"A Really SUPER Preamplifier!" - An Audio by Van Alstine "Super PAS Three!"

bregez

We miss you Bill!!  Please take care of yourself.
Brad

Indiansprings

Is he OK? Last we heard he was down with the Flu.  :scratch:

Bill Thomas

Howdy, Friends!

Rumors of my demise have been *slightly* exaggerated, but things HAVE been challenging during the past two weeks.  It just goes to show you that trying to clear out a warehouse full of parts while you have the flu is NOT a great idea.  While I managed to get everything out of the warehouse, I *should* have left all the dust and dirt behind, rather than take it with me in my lungs!

I am *gradually* getting my strength back and will attempt to finish our current project as soon as humanly possible.  I hope you'll give me a little leeway during the recuperation period and I apologize for being away so long.  It simply couldn't be helped.  It's truly been a case of "First, I thought I was gonna die.  THEN, I was afraid I wouldn't!"

Now, if I can *only* find a way to put up several million parts that have filled the garage, the den, the living room, the hallway...etc.  Eventually, I will set up a website to offer these parts to D.I.Y. folks.  I wish I could say that they were all "Dynaco Specific," but we're talking about things like Allen-Bradley carbon-composition resistors, terminal strips, tube sockets, and more.  There WILL be PLENTY of components available, but getting this whole mess re-organized will be a long-term situation.  But, as James Garner once said in a Maverick episode, "I'm a-workin' on it."

So much to do, so little strength and time.  Thanks a BUNCH for your concern during my absence.  I truly hope that things will "move along" at a somewhat quicker pace now.

Gettin' old stinks!  In fact, there's only one thing WORSE than gettin' old.  NOT gettin' old!  Then again, Mickey Mantle had it right,  "If I knew I was gonna live this long, I would've taken better care of myself."  I'm just glad to still be here!  For awhile,  I wasn't *quite* sure that would be the case.  But it proves to me beyond all doubt that God is truly merciful!  (Or else, He just isn't *quite* ready for me yet.)  I guess you folks will just have to put up with me a little while longer!  I hope you don't mind too much.

Sincerely,

Bill Thomas

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
Good to hear from you Bill.  Glad you are doing better now.  Of course your health comes before AC reports.

When you get into inventorying your "stuff" I have an unusual request.

A client called me asking for a bottom plate for a PAS preamp and ST-70 amp.  It seems they set in a repair shop for far too long and when he finally got them back the bottom plate for both were missing.

I did refer him to you, but it probably was while you were down.  I wonder if you actually might have stuff like that. I hope you don't mind my referrals as a source of last resort for some of these things.  I do have a few misc. Dyna parts left over here, but they mostly have been used up over the years.

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Bill Thomas

Dear Frank,

Thanks for the kind wishes.  (I need all the help I can get!)  I will have NO problem coming up with a bottom plate for a PAS preamp, but the Stereo 70 might be a bit more problematic due to nickel pitting issues.  Nevertheless, I'll take a look and see what I can find in this MASS of stuff I recently moved from the warehouse.  (There ain't room to "swing a cat" around here right now!)

Sincerely,

Bill Thomas

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
Hang in there Bill.  I'm back from an intense work week in China and must say the Mickey was right. :icon_lol:

Opus Flatus

Bill get well soon. I have really enjoyed your expert craftsmanship and detailed threads outlining your rebuilds. The pictures are great. It has inspired me to do some future rebuilds. I have done SuperPas3 and Ultimate 70 rebuilds and they look nothing like your's :drool:. They do sound great thou. Look fwd to future posts.

Rocket

Hi Bill,

I hope you get better soon.  It isn't nice having the flu especially when summer is almost here.

I'm a bit of a nosy bugger and I have to ask how on earth did you accumulate so much gear?  I'd love to get one of your rebuilds one day.  The workmanship looks high quality imo.

Regards

Rod

Indiansprings

Dang Bill, Are you OK?

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Hey Bill - Hope the recovery is still progressing, if not as quickly as we'd all wish. When you are ready we're all looking forward to your return.   :thumb: 

JD

Listens2tubes

Yes Bill, I check evey day for your return. I hope you are getting along okay.

boycephoto

Hey Bill,

We all hope you are getting better.  I took your advise about the PAS volume control. 
The Alps works great, so much better than the old stock control.  I did get it from RS, and the first one I tried worked perfect.  Thanks for your help and advise. Get well soon  :wave:

Dave

Bill Thomas

Thanks to everyone who has been concerned about my current health status.  After several "false starts," I am *almost* ready to get back into the swing of things.  I absolutely HATE to be sidelined by health problems, but this time, I'm taking my Doctor's advice in order to avoid any relapses (like the three that plagued me after my previous overly "optimistic" reports.)

I'm here.  I WILL be contributing again shortly.  And I AM truly sorry for the long delays.  Recovery is a witch, ain't it?  (Pardon my angst here.)

MOST Sincerely,

Bill Thomas

ratso

*whew* that's a relief to hear you're ok! thanx for checking in and take your time recovering.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Good to hear the Docs are about ready to turn you loose, and you are feeling ready to rock & roll again. We'll patiently await your next report, and try not to overdue it organizing the 'warehouse'.

JD

Russellc

Very nice project, I love this Pre amp.  Your build is top notch, I wish I had it when I first built a Suiper PassIII.  I built 2 of them in the 90's and they are both still in daily use.

On thing I would mention, is the use of solder.  While many mistakes can be made in solder choice concerning electronics, and there is nothing AT ALL wrong with the recommended Kester, It isnt the only solder that works, and many silver bearing solders will work as well if not better, albeit at a price....sometimes.  I have used, since my very first DIY days, the Radio Shack 6sn2 type (2% silver) with excellent results.  In fact, I've used it in every project I have ever done.  Since these 2 Super Pass III pre amps were built around 1995, they have been in constant use for over 15 years with absolutely no problems, all solder joints are as fresh and shiney as the day they were done, and I have experienced no cold joints.

Similarly, the Kestor will cause no problems and I'm taking nothing away from it, and unless you have knowledge that a particular solder is durable for electronics, the Kestor should be your go to.

Stock up boys, who knows when they will take lead bearing solder off the market altogether!

Another thing about this kit....unlike many circuit boards that are so delicate resoldering will likely lift traces, these boards are built like a tank.  Some of the best I've seen in any kit!

Hope to read the finale soon!

Best wishes,

Russellc

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
Hi Bill,

I am just wondering when you will have time to get back to and finish this project.

When illness laid you low a year ago you seemed to have it almost done and were starting testing.

I sure hope you are feeling enough better now to complete it.  The Super Pas Three rebuild is still a good seller here and still makes audiophiles on a budget very happy.

If you just can't do it now, then please send it back to me and I will finish it for you, no charge of course.

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Indiansprings

Hi Bill,

I am just wondering when you will have time to get back to and finish this project.

When illness laid you low a year ago you seemed to have it almost done and were starting testing.

I sure hope you are feeling enough better now to complete it.  The Super Pas Three rebuild is still a good seller here and still makes audiophiles on a budget very happy.

If you just can't do it now, then please send it back to me and I will finish it for you, no charge of course.

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Bill has had my PAS-3 since February of last year.  If someone knows how to get a hold of him, please let me know.
« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2012, 01:30 pm by Indiansprings »

Indiansprings

Anyone heard from Bill Thomas at all? :?

Indiansprings

Bump it up.... :cry: