stick with my Harbeth's or get some Magnepan speakers?

BobM

Re: stick with my Harbeth's or get some Magnepan speakers?
« Reply #20 on: 13 Jan 2010, 09:43 pm »
Ken,

I looked over at the mods you pointed us to (http://www.indiespinzone.com/magnestand.html) and they do look interesting. It is hard to swallow though that an MMG (probably selling used for $400-500) owner would spend an additional $2000 custom wood frame and crossover upgrade. The same mod cost to a $5000 3.6 though may make more sense.

I know, the parts and labor involved for either is probably close to the same, so the mod cost is close to the same. However you would never get more than half this (and I'm being generous) back on a pair of modded MMG's, and I doubt that anyone with a pair of these would part with them if the sound is good. At lest not after spending 3x-4x their price on this mod.

Still, you never know. It would be great to grab a pair of these and check them out though. I bet they do sound pretty fantastic after modding.

SkyBlue

« Reply #21 on: 13 Jan 2010, 11:30 pm »
I've had MMG's before. Just great for vocals, single instruments, guitar, piano. Not so great with hard driving rock without using a sub, in my system. Always thought the cats would tear up the cloth on the MMGs but they never touched them.  If I had Harbeth's, i'd stick with them.

pardales

« Reply #22 on: 14 Jan 2010, 12:41 am »
I used to own Mag's a long time ago (1.5QR), when I had the ability to set them up properly, and loved them. Never warmed up to the 1.6's. The new 1.7's sound like they are worth and audition. I also had a pair of the Compact 7's (last model) in my home for audition a year or so ago. Very different presentations and also very different power requirements so you will have to consider amplification.

Audition the 1.7's (in your own home if possible -- even if you have to pay a little) and see what you think. I find speakers can sound dramatically different in different rooms. Both are great speakers.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #23 on: 14 Jan 2010, 01:01 am »
This question is right my alley as I recently tried to switch to the MG12s. My advice is to bring them home for a trial. If you are lucky the dealer has a pair of demos or trade ups to loan. When I listened in the showroom the first time I was certain I would buy them. The next trip I brought my own music for a listen. I thought "I don't know."
Bringing them home for an audition was the key. I listened for a few days, trying to get the best position, and decided they were too bright for me. The dealer suggested the resisistors to tame the tweeter. This helped but still they weren't what I was hoping for. Then I put on one of my favorite cds and they made this cd unlistenable. I tried some more positioning but could not get the sound right.
For comparison I put my speakers back in and thought "what am I  doing here?" My Meadowlark Kestrels sounded so good that night.
The Maggies went back. It was a good experience and best of all, my itching curiosity has been scratched. I say bring them home for a listen.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #24 on: 14 Jan 2010, 03:21 am »
The only reason I don't own a pair is because the wife clearly stated that there would be no way she would allow "those panels" in our family room.  Too bad wives weren't as interchangeable as speakers although I'm not too sure what mine would fetch on the used market these days :lol:

Why not post her photo and see what your wife's trade-in value would be?    :lol:

ken

« Reply #25 on: 14 Jan 2010, 08:25 pm »
Bob,

I was totally blown away by them and  someday hope to own a pair.  The modded version sound nothing like the standard version, not even close.  Initially it does appear to be a little over the top spending that much on  mods but he really does transform them into something special, physically and sonically and once you hear them I'd be willing to bet you wouldn't want to part with them for a very long time.   If I'm not mistaken I think Duke from Audiokinesis may have a pair, or used to

BobM

« Reply #26 on: 14 Jan 2010, 09:26 pm »
Well, if the mod is primarily a replacement of the existing MDF frame with a high quality full wood one, it should be doable by anyone who has reasonable woodworking skills.

I think the real +++ is his reworking of the crossover. I'm sure he keeps that proprietary, but I would love to know what's in there. Again, that's just a little parts replacement and some solder. There are probably a myriad of Maggie crossover replacements/upgrades if you do a search, so who's to say his version isn't really something similar to what's available and freely given.

I would be up for this experiment myself if I come across a pair of MMG's on the cheap (Craigslist maybe?). A little bit of cherry wood and some decent caps and resistors and I think I could probably pull this off for $700-800 all in.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #27 on: 14 Jan 2010, 09:48 pm »
I think the real +++ is his reworking of the crossover. I'm sure he keeps that proprietary, but I would love to know what's in there. Again, that's just a little parts replacement and some solder. There are probably a myriad of Maggie crossover replacements/upgrades if you do a search, so who's to say his version isn't really something similar to what's available and freely given.

I would be up for this experiment myself if I come across a pair of MMG's on the cheap (Craigslist maybe?). A little bit of cherry wood and some decent caps and resistors and I think I could probably pull this off for $700-800 all in.

Bob,

I went whole hog on my MMG's a few years ago...full top 'n bottom Mye stands, outboard crossovers, full re-wire and eliminate the fuse.  Of all, I thought the Mye stands provided the biggest bang of the bunch.

