advice on coffee makers

ctviggen

Re: advice on coffee makers
« Reply #80 on: 20 Oct 2009, 12:51 pm »

I am still wary of the plastic issue at the lower temperature. It's still pretty hot and I just have it in my head that the combination of heat and plastic cannot be the healthiest mix, especially where ingestion is involved.

A great brewing method, though, that Aeropress.

Best,
KT

In terms of the BPA issue, I'd do more research on this before I'd get too excited.  The "science" behind this may not be that clear-cut.  I say "science" because many times these studies are epidemiological, which means that they might "prove" correlation but not causation.  For instance, epidemiological studies suggested that fiber was protective against certain types of cancer.  That is, people who ate higher fiber got fewer cancers.  However, when they performed scientific studies, where one group ate more fiber and another group ate whatever, the studies indicated no benefit for higher fiber intake.  And that's been repeated multiple times.

ctviggen

« Reply #81 on: 4 Dec 2009, 04:39 pm »
I purchased an Aeropress very shortly after they came to market and must say, it does make very nice coffee. I highly recommend it.

I haven't used it for a little over a year, though, for this reason: I get really concerned when boiling hot water hits the plastic and heats it up for several minutes. Specifically, I'm concerned about chemical leaching, particularly BPA and pthalates ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phthalate ).

Though there seems to be no solid consensus on whether BPA actually is as bad as is claimed, there seems to be a lot of studies out there that do raise red flags for me. And that's in vessels used at room temps. Raise that to boiling temp and I'd think any sort of chemical leaching would be worse.

I was hoping, after Nalgene, Camelbak, and others changed their plastic formulation to BPA-free, that Aerobie would do the same in the Aeropress. As far as I know, that hasn't happened.

So right now I use a small Bodum glass french press. The coffee comes out different between the two. I prefer the Aeropress; it's like a cross between french press and espresso. I, myself, prefer my coffee on the strong, robust, flavorful side.

I may pull out the Aeropress again and use it very sparingly; I really like the way it makes coffee.

Too bad about he plastic thing, though. I just get a really bad feeling in my gut about mixing boiling water in plastic, letting it heat up and steep for several minutes, and then then drinking that water, day after day after day.... (incidentally, I ditched my plastic Procter-Silex plug-in water kettle and replaced it with the Capresso glass model for the same reason, and try to avoid heating food in tupperware containters in the microwave, where there tend to be numerous overheated hot spots. No, I'm not an alarmist, just taking what I feel to be reasonable, easy-to-implement-and-manage precautions just in case.)

Anyhow, just my observations and concerns.

With any of these methods, a good grinder is critical. I use a discontinued Kitchenaid Professional model that was positively reviewed on Coffeegeek.com

Best,
KT

I think that a potential problem with plastics is phthalates:

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/uncategorized/phthalates-in-obesity-and-insulin-resistance/

I thought these were only in soft plastics? 

Also, the study reviewed in the link does not prove causation; it is interesting, however.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #82 on: 4 Dec 2009, 09:27 pm »
I purchased an Aeropress very shortly after they came to market and must say, it does make very nice coffee. I highly recommend it.

I haven't used it for a little over a year, though, for this reason: I get really concerned when boiling hot water hits the plastic and heats it up for several minutes. Specifically, I'm concerned about chemical leaching, particularly BPA and pthalates ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phthalate ).

Though there seems to be no solid consensus on whether BPA actually is as bad as is claimed, there seems to be a lot of studies out there that do raise red flags for me. And that's in vessels used at room temps. Raise that to boiling temp and I'd think any sort of chemical leaching would be worse.

I was hoping, after Nalgene, Camelbak, and others changed their plastic formulation to BPA-free, that Aerobie would do the same in the Aeropress. As far as I know, that hasn't happened.

So right now I use a small Bodum glass french press. The coffee comes out different between the two. I prefer the Aeropress; it's like a cross between french press and espresso. I, myself, prefer my coffee on the strong, robust, flavorful side.

I may pull out the Aeropress again and use it very sparingly; I really like the way it makes coffee.

Too bad about he plastic thing, though. I just get a really bad feeling in my gut about mixing boiling water in plastic, letting it heat up and steep for several minutes, and then then drinking that water, day after day after day.... (incidentally, I ditched my plastic Procter-Silex plug-in water kettle and replaced it with the Capresso glass model for the same reason, and try to avoid heating food in tupperware containters in the microwave, where there tend to be numerous overheated hot spots. No, I'm not an alarmist, just taking what I feel to be reasonable, easy-to-implement-and-manage precautions just in case.)

Anyhow, just my observations and concerns.

With any of these methods, a good grinder is critical. I use a discontinued Kitchenaid Professional model that was positively reviewed on Coffeegeek.com

Best,
KT

I think that a potential problem with plastics is phthalates:

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/uncategorized/phthalates-in-obesity-and-insulin-resistance/

I thought these were only in soft plastics? 

Also, the study reviewed in the link does not prove causation; it is interesting, however.

