Air space

drummermitchell

Air space
« on: 2 Mar 2012, 03:50 pm »
Would like to know if the back wall has bass trap panels and you have solid backed diffusers in front say 4"-6",
will the bass traps still have an effect.
My wall at the back is only 8'W,but the width of the back of the  room is 12'(which opens up to a hallway.
As I have two monster traps on that back wall and I'm wanting to try diffusion(hopefully in front of the traps).
There is Realtraps diffusers with trapping in the back,so those could be installed in the front of my existing traps.
Or  there are Gik and RPG diffusers that are solid diffusers.
Either I keep the bass trapping there or don't use them depending on the best way to go,solid diffusers or ones with
existing trapping,that way I can have use my existing traps :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:.,

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Re: Air space
« Reply #1 on: 2 Mar 2012, 05:13 pm »
^^^ This is exactly why I designed the RealTraps Diffusers to absorb bass at lower frequencies below their diffusing range. The rear wall behind you creates the most direct reflections at all frequencies. So you always need absorption for bass frequencies, whether you diffuse mids and highs or not. Now, some diffusers are made of flimsy plastic, which lets bass pass through. So that type would work well in front of bass traps, assuming they're a proper QRD design. But diffusers made with thick wood will reflect bass before it gets to traps behind. In my living room I have MondoTraps behind the diffusers for even more bass trapping.

--Ethan

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: 2 Mar 2012, 05:35 pm »
You wouldn't want any sort of mass in front of the Monsters.  That said, we've used our Grid Fusors attached to the front of the Monsters to do exactly what you're looking for.  Their mass is light enough that the bass absorption will still work fine.

Bryan

drummermitchell

« Reply #3 on: 2 Mar 2012, 06:37 pm »
Thanks Ethan and Bryan,now I'm closer to a decision.
Don't know which took longer to decide on,my cinemascope screen or diffusion :lol:.