I have maggies 20.1 looking for Amps McCormack or Sanders new 500 amp

bobtrav

I need all of you help I am thinking of Bi amping them with Sanders sound and a Behringer DCX 2496 digital crossover 
OR McCormacks new 750 monos into the maggies bi-wired with no Bi amping but the possibility of using separate inputs into them for sterio vs Home theater which they are part of.

Looking for anyone with experience with Rogers equipment or McCormack amps  I have a huge room 40x30 with 12 foot walls and 20 ft ceiling

*Scotty*

bobtrav,You may want to verify that your Magneplaner 20.1 can safely reach the THX reference level for peak SPL at your listening position. This is 105dB for any single channel and 115dB for the LFE channel. Your 20.1's are rated for a maximum power input of 250watts@8ohms and play at 85dB for a 2.83volt input.  In a room as large as yours is you may run out of peak dynamic range and pop the speakers fuses during a dramatic scene with loud sound effects,ie explosions,gunfire,straffing runs,etc. See Reference Level in link for more info.
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_13_1/feature-article-thx-1-2006-part-1.html
Scotty

geowak

I have a McCormack DNA-125 and really like it. I used to have an Odyssey Stratos with cap upgrade- but this amp clearly out performs it. I would love to get the DNA-500 or mono amps. I also heard that Clayton amps are very powerful and sound sweet.

bobtrav

I have a pair of 750's hooked up tonight for the first time.  They are very sweet and good definition and super detail but I think a little soft for me.  I can see why people like Damps.

Brown

Have owned several pairs of Maggies. The amps that worked best for me were SS Amps. The Maggies require mucho voltage to operate their best. That being said, the amp IMO was not the key factor to better sound. it was when a tubed preamp was inserted in the system with the SS Amp.
  Combos that worked welll for me are ; VAC Rennisance with Classe DR25, Bryston 4B with CJ PV10. If you looking to Biamp a Bryston 4B on the bottom and CJ Sonograph on top. A Bryston crossover in lieu of Tact. Almost forgot the Audible Illusions 3A and Bryston combo, also very good.
   No need to chase the latest and greatest SS Amp at retail. The older models work very well and are available used.

trout2

McCormack amps are really a good match for Maggies as they double their output into 4 ohms...Lot's of good-old-current which Maggies love. Can't help ya with the Sanders gear. As mentioned above, a good tube preamp/processor mated to a big SS amp is a great recipe for your big Maggies....

Minn Mark

I'm driving 3.6Rs with one stereo, Audio by Van Alstine 440H--220w into 8 ohms, and stable to drive one ohm load.  Plenty of power and good watts per bucks ratio.

Cheers,

Mark

ajzepp

I will second what Brown said...Maggies LOVE tubes, and the sound I'm getting from my 3.6s with my Butler amps and SAS preamp is very tasty.