Everybody is different I realize in what we hear...but that was my take on it  :)

John

BobM

« Reply #28 on: 14 Jan 2010, 09:52 pm »
So John, what did the stands do for the sound? I assume you liked it alltogether, because you kept them. Was it worth all the cost of these changes or would you go a different route if you had to do it all again?

ken

« Reply #29 on: 16 Jan 2010, 03:11 pm »
Bob,

It's quite possible you could do the full wood frames yourself if you have decent wood working skills, and yes, I believe his xover mods are propietary but I'm sure you could come close with that as well.  do a query over at the planar asylum  P.G. is fairly active over there and there are many people who have had their maggies modded by him.  I don't mean to sound like a shill for him but he happens to live fairly close to me - 100 miles or so and I was curious so I drove over to his house for a demo and I left quite impressed.  It didn't hurt his room was very treated as well.  That being said I have never heard any other modded maggies to compare his to

TheChairGuy

« Reply #30 on: 16 Jan 2010, 04:31 pm »
So John, what did the stands do for the sound? I assume you liked it alltogether, because you kept them. Was it worth all the cost of these changes or would you go a different route if you had to do it all again?

Bob: The stands firmed up the sound and lifted the soundstage to (roughly) the right height.  The panels on the bigger Maggies are taller and wider...but note that they are a lot thicker too.  Controlling the panel resonances are a key to dialing in better Maggie sounds...I think that's what the tauter Mye stands help with, too.

The whole enchilada was sold to a local AC'er out here (if he's reading this post he may identify himself and speak of it's virtues - last I heard he still had them, two years ago)

The reason was that any Maggie, even the baby MMG, needs a goodly sized room to breathe.  It was stuck in a 12 x 15 x 8' room and was not at all happy.  I set them up at the new owners place - a room I'd estimate at 15 x 30' with taller ceilings than 8' (it encompassed his living room and kitchen) - and they sounded as I had hoped they would have in his home - terrific :)

I bought the MMG's very lightly used for $400, I think the full Mye stands were almost $500 and the outboard crossovers and re-wire was near another $500.  For, ~$1500, if you have the right room (I preferred them on strong tube amplification, too) they are a very good deal.

I think folks buy more speaker than they oftentimes should in speakers (I have, at least....I had room integration issues with Camber and Vandersteen floorstanders, too).  Integrating the right size speakers into the right size room without inducing 'room boom' and unnaturalness is pretty easy if you set your sights lower, not higher. 

Two small floorstanders (with 6" woofs) or a couple standmounts with a very small sub for bass emphasis is all most ordinary two channel rooms need. My opinion, of course. Okay, that's another topic, tho  :roll:

John

drphoto

« Reply #31 on: 17 Jan 2010, 03:20 am »
Replying to John's last post. Yes, room interactions are critical. I think that may be why the ideas of Dr. Geddes....controlled dispersion mid/high speakers along w/ multiple subs is starting go catch fire. ( w/ proper room treatment) BTW: I'm not schilling for Gedlee, I don't  own his speakers. I do run multiple subs in accordance w/ the theory. It works.

hifitommy

stick with my Harbeth's AND get some Magnepan speakers
« Reply #32 on: 20 Jan 2010, 04:53 am »
i happen to have spendor s3/5s and my friend got MMGs and maggie 12s.  he opted to keep the 12s and sold me the MMGs which i alternate now and again.  its pleasurable to switch now and then.  i also have a sub so that area of the spectrum is covered for both speakers. 

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #33 on: 21 Jan 2010, 04:00 pm »
Harbeth speakers haven't really done much for me. They're kind of just another bunch of drivers-in-a-box. They seem overly polite and not a very good value. That's kind of typical of British speakers in the US...

The Maggies are much more interesting. I think you either like them or you don't, but you'll definitely have an opinion on them.
i agree, for the most part, regarding the maggies.  you definitely want to hear the maggies.  i, for one, would take the harbeths over the maggies, even tho i have never heard harbeth's.  why?  cuz i have heard maggies.   gimme "just another bunch of drivers-in-a-box" over maggies any day!  :wink:

ymmv,

doug s.

jackfish

« Reply #34 on: 1 Apr 2010, 04:10 pm »
I bought a pair of 9 month old Magnepan MMGs and I'm hoping I can get them in to Peter Gunn for the Magnestand upgrade this fall.  Has anyone here actually heard Magnestand Magnepans?  I heard a pair of MG12 Magnestands and they are a completely different animal.  Much more detailed and dynamic than the stock version.  It would be interesting to see some measurements on them because they seem to achieve about 10 Hz lower low end frequency response and gain about 6 dB in efficiency.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #35 on: 1 Apr 2010, 04:24 pm »
All I know is that you gotta scratch your itch.  It just gets worse the longer you wait.  FWIW, I like full panels.

turkey

« Reply #36 on: 1 Apr 2010, 05:06 pm »
Thanks a lot all for the descriptions of the sound.  I have a dealer pretty close by where I work.  I'll make an appointment to hear the new 1.7s (they told me Early Feb they will be on display).

I'll bring some music I am familiar with and make a decision.  Also I didn't think the MMGs would be a accurate representation of what these puppies can do.  I appreciate the help, I just have to go hear for myself it seems.

The MMGs would certainly give you an idea of how a planar speaker works in your listening room, but since you have a local dealer you should head over there first and take a listen to some Maggies.

Based on my experience, Maggies sound quite different from how Harbeth's sound. I'm not really a fan of either one, but I have heard them enough to say I think they're very different creatures.

If you do like the Maggies at your dealer, make sure you arrange for a home trial or return privileges before buying them. I've heard numerous times that they are very room-dependent, and I can vouch for how awful they can sound in a poor room - like a hotel room at a show.