PLEASE offer input on new components: server/dac/pre/amp. $8k budget. Thanks

sonicxtc

Happy 2022. 2021 involved a lot of loss for me, including the passing in December of my mother. It's time for renewal and change.

Please AC community provide input for new system components. I am doing a complete system overall except speakers and wires. So, for the first time in years I’m “WIDE OPEN” to suggestions for new source/server, dac, pre-amp and amp.

CURRENT SYSTEM
Exogal Comet (dac/pre) feeding an Exogal Ion (amp) BOTH being sold now.
Hawthorne Trio SSI with built-in plate amplifiers and sub-woofers. Love these; will KEEP in system.
Source = Mac Mini OX S El Capitan 10.11.6 with Audirvana 3.5. I have an Auralic Airies w/Femto available, just haven’t had time to install/learn.

CONSIDERATIONS
1. Essential. The Comet has dual outputs (XLR and RCA). The XLR feeds the Hawthorne's mid/tweeter; the RCA feeds the Hawthorne's plate amps and subs. So, I need to replicate having dual outputs.
2. Hawthorne’s are 97db efficient, so almost ANY amplification will drive them.
3. BUDGET. I’d prefer to cap at $5000 all in, but will stretch to $8000 if needed. Happy to buy used gear.
4. I mostly listen to downloaded vinyl rips at 24/96. Not streaming, but willing to do so.
5. I may consider a much lower price point "good enough for now" and great for future office system, but prefer to just "go for it, now!"

Again, I’m wide open to an all-in-one, separates, etc. My thinking has been a server + dac/pre + amplifier might simplify and bypass the need for a separate pre.  PLEASE offer some suggestions.  THANK YOU
Mods, please move if this is posted in the wrong space or I can re-post as you suggest. Thanks.
« Last Edit: 10 Jan 2022, 03:18 am by sonicxtc »

JMW73

IMO, digital moves so fast it is good to keep the server and DAC duties separate from the analog section.

Keeping it in the family, I'd go with a Candela Pre-amp and amplification from Odyssey Audio (on these boards).  Klaus will work with you directly to get you what you need, matched to your speakers, and within your budget.  I have a Candela Pre and Kismet Mono amplifiers and LOVE them.  The Candela doesn't have XLR outputs, but it does have dual outputs.

As far as digital... again, it's moving fast.  I currently run a Roon server on a Windows 10 NUC (Intel NUC) that lives in my system.  Connected to a Denafrips DDC and DAC, it's about as good as I can imagine.  You can find lots of reviews of Denafrips gear online and they have a range that you can fit in your budget.  You can use their products without the DDC as they have USB inputs... I decided that I needed the additional buffer because I was using an actual computer. 

I encourage you to at last try streaming.  With the right DAC, it can sound really good.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Hi,
The Starting Block Circle is really for people to introduce themselves.
This question/thread is best posted in the Cheap and Cheerful Circle, so I will move it there for you now.

genjamon

Have you looked at the AVA Digital Pre and 225 monos? Looks like the Digital Pre has both RCA and XLR outputs (though not sure if they can be used at the same time). That would be a nice and clean/simple system that might come in within budget, and the 225’s are getting heavy accolades right now.

wushuliu

Hi,
The Starting Block Circle is really for people to introduce themselves.
This question/thread is best posted in the Cheap and Cheerful Circle, so I will move it there for you now.

Pretty sure Cheap and Cheerful is for <$1000 budget...

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Pretty sure Cheap and Cheerful is for <$1000 budget...
Claim to the Admin, he said $5000 for all in, Starting Block notice are clear I have to move it.
Please introduce yourself to the community by starting a thread here. If you are new to the site, threads posted here will be approved more quickly than anywhere else. Please DO NOT start more than one thread.

ServerAdmin

I've put it in Solid State  :thumb:

WGH

Even though I use all Van Alstine electronics (DAC, preamp, amp) I would put a slight tweak on genjamon's suggestion and substitute in the Holo Audio Spring DAC with the preamp module paired with the AVA DVA 225 monoblocks.

My reasoning is the Spring's R2R DAC will sound amazing playing your vinyl rips. There are plenty of reviews to read and watch, have fun.

https://www.kitsunehifi.com/product/spring-3-dac/

When your budget recovers you should seriously consider moving to a higher quality source than the Mac Mini, right now that is a weak link. You will be amazed at the sound quality once that noisy source is gone. I have built and tweaked music servers for 10 years and the difference can be heard as linear power supplies and an audiophile grade USB card are added. Clarity increases, image depth is greater and low level information emerges. The sound approaches vinyl playback and in my system better than my admittedly ancient turntable.

I.Greyhound Fan