Advice on where to add WAF treatments

scp2

Re: Advice on where to add WAF treatments
« Reply #20 on: 11 Jan 2011, 03:42 am »
Thanks for all the input. I need to clarify a few things, first I am not trying to make this room in to an ideal listening room by audiophile standards. If I want that I know I will have to relocate to another room  in the house..which is an option if I so decide.

This room is where I like to spend my evenings. As far as WAF I can always say this is what we are doing and that is it...but this is not my style..I am very consious to making sure our home is that.... OUR home. My desires are to optimize an already good listening experience in to a better one.

My room and system already excede my expectations when I started in this hobby...but as most of you know...we are all looking for the nirvana that does not exist.

If in the future I looking to put together the ideal room...that is another thread.

JohnR

« Reply #21 on: 12 Jan 2011, 10:21 am »
I am very consious to making sure our home is that.... OUR home. My desires are to optimize an already good listening experience in to a better one.

Hi, a nice message to read (truly, and I respect that). I'm wondering in that case if you might employ not just some EQ as suggested above but also the sub you already have (for two-channel as well as for HT). That would probably enable you to take care of the worst of the bass problems.

I'll disagree with the above posters in that I don't think that large $$ are required here. But at any rate you can certainly do worse than start with a miniDSP - see my article here: http://www.hifizine.com/2010/09/subwoofer-equalization-and-integration-with-the-minidsp-2x4/

You would need to invest in some basic measurement gear and more importantly the time to learn how to use it. However without that it's mostly going to be guesswork anyway.

scp2

« Reply #22 on: 12 Jan 2011, 02:01 pm »
Thanks John...that does look interesting...will have to look in to how to utilize running mono blocks..I am sure it can be done...not sure I am ready to invest the time right now...but maybe a future project.

So far what I have decied to do is play a little with moving the speakers. Last night I moved my speakers out about 10". They did slide easier than I thought...so can move back and forth. When I did I remembered why I had them back so far...me being a newbie thought they need a side wall to reflect off of to get center staging..and on the right side there is very little wall. After moving them out I realized this is wrong..I kept the center stage and even added some depth. Nice!! To move them out more is going to require removing the side chair on the left  Hmm...not going to happen...but could move the table next to it which would allow me 6-10" more.

I ordered these inexpensive base traps...to put in to the corners to se what happens. I was limited because of the window on the left and teh ladder on the right. http://nextacoustics.com/Products_Detail.php?ProductID=10

These will serve two purposes...first see what happens to the bass and spark the " what are those?" Then the further discusssion about room acoustics.

JohnR

« Reply #23 on: 13 Jan 2011, 01:09 am »
So far what I have decied to do is play a little with moving the speakers. Last night I moved my speakers out about 10".

Excellent  :thumb: