Christmas Coffee

Philistine

Christmas Coffee
« on: 2 Dec 2020, 01:43 am »
I can recommend Sweet Maria’s holiday blend - Polar Expresso Holiday Blend.
I started with 7lbs, liked it so much I bought another 10lb.  In addition to drinking it over the holiday period it’s going to make a great Christmas present for me to give coffee lovers  :thumb:

VinceT

Re: Christmas Coffee
« Reply #1 on: 2 Dec 2020, 02:07 am »
Interesting, prices are under $5 usd per pound, is this DIY roasted coffee?

Philistine

« Reply #2 on: 4 Dec 2020, 06:29 pm »
Yes, this is for green unroasted beans.  Sweet Maria's is a major supplier of green beans for the home roasting community.

2bigears

« Reply #3 on: 4 Dec 2020, 07:58 pm »
 :D can you roast the beans in an oven or that is not recommended ?   To lazy to YouTube it.  Best coffee is when you grind them directly after roasting and brew within 24 hours.   :D

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #4 on: 4 Dec 2020, 08:04 pm »
  Best coffee is when you grind them directly after roasting and brew within 24 hours. 
Most of the guys I know that roast prefer to let a roasted bean stand for at least 24-72 hours before grinding and brewing. 

VinceT

« Reply #5 on: 5 Dec 2020, 01:17 am »
Thanks for the replies and the OP for mentioning this because I LOVE coffee and been wanting to get into roasting.

Since many of you are in the know, what are some of the best ways to home roast?

2bigears

« Reply #6 on: 5 Dec 2020, 04:25 am »
 :D looks like a YouTube search would inform,, I think you need a drum device and btu's.  :D

VinceT

« Reply #7 on: 5 Dec 2020, 03:27 pm »
Looks that way. Lots of options on the market with prices all over the map and some DIY options as well.

mick wolfe

« Reply #8 on: 5 Dec 2020, 06:19 pm »
Exactly. A  ton of home roasting options are available. I started with Fresh Roast air type roasters, but over time I found them inconsistent. This especially if I was attempting lighter roasts. Can't comment on their most recent models though. Moved on to a Kaldi drum roaster. This best used over a burner of a gas range with an adequate venting system. Much easier to monitor roasting temperature at all times.... light roasts all the way thru French if desired.

mick wolfe

« Reply #9 on: 5 Dec 2020, 10:47 pm »
Most of the guys I know that roast prefer to let a roasted bean stand for at least 24-72 hours before grinding and brewing.

Darker roasts like Vienna and French can be ground/brewed within 24 hours with decent results. I buy beans from Sweet Maria's that are specified for these higher temperature dark roasts. I roast these in smaller batches because they don't  have the long haul flavor longevity of the lighter African roasts. (for me anyway) On the other hand, an nice Ethiopian dry process bean that's roasted lighter at lower temps takes closer to 48-72 hrs. to reach its flavor potential. The plus here is that it remains flavorful well beyond a week after roasting. I store roasted beans in an Airscape container. All the above has just been my experience and may not totally align with the roasting experience of others. So as always, YMMV.

johnto

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jan 2021, 12:57 am »
The Behmor coffee roaster is easy to use and makes great tasting coffee. I use mine outdoors during nice weather or with an exhaust fan in the window during colder times.