Very interesting info,,, maybe this is why AeroPress recommends the water temperature of 185 degrees, well below the 212 degree boiling point. I'm also glad I press within a minute of adding the water so there's a minimal reaction time between the hot water and the AeroPress container. After reading this report, I think I'll be switching from plastic containers to glass when it comes to microwaving food from now on.  :roll:

Thanks for posting this Bob.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

srb

« Reply #83 on: 4 Dec 2009, 09:46 pm »
After reading this report, I think I'll be switching from plastic containers to glass when it comes to microwaving food from now on.  :roll: 

That's a good plan Robin.  I switched long ago, after sometimes being able to smell a plastic odor emanating from microwaved plastic.  If you can smell it, then chemicals are being released.

I kind of wish Aerobie would would offer a glass Aeropress model for those so inclined.  I would be willing to pay the extra cost as well as the replacement parts cost when a component breaks (and if it's glass, it probably eventually will).

But I guess if they did that, they would be inadvertantly implying that their plastic model might be unsafe.

Of course there are different strengths and thicknesses of glass.  I have dropped some heavy duty Pyrex pieces with no breakage, while I have also somehow broken the glass carafe of the Bodum French Press just by looking at it sideways.

Steve

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #84 on: 4 Dec 2009, 10:17 pm »
After reading this report, I think I'll be switching from plastic containers to glass when it comes to microwaving food from now on.  :roll: 

That's a good plan Robin.  I switched long ago, after sometimes being able to smell a plastic odor emanating from microwaved plastic.  If you can smell it, then chemicals are being released.

I kind of wish Aerobie would would offer a glass Aeropress model for those so inclined.  I would be willing to pay the extra cost as well as the replacement parts cost when a component breaks (and if it's glass, it probably eventually will).

But I guess if they did that, they would be inadvertantly implying that their plastic model might be unsafe.

Of course there are different strengths and thicknesses of glass.  I have dropped some heavy duty Pyrex pieces with no breakage, while I have also somehow broken the glass carafe of the Bodum French Press just by looking at it sideways.

Steve

I too would be happy to switch to a glass press so long is it retained the filters. I know folks who like grinds in their coffee,,, I'm not one of them.  :lol:  A also know what you mean about breakage issues. I use the Bodum double-walled glass mugs and I've had to go back to Amazon a number of times now to order 2 more mugs @ $34. :duh:  But that said, they are the best hot/cold beverage glasses I've ever used,,, minus my old Crown Royal whiskey glasses I used back when I was drinking.  :wine:

Cheers,
Robin

turkey

« Reply #85 on: 5 Dec 2009, 03:04 pm »

Yes, but... :)

You can smell some things at far lower concentrations than could possibly be harmful. In some cases it only takes a few molecules to be able to smell something.

It's probably not a bad idea to switch to glass for use in the microwave, but it may not gain you as much as you think either.

As for me, I use Corelle dishes in the microwave, covered with butcher paper to avoid splattering. I've also used Pyrex.

My coffee mugs are Bodum glass (the thick single-wall ones) and ceramic with glaze that isn't lead-based. (From Phaltzgraff, Homer Laughlin, and a local potter that I've talked to about what glazes he uses.)

I've always preferred Corelle dishes for other reasons, but it's reassuring to know that nothing will be leaching into my food from them either.

turkey

« Reply #86 on: 5 Dec 2009, 03:10 pm »

I too would be happy to switch to a glass press so long is it retained the filters. I know folks who like grinds in their coffee,,, I'm not one of them.  :lol:  A also know what you mean

There are some oils contained in coffee that really aren't that good for you. Using paper filters removes most of those oils. (I was just reading about this in a book by Joe Schwarcz - "An Apple A Day")

Some people don't like the taste of coffee that's been filtered with paper though. So, as always, YMMV. :)

This is the book:

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Day-Myths-Misconceptions-Truths/dp/1590513118

srb

« Reply #87 on: 5 Dec 2009, 03:33 pm »
You can smell some things at far lower concentrations than could possibly be harmful. In some cases it only takes a few molecules to be able to smell something.

Yes, but neither you or the scientists know exactly what those thresholds are.  The worst offenders seem to be the throwaway ones that the food is packaged in.

My coffee mugs are Bodum glass (the thick single-wall ones) and ceramic with glaze that isn't lead-based. (From Phaltzgraff, Homer Laughlin, and a local potter that I've talked to about what glazes he uses.)

I avoid any ceramic glazed pieces I'm not sure about, including all those from China.  There was a retired local couple here in Tucson who enjoyed their daily afternoon tea from their favorite tea set they bought across the border in Mexico.  When they both became seriously ill with the same symptoms, they were diagnosed with lead poisioning and it was traced to that tea set that was full of leaching lead.

There are some oils contained in coffee that really aren't that good for you. Using paper filters removes most of those oils. (I was just reading about this in a book by Joe Schwarcz - "An Apple A Day")
Some people don't like the taste of coffee that's been filtered with paper though. So, as always, YMMV.

I use the unbleached brown cone filters in the drip maker.  Prior to breaking my last French Press carafe, I cut out brown paper discs from these filters.  They were cut to size so that they wrapped around the sides of the spring filter gasket and I punched a small hole in the center.  I may get another replacement carafe and try that again, it's been awhile.

