From Australia to RMAF 2011

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: From Australia to RMAF 2011
« Reply #20 on: 9 Sep 2011, 02:48 am »
I live in Denver and my parents live in Texas.  The NM drive is a lot prettier than the OK and KS drive.  But, be warned that the NM drive is through some mountains, and it can snowstorm hard, suddenly, up there.  Make sure the rental comes with snow tires and you should be fine.  "All weather" tires are a joke in those conditions, so make sure that it's full on "snow tires".  You could also buy chains if you can't get a vehicle with snow tires, but they are a pain to put on and take off.  Also, make sure you have a big ice scraper, just in case.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #21 on: 9 Sep 2011, 03:27 am »
Thanks for all the replies guys.  I'm planning to take 3 or 4 days to complete the drive, so the distance ain't an issue. 

So far then, New Mexico is looking the favourite.  I'm thinking about Roswell on the way.  What else I wonder?

Is the mid-West really that bad/boring?  Is NM really so much more interesting?  I'm also keen to travel away from main highways when possible, time permitting.
New Mexico has mountains (southern end of the Rockies) which makes it more scenic. The east side of the Rockies is FLAT. If you want flat, take the Kansas route. BUT....

October in the Rockies means that if there is any weather coming through, it can easily turn into snow.

BE PREPARED.

johnnydarko

« Reply #22 on: 9 Sep 2011, 04:42 am »
Is there a way to skirt the rockies (and see them from a distance) rather than drive through snow territory?

WGH

« Reply #23 on: 9 Sep 2011, 06:15 am »
In all likelihood the weather will be perfect, going North on I-25 through Colorado Springs is not in the mountains but you get a good view of the Rockies all the way up to Denver. If there is real bad weather no route is completely safe. The high desert interstates East of Denver like I-70 and I-76 can have white-out conditions that close the highway.

We are just saying what can happen, not what will happen, the weather for the last couple of RMAF's has been great.

I always check the Weather Underground before traveling. Last spring a group of us were going to hike the Grand Canyon but we called off the trip because of bad weather rolling into Northern Arizona, the next day roads were closed and we would have been snowed in at the hotel.
Check out my favorite weather site: http://www.wunderground.com

Wayne

johnnydarko

« Reply #24 on: 10 Sep 2011, 04:58 am »
Thanks Wayne and others.  That gives me a solid starting point.  Any other advice/suggestions gratefully received.... 

johnnydarko

« Reply #25 on: 28 Sep 2011, 02:59 am »
Can anyone recommend a reasonably-priced/good car hire company? 

(Google-searching it is like being hit with a freight train of options.)

TONEPUB

« Reply #26 on: 28 Sep 2011, 03:03 am »
All the majors are pretty similar, budget, avis, etc.

Try Travelocity or Priceline and see if you get a better rate.  And being out of town (i.e. out of the country) get the collision damage waiver.  At least here in the US, our insurance covers rental cars in the country, but not out of the country.

ltr317

« Reply #27 on: 28 Sep 2011, 03:08 am »
Can anyone recommend a reasonably-priced/good car hire company? 

(Google-searching it is like being hit with a freight train of options.)

Alamo, Budget and Dollar are usually cheaper than the major car rental companies.  I always rent from one of those three. 

johnnydarko

« Reply #28 on: 28 Sep 2011, 03:39 am »
Alamo, Budget and Dollar are usually cheaper than the major car rental companies.  I always rent from one of those three.

Thanks dude. 

johnnydarko

« Reply #29 on: 14 Oct 2011, 01:32 am »
Made it.   :thumb:

WGH

« Reply #30 on: 14 Oct 2011, 01:41 am »
Too cool! See you at The Lift Bar in the Marriott Friday night? Look for the table with all the old dudes.

Wayne

SoCalWJS

« Reply #31 on: 14 Oct 2011, 02:24 am »
Made it.   :thumb:
So, how was the drive? See anything you liked on the way?

TomS

« Reply #32 on: 14 Oct 2011, 02:29 am »
... Look for the table with all the old dudes.

:lol: Wayne, I don't think you meant it that way, but that is just tooooo funny! He'll be looking all night :wink:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #33 on: 17 Oct 2011, 02:19 pm »
Got to meet Johnny at the show....nice fellow...have a safe trip home.... :beer:

Chris

ratso

« Reply #34 on: 17 Oct 2011, 10:18 pm »
curious to hear what happened/what you thought of your trip johnny. post back when you have a chance.
« Last Edit: 18 Oct 2011, 03:45 am by ratso »

johnnydarko

« Reply #35 on: 23 Oct 2011, 10:09 pm »
The solitude of a solo road-trip in THIS kind of scenery is nothing short of life-changing:

johnnydarko

« Reply #36 on: 23 Oct 2011, 10:10 pm »
Got to meet Johnny at the show....nice fellow...have a safe trip home.... :beer:

Chris

Nice to meet you too Chris.  Just about getting over jetlag now (hurrah) and back to work (boo).  Thanks for the CDs!   :)

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #37 on: 24 Oct 2011, 04:17 am »
Hi John,

Great to meet you at RMAF!  Nice pics of your road trip to Denver!

Thanks for the the great pics and write-ups, and bringing the good music!

http://www.digitalaudionews.net.au/

Cheers!  8)

Vinnie

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #38 on: 24 Oct 2011, 06:27 am »
The solitude of a solo road-trip in THIS kind of scenery is nothing short of life-changing:

No doubt!!  Colorado is THE best state to live in, IMO.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #39 on: 24 Oct 2011, 11:17 am »
I'll second that sentiment, Tyson. Having lived in N.J., Pennsylvania, New York, Washington, Virginia and Massachusetts, I cannot understand why people choose to live in other places when Colorado is an option. We have over 300 sunny days per year out here in Fruita, very little snow each winter, and the temps seldom go below zero.