About Magnepan's Chat Room

James Tanner

• Industry Contributor
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
About Magnepan's Chat Room
« on: 10 Feb 2011, 04:59 pm »
Dear Magneplanar Enthusiasts, 

James Tanner has been a friend for many years and I asked him for a favor. I realize we need to be involved in chat rooms and forums, however, we are faced with some very tough choices. We have a very small staff and there is a perpetual list of important things which are NOT getting done---some of them quite serious. (And, no, hiring more people is not an option at this point.) So, James and I hatched this idea.

Essentially, James will be "covering my back". It is a big No-No to fail to return customer phone calls in a timely manner. And, if you start a forum, you had darn well better do a good job. James has confided in me of the time he devotes to facilitating this site. (He feels it is well worth it.) I look at what I am not getting done and then subtract that amount of time.........well........... that would be a disaster.

Since James has owned Maggies for many years, he is well-qualified to participate in this forum. Between us, we hope to be of service to you.

So, what's in it for James (and Bryston)? We can't fully compensate him, but, we would be willing to loan him a pair of MMGs. Yes, we are frugal.  :)

This is an experiment, and we can't be sure how well it will work. But, here goes..........  PLEASE SEE MAGNEPAN CHAT ROOM THREAD

Wendell Diller

Hi All,

On a related subject-- We often get asked-- "Why do you always show with Bryston at CES?" We have heard the comments (and criticisms) that we are endorsing Bryston electronics over other brands.

Dear Audiophiles-- You are reading WAY too much into it. Yes, Bryston makes really good stuff. (Have you seen Harry Pearson's comments about the 28B?)  But, our little staff has NO time to A-B amplifiers. You may have noticed that we are not getting all of our work done. Even if set out to determine what is the very best match with Maggies (at each price point), it would be a daunting task. About the time we would complete all the testing, a model change or modification would make the tests irrelevant. As we state on our FAQ, we are not the last word on amplifiers (or other ancillary products). We leave that to the reviewers to sort out.

So, the reason is very simple. Bryston makes good products and they make it VERY easy for us at CES. So easy, in fact, that we are a bit spoiled. Why, James even brings coffee and donuts.  :)

Wendell
« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2011, 04:55 pm by James Tanner »