IDA-8 With 4ohm Speakers

kevinahern1

IDA-8 With 4ohm Speakers
« on: 27 Dec 2018, 09:18 pm »
I'm contemplating buying some Tekton Design speakers. Not sure what model yet, but many of them are 4ohm. Does anyone know if the IDA-8 is stable for 40hm speakers?

Evoke

• Industry Participant
    • EVOKE Planar Loudspeakers
Re: IDA-8 With 4ohm Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 27 Dec 2018, 09:29 pm »
The IDA-8 is great sounding product. I've used it as well as the 16. If you are using the 8 with a smaller pair of speakers, say a 2-way bookshelf, it will be fine. Larger 3-way or towers will be very much more demanding. That is where the 16 makes a difference.

That said, I used the IDA-8 with Eddie and Ruby. Ruby was great. Eddie didn't play to its potential. In fact, to be honest - it was not a good match. The 16 with Eddie worked very well.

John Casler

« Reply #2 on: 28 Dec 2018, 07:38 pm »
I'm contemplating buying some Tekton Design speakers. Not sure what model yet, but many of them are 4ohm. Does anyone know if the IDA-8 is stable for 40hm speakers?

Hi Kevin,

To answer your question, yes the IDA-8 is stable at 4 ohms.

The TEKTONS are generally very high efficiency designs (95db) so require rather modest power output.  In fact they can be driven by many low power tube gear satisfactorily.

Now of course if you select a very large FloorStanding Model, and you play at high volumes, it would be wise to follow EVOKES suggestion of an IDA-16, