Skipping the preamp by using the Cherry DAC DAC (and related stuff)

sumoking

Re: DAC DAC
« Reply #160 on: 10 Feb 2019, 10:46 pm »
$490 DAC DAC this weekend only:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=162272.0

I have this DAC... It absolutely blew away my $3,000 Exogal Comet.
Just saying.

This DAC with my Cherry Mono Block amps is an amazing combination. My Spatial M3 Turbo S Speakers which are amazing rounds out my system.
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2019, 02:12 am by sumoking »

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #161 on: 11 Feb 2019, 04:02 am »
Will these incorporate any changes, outer case etc? 

Or will they be simply checked over for working condition (which is fine) simply wondering what the refurb encompasses.  Thanks!
New enclosures and power supplies.  Other than that, cleaned up, fully retested and repackaged.  Thanks.

DEP14

« Reply #162 on: 12 Feb 2019, 12:30 am »
New enclosures and power supplies.  Other than that, cleaned up, fully retested and repackaged.  Thanks.

Too late?

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #163 on: 12 Feb 2019, 01:54 am »
Too late?
Three hours left !!!!  Email me at Support@DigitalAmp.com if you see this after that.  Thanks (:

andrewinukm

« Reply #164 on: 13 Feb 2019, 08:50 am »
I have this DAC... It absolutely blew away my $3,000 Exogal Comet.
Just saying.

This DAC with my Cherry Mono Block amps is an amazing combination. My Spatial M3 Turbo S Speakers rounds out my system.
This is high praise, could you say a little more to compare DAC DAC vs Exogal Comet?
BTW, which DAC DAC version are you using?

Three hours left !!!!  Email me at Support@DigitalAmp.com if you see this after that.  Thanks (:
Can DAC DAC HS be upgraded by myself instead of sending it to you?

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #165 on: 15 Feb 2019, 04:45 am »
Can DAC DAC HS be upgraded by myself instead of sending it to you?
Cherry DAC DAC upgrades are fully retested and repackaged, but they travel light (3 lb total) and secure in their very well padded (soft foam) 12” x 12” x 4” double taped shipping container.  Thanks for the question.

andrewinukm

« Reply #166 on: 5 Apr 2019, 06:31 am »

I have a problem every time I hit play on Foobar.

Here's my current setup:
Laptop (Foobar)  >  ISO Regen (USB filter with isolation)  >  WaveIO (USB to SPDIF)  >  DAC DAC HS  > Nuforce STA200 amp > speakers

There is this loud hash/distorted blast of sound (that lasts for half a second) when I boot the PC with DAC plugged in, or when I first hit play after stopping the music for some time.

The amp is DC coupled.

When I switch to another DAC, I don't have such problem.

Is it because DAC DAC HS is DC coupled as well, and some static or whatever is being passed on to the amp? Or is it Foobar or something else?

How can I prevent this? (I don't want to blow my speakers, it has happened before).

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #167 on: 8 Apr 2019, 02:04 pm »
I have a problem every time I hit play on Foobar.

Here's my current setup:
Laptop (Foobar)  >  ISO Regen (USB filter with isolation)  >  WaveIO (USB to SPDIF)  >  DAC DAC HS  > Nuforce STA200 amp > speakers

There is this loud hash/distorted blast of sound (that lasts for half a second) when I boot the PC with DAC plugged in, or when I first hit play after stopping the music for some time.

The amp is DC coupled.

When I switch to another DAC, I don't have such problem.

Is it because DAC DAC HS is DC coupled as well, and some static or whatever is being passed on to the amp? Or is it Foobar or something else?

How can I prevent this? (I don't want to blow my speakers, it has happened before).
Try using Cherry USB instead of wave IO.   There no need to “doctor” the USB interface when using Cherry USB, so the “iso regen” isn’t necessary.  We even provide a gold plated USB wire.  It’s tested to show no data errors.  Clean start/stop with everything we’ve tested except Media Player when switching media mid-track and the volume cranked, and that’s only a brief DC step, inaudible most times.  We have confirmed this is Media Player’s fault, but we still use it for demos occasionally since it’s not a big deal.

Here’s the Cherry USB web page:
https://www.cherryamp.com/usb-to-spdif-converter

Cherry USB Features:
* Lossless USB to coax SPDIF conversion
* Gold Neutrik RCA output connector
* No driver installation necessary
* No power adapter needed
* Up to 384k/32b
* Slim case with standard Cherry Maraschino footprint and Anti-vibration feet
* Electrically Isolated Output to prevent gound loops
* USB 2.0 cable included

It’s also possible Foobar is sending junk data at first even though the interface is active. DAC DAC is designed to have fast start time after receiving valid data/clock.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
DAC DAC at unheard of price
« Reply #168 on: 21 May 2019, 02:03 pm »
If you’ve ever wanted one, or maybe you’re just curious....   Here’s a way to hear a precision engineered super high performance DAC in your system....

124dB, Double Differential DC coupled true balanced outputs, 0.0004% THD, quadruple conditioned power supplies, jitter immunity, and a 1” end-to-end analog signal path!! Cherry DAC DAC 1 HS/TL “no silkscreen” Demos for less than half the original price. Email Support@DigitalAmp.com for more info.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Re: DAC DAC related stuff
« Reply #169 on: 9 Jun 2019, 05:38 pm »
New web page for Cherry DAC DAC:
https://www.cherryamp.com/dac-dac-d-to-a-convertor

Some comments about DAC DAC from a Facebook group (ANA)....

