Spare time S&Gs

sts9fan

Spare time S&Gs
« on: 22 Jan 2008, 10:41 pm »
This is what I did with a spare hour yesterday.  They are Tang Band 2" widerangers in some media bottles.  I cut the tubes to be 1/4 wave at Fs.  I also lightly stuffed the tubes with acoustic stuffing. I think I will use them for my computer speakers with a Amp6basic.  They sound pretty fun for an hours "work".  I F'ed with different lengths of tube just as an experiment to hear for myself the changes.  I think I may build a mini "sub" with the 4" tang Band bass driver PE has.  The sound of these little guys is quite tubey with a bit of bottleyness.   

SET Man

Re: Spare time S&Gs
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jan 2008, 11:13 pm »
Hey!

Man! They are very cute! :D

How do you managed to cut those bottle and secured those drivers to the bottle?  :scratch:

I believe that those 2" TB driver only goes down to about 150 to 200hz right? Yes, length of the tube is important.

I've built 2 pairs of with 3" TB drivers myself. Instead of cutting them exactly at the Fs point trying one a bit longer and one just 10hz shorter... I actually ended up with the one 10hz shorter and they sound pretty good :D Strangely my main speaker length is actually longer than the driver fs point... but they sound great! :inlove: Well, I guess because of the different QTS also. :D

Stuffing is very critical with these. Instead of putting all your stuffing in the tube. You might want put them in the bottle behind the driver. Put some in the bottle and if the sound seems slow and muddy than take some out... or add more if the sound seems hollow, especially in the midrange :D

Well, maybe a small T-line 6" woofer would be nice with them. :D

Anyway, thanks for sharing and keep us posted on the progress :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

sts9fan

Re: Spare time S&Gs
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2008, 11:55 pm »
Thanks

the bottles are plastic so a razor and some small snips did it.  The drivers are held in with zip-ties then I "sealed" the whole mess up with speaker seal putty.  I think I will make some T-lines with a pair of these
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-824