Current or Voltage Drive for FR? And why?

Viridian

Current or Voltage Drive for FR? And why?
« on: 31 May 2008, 01:44 pm »
I have a couple of Class D TA10.1's I am using, mostly for my Fostex 167S's with bass augmentation (biamping). I am thinking of upgrading to a better amp. Was thinking of something like the F3. That is a current drive amp, right, or is it voltage drive like the F1, F2? Is it suitable for FR drivers? Can anyone explain to me why?

Thanks,
Erik

Ed Schilling

Re: Current or Voltage Drive for FR? And why?
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2008, 07:17 pm »
Viridian,
The F1 and F2 are current amps. The F3 is a JFet amp....the F4 is a "power buffer".

Ed

edit.....they are all good and will all work well, better than ANY digital amp as far as I am concerned.  I like the F1 and F4 the most. Tie between those two if I had to be pinned down.
« Last Edit: 31 May 2008, 07:35 pm by Ed Schilling »

Viridian

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jun 2008, 01:13 pm »
Thanks Ed for the reply, but can anyone tell me why a current amp would be the choice for a given driver over Voltage source? I believe I saw something relating to passive xo networks not playing well with one or the other?

Thanks,
Erik

Ed Schilling

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jun 2008, 06:54 pm »
Erik,
Go to Firstwatt.com and download the F1 manual. It should tell you all you need. You should get the info straight from Nelson Pass!
Most of what you will hear will be wrong and I have no interest in correcting stuff. Call me if you want a verbal version. I hate to type.
The F1 was built for "our speaker" and I sent Mr. Pass some drivers to use when he developed it. Others sent him stuff too. A lot of my guys have them, for good reason.
Ed