About pro-audio and high signal levels (voltage):
"....also note that in pro-audio, much higher signal levels are used, making it easy to achieve super high SNR. Why? Because every step in the process adds a little noise. Noise is the enemy of audio. Consumer audio “line level” is 0.45Vpk, and pro is 1.74Vpk. This is almost 12dB higher !!"
[note the DAC DAC full scale output is 4.9Vrms]

About DAC DAC features from the 30,000 foot level:
"....They sound nothing short of spectacular! Cherry 130dB+ DAC DAC 2 HS (and HSV version with analog controlled digital attenuation) IS commercially available, and it’s true balanced, DC coupled, double differential, and designed for sonics. They are designed to facilitate direct drive of amplifiers with precise clipping level control. The design has a 1” analog signal path."
"....You might know someone local who owns one as well. Cherry Amp customers tend to be friendly and knowledgeable. They are also proud of their good taste in equipment."

About reviews:
"....if you want to know what listeners think of the DAC DAC (any version), take a look at the reviews. Google it or look here:" [link below]
"It's hard to find reviewers that aren't playing the advertising game. This is why we reply on publications like audio beatnik, KSS (pos FB), AV Nirvana, and Home Theater Review for straightforward no-strings-attached reviews. They don't demand compensation as most other's have. There must be at least 20 DAC DAC customer reviews here, plus pro reviews, plus hundreds of amp reviews in there:"
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=127654.0

About the TL version:
"We also have a tube like version that emulates tubes without the noise issues that tubes present"

About performance:
"124dB and <0.0004% THD+N is the DAC DAC 1 HS specified performance. The DAC DAC 2 HS goes to 130dB. The design is simple, not burdened with unnecessary features on a device that’s essentially what every DAC should be, digital in, super clean analog out 🙂"

About the nature of the design:
"The Cherry DAC DAC was created with SIMPLICITY and PERFORMANCE in mind. "No bells and whistles", as one might say."
"....I understand your concern with the price, but like I mentioned, we are selling DAC DAC 1 HS/TL demos for super low prices (email Support@DigitalAmp.com for info) due to the new DAC DAC 2 HS/HSV on the scene. We have upgraded MANY DAC DAC 1 units to DAC DAC 2 as a result. The DAC DAC 1 LIST PRICE has been below $1000 for something like a year now, and it competes with DACs costing 10x the price! Maybe you're happy with your built-in DAC, but until you've heard the difference (and yes, there is a NOTICEABLE one) the Cherry DAC can make, you're not aware of the sonic benefits offered. The great measurements only tell half the story. The audio beatnik guy even said this was the first DAC that improved on the one in the Oppo. This means that other attempts to improve on the Oppo's DAC (like the ones mentioned here) have NOT helped, but the Cherry DAC does! "

#Sound #Stereo #MEGAschino #DAC #DACDAC #CherryDACDAC #CherryAmp #CherryMaraschino #CherryMEGA #MaraschinoCherry #SurroundSound #Audio #HomeAudio #Amplifiers #DigitalAmpCo #HighEndAudio #miniCherry #Cherry5ch #cherry5 #5CHerry #4CHerry #3CHerry #2CHerry #HomeTheater #ExtremeAudio

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
DAC DAC -- design philosophy related
« Reply #170 on: 9 Jun 2019, 09:15 pm »
....more on philosophy with respect to development work:
"....if it doesn't affect music playback, it's not significant. The Cherry DAC DAC was designed to reproduce music, and it has been doing so for many customers over the last four years. Plus, I have compared ESS, Cirrus, ADI/LT, TI, and AKM DACs both on the bench and in the ear. There IS a difference in the sound of their reference designs. I'm not the type to claim that your system isn't resolving enough to tell. The fact remains that the difference between the reference designs is minimal. There's something going on in the highs with the ESS converters that obviously doesn't affect the way it reproduces sine waves on the bench (or full scale square waves, not that it matters). There ARE things you can't measure by conventional means, or that are neglected even when the data is there for the taking. As you might have figured out over the years, I'm a big fan of measurements, but I'm not so arrogant as to say that's all that matters! Anything Cherry is going to include my 30+ years experience designing audio electronics, and diverting from the copy-and-paste reference design of a DAC chip is no exception. Like in the movie Bugs Life, the old ant says "just like everybody else", because to him there's no reason to strive for more. There's refinement beyond the status quo.
The Cherry DAC DAC is made to sound good, and yes, better, than conventional cookie cutter DACs!"

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Re: Skipping the preamp the the Cherry DAC DAC (and related stuff)
« Reply #171 on: 13 Jun 2019, 07:30 pm »
Skipping the preamp:
Every step the audio signal goes through adds noise and distortion.   More later....

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Introducing the DAC DAC 3 !!

We are running a Kickstarter to fund development, which will be very fast, so we expect to be in full production by December.

Details here:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=172243.0

By the way, we were fully funded on DAY ONE of this project!

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Introducing the DAC DAC 3 !!

We are running a Kickstarter to fund development, which will be very fast, so we expect to be in full production by December.

Details here:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=172243.0

By the way, we were fully funded on DAY ONE of this project!
We added these rewards tonight:
  - DAC DAC 1 (HS or TL) Upgrade to DAC DAC 3 or 3S
  - DAC DAC 2 (HS or HSV) Upgrade to DAC DAC 3 or 3S