead quiet.  (RIAA equalization was previously handled by a Musical Fidelity X-LPS, and I have also compared to a Basie preamp and a Rotel RA-02)  Problems I previously attributed to my speakers are now GONE

The build process was straightforward and enjoyable, and the PCB made it nearly foolproof.  The only mods I made to the standard kit was the Auricap upgrade, and a custom case to match other components in my system.  I'm a newbie at building active electronics and it still took me only 3 evenings.  I would point out that it is possible to build the Cornet in a 2" high Hammond case but does require a little extra work and care and surgery with a Dremel!  Thanks to Jim for the occassional (very quick!) email support.

If you've been thinking about this phono stage and wondering if its for you, my recommendation is to get off the fence and warm up your soldering iron!

At the risk of immodesty, the rest of my system pics are here:

http://photobucket.com/albums/b122/troporobo/

Tabascosauce

« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2006, 09:36 am »
By coincidence, I currently use an X-LPS, and have been eyeing this kit for some time.

I take it you found it to be a significant improvement over the X-LPS?

troporobo

« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2006, 11:42 pm »
"significant" would be an understatement!  It's better in every way - bass extension and control, midrange accuracy without artificial tube sweetening, treble clarity without harshness, and what seems like much improved transparency due to better definition of individual notes and harmonics, or maybe more accurate dynamics.  That's about all the audiophile language I can muster. It sounds better than I can describe.  

I haven't listened to many high-end phono stages so I can't say how close the Cornet comes to the point of diminishing returns.  But I have listened to a lot of low-end stages and I know for certain that the Cornet is way ahead on the curve.

Eric H

« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2006, 02:21 am »
Very nice!  (along with the rest of your system)  Looks like you didn't do the stereo/mono switch and you must have used very short standoffs on the board because the tube sockets are above the chassis.  I used a length between Jim's spec and what you used...  5/8" maybe?  

I've posted before about the 2" Hammond chassis.  While I wouldn't say it's impossible it will definitely make things much, much more difficult...  I tried it and ended up using the 3" Hammond instead.  I think the deeper chassis looks better, too.  I see you are using both Auricaps and Jupiters - that's what I use as well - Jupiters in my Cornet and Clarinet and Auricaps in my Cit V.  Very happy with the sound...

A question:  Is that a 5Y3?  How do your plate voltages compare to the schematic?  I found mine about 10V low so I use 5AR4's instead...

troporobo

« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2006, 03:39 am »
Absolutely right about the 2" chassis - it was a tight fit.  I used 1/4" standoffs.  A 3" chassis would have been a much better idea!

Yes the rectifier is a 5Y3.  All voltages are within 2-3% of spec.  I am planning a few tube rolling experiments eventually, but for now am just enjoying listening!

amandarae

« Reply #5 on: 16 Feb 2006, 07:44 am »
Congratulations bro!

Yep, the Cornet is awesome.  Heard it from my brother's system, and I was hooked!  That's why I bought its big brother.......and live happily ever after!

Cheers

troporobo

« Reply #6 on: 17 Feb 2006, 12:35 am »
Mabuhay pare!  Very nice, but in a different league altogether!  I confess that seeing and hearing a Trumpet (briefly) on a trip to Honolulu was the event that piqued my interest in Hagerman products.  Maybe someday ...

Yoda

« Reply #7 on: 17 Feb 2006, 06:19 am »
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=16752&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

2" case + 1/4" standoff's = very tight fit.  Exactly what I did.
Nice job!