anyone have success with ss amps or class D with Alnico 6?

sugbob21

anyone have success using any of these type amps?

nortonkp

Re: anyone have success with ss amps or class D with Alnico 6?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jul 2009, 07:41 pm »
I have the Alnico 8s and am running a Resolution Audio S30 integrated amp which is based on the DNM PA3 power amp.  DNM SS amps are low powered and usually paired with single driver speakers.  They sound complete at low volume and good at high volume as well. 

From the DNM web site, "The 40 watt PA3 stereo power amplifier is a major departure from a conventional power amp design. A direct replacement for the classic DNM PA1, the PA3 tackles important new design issues that relate to sonic differences between the famous categories of power amplifiers-Valve, Transistor, Single Ended, Push-Pull, Bipolar, FET.

DNM worked hard to understand and control these new design parameters because the potential rewards are great, for example-- a class AB transistor design that can outperform a single ended triode or a class A transistor amplifier. This new DNM power amplifer design gives more power, higher sound quality, cooler running with increased reliability and much longer operating life--all important factors for customers who want the best sound and practical hi-fi at home."

Call Creston Funk at Concert Sound if you want more information about Resolution Audio and/or DNM.  Good luck with your search, Kevin

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jul 2009, 07:05 pm »
I have Super 6 Alnico monitors, Deep Hemp sub, Red Wine Audio Isabella Pre/DAC and RWA Signature 30.2 amp (battery operated 30 watts class-D). Use streaming digital from Macbook.

Friend visited the 4th weekend, who had heard several of my previous systems. All she could say was "Wow those are great speakers!"

Other comments I get are "sounds like the musicians are in the room".

You get the idea -- The system sounds incredible.

Kent

Eadron

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jul 2009, 07:52 pm »
Hi,

I've been using custom-made WE91300B amp for some four months and occasionally swapping it to the RWA 30.2 stereo amp. Both suits fine to my Omega 8" XRS. But the upgrade bug (I thought I'd have got rid of it  :lol:)kept disturbing me and forced me to choose one path over the other..

Now I have the 70.2 monos and boys it sounds fantastic, you wouldn't believe it  :drool:..

Therefore I easily believe, that certain D-amps (or T-amps for that matter) are quite a good match to Omega Alnico 6"s  :wink:.

Jouni

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jul 2009, 08:15 pm »
Hi,

I've been using custom-made WE91300B amp for some four months and occasionally swapping it to the RWA 30.2 stereo amp. Both suits fine to my Omega 8" XRS. But the upgrade bug (I thought I'd have got rid of it  :lol:)kept disturbing me and forced me to choose one path over the other..

Now I have the 70.2 monos and boys it sounds fantastic, you wouldn't believe it  :drool:..

Therefore I easily believe, that certain D-amps (or T-amps for that matter) are quite a good match to Omega Alnico 6"s  :wink:.

Jouni
I would love to try the monos.

sugbob21

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jul 2009, 09:28 pm »
thanks for the responses. i didnt want to say what i was currently using to see the suggestions. i am using a Mcintosh c-42 solid state preamp with a RWA 30-2. i had previously used a Blueberry Extreme tube preamp. To my ears, the Mcintosh blew away the Blueberry in dynamics, more solid bass , quieter background, soundstage etc. i therefore got the upgrade bug thinking i could improve on the RWA. A mcintosh amp came to mind and have also been reading about the Wyred4sound amps. Seems everyone favored tubes over solid state with the Alnicos hence my original question. would any of these amps be an upgrade to the RWA ? should i look into the 70.2 monos?
In another direction should i look into an integrated with el-34 tubes such as a Rogue Cronus or smething from Cayin?
i have never heard the Alnicos with these tubes. am i missing anythingby not going in this direction. i love the speakers(also havre the deephemp cube sub) even with the current setup , just trying to get all the potential out of them.

Eadron

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jul 2009, 08:23 am »
I would love to try the monos.
[/quote]

Kent,

Vinnie describes quite succesfully the differences between those two at his website. Basically, what've you been enjoying with the 30.2 stereo amp you definitely got everything and more (a lot more to my ears) by the 70.2 monos.

jouni

genjamon

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jul 2009, 02:25 pm »
Well, I'm in an experimental mode myself.  My Peachtree Nova should arrive this weekend and some second-hand Wyred SX-500 mono's next week.  Should be some very interesting experimenting with different combo's.  Omega Hemptones vs. Tyler Acoustics.  Channel Islands & KingRex vs Nova.  Sig. 30.2 vs. Wyred on Omega vs. Tyler. 

I won't get to all the possible combinations, but I'll try to report a bit of my findings for those interested.

~Ben

Bemopti123

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jul 2009, 03:32 pm »
Perhaps might be not be applicable but here I go.  I have a pair of MLTL speakers using large Alnico woofers in the F200A Fostex driver. 

It has never sounded better with any sort of amplifier than with a pair of OP CHIP powered amplifiers.  Not class D, but op chip a la Gaincard. 

These amplifiers are rather crudely made but paired with decent Alnicos produce an image that I would consider quite "dense" or "robust" sounding, which btw can sound quite balanced, a sound that does not deprives you of air at the expense of lack of fundamental lows.  Of course, my speakers are one thing and yours might be quite another, especially due to the type of speaker design. 

This is something you should consider before spending $$$$ on expensive amplification. 

Paul

sugbob21

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jul 2009, 04:34 pm »
Hi Ben
would be very interested in hearing your views on the Wyred 4sound monos vs the RWA 30.2 with your various speakers.
Pls post a report when you are able
tks
Bob

genjamon

« Reply #10 on: 14 Jul 2009, 02:58 pm »
Sure thing.  The NOVA has been sounding good all weekend and yesterday.  The Wyred amps show up tomorrow, but I'm moving to a new house this weekend and it will take some time to set up in the new house and experiment.  I should have something to say on all this by the end of next week.

~Ben

ZLS

« Reply #11 on: 14 Jul 2009, 06:35 pm »
    A sweet little intergraded amp is the Rega Brio 3.  It is not much money (comparatively) speaking and it lends itself to mods. 

I am running the 4 1/2" drivers.