Steve

turkey

« Reply #88 on: 5 Dec 2009, 04:53 pm »

Yes, but neither you or the scientists know exactly what those thresholds are.  The worst offenders seem to be the throwaway ones that the food is packaged in.

I was just pointing out that the "smell" test may not be terribly reliable.

srb

« Reply #89 on: 5 Dec 2009, 05:04 pm »

I understand what you're saying.  But I get no smell from glass, and I'm reasonably confident it is as chemically inert as any material can be, at least when used under 1000 degrees Farenheit.

Steve

turkey

« Reply #90 on: 5 Dec 2009, 06:08 pm »

I understand what you're saying.  But I get no smell from glass, and I'm reasonably confident it is as chemically inert as any material can be, at least when used under 1000 degrees Farenheit.

Steve

You get no smell from lead crystalware either. :)

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/iyh-vsv/prod/crystal-cristal-eng.php

srb

« Reply #91 on: 5 Dec 2009, 06:28 pm »
You get no smell from lead crystalware either.
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/iyh-vsv/prod/crystal-cristal-eng.php

Actually my nose is quite sensitive, and I can detect at little as 5.6385 molecules of lead or cadmium per liter of air within 1.5 meters distance.

I am referring to glass manufactured for cooking, such as Pyrex.  One would have to be pretty foolish to use crystalware for cooking as it is most often called "Leaded Crystal".

I think the lead-containing glazes (and crystalware, thank you!) should be taken seriously.  It is a long-term cumulative effect, and by the time the concentration has built up in your body, it is often too late.

The couple who got the lead poisoning were told that if they had been drinking cold beverages from the cups, that the concentration would have been much less.  The boiling water they poured into the pot and cups increased the leaching.  I would imagine that microwaving the stuff would be worse.

Anyway, back to the coffee makers.  I am going to get a replacement French Press carafe, make my brown paper additional filters and enjoy until Aerobie makes my all-Pyrex "AeroPress-G".

Steve

a1p1

« Reply #92 on: 15 Jan 2010, 10:04 pm »
How to brew a good cup of coffee.  Very thorough. 
http://vimeo.com/8628771

gerald porzio

« Reply #93 on: 15 Jan 2010, 10:51 pm »
My experience - Hamilton Beach. Even Consumer Reports has it Numero Uno.

jermmd

« Reply #94 on: 15 Jan 2010, 11:22 pm »
How to brew a good cup of coffee.  Very thorough. 
http://vimeo.com/8628771

I didn't realize that was a joke until the very end! I watched it thinking "You gotta be kidding, nobody takes it that seriously, Haha."

pjanda1

• Industry Participant
« Reply #95 on: 21 Jan 2010, 04:40 am »
Anybody else trying the Clever Coffee Dripper?  I got tired of replacing my press pot glass, and thought I'd give this a shot.  (Half the price of switching to the unbreakable press pot plastic kit).  It has a great deal of potential, but right now I don't have the infusion time and grind dialed in.  It keeps stalling on me.  Still, I'm getting much better stuff than from a normal filter holder.  It is also considerably easier, as you don't have to grind as fine (less dialing in, less work for those of us grinding by hand).

Paul

Jason Brent

« Reply #96 on: 21 Jan 2010, 06:12 am »
Recently got the Aeropress.  Love it...although it does used more beans.  Even though I get my beans direct from a farmer in Hawaii at a great price, it is a noticeable increase in overall cost.

So I'm thinking about trying a home roaster, and was leaning towards the Nesco.  Now am thinking more along the lines of the Behmor.

shokunin

« Reply #97 on: 26 Jan 2010, 07:21 pm »
Anybody else trying the Clever Coffee Dripper?  I got tired of replacing my press pot glass, and thought I'd give this a shot.

I have the CCD from sweet marias, it's nice, but I still prefer a Vac Pot brew.   Temperature loss is still an issue like Press Pots but way more convenient on cleanup.  It's a great brewer if you're stuck in a corporate office and need an alternative, easy to clean brewer.   I can still taste the filter even though I pre-rinse.  One good thing is that it's easy enough for the wife to use. 

pjanda1

• Industry Participant
« Reply #98 on: 28 Jan 2010, 05:16 pm »
I'm enjoying the CCD more and more.  I prefer the aesthetic of the press pot though, and that counts for something in my book.  I'll be honest and say I've never had vac pot coffee.  Well, I've had coffee from an electric vac pot, but those bring temperature issues, so I won't judge all vac pots based on it.  I sometimes come upon old vac pots in junk stores, but I've been telling myself I don't need more coffee brewers.  That was before I bought the CCD.  I may have to go grab one.  Still, since I grind by hand, the CCD is great because it can use a coarser (faster) grind.  I understand that advantage applies mostly just to me, but I sure appreciate it.

Paul

srb

« Reply #99 on: 28 Jan 2010, 05:40 pm »
I can still taste the filter even though I pre-rinse.

Are you using the brown unbleached filters?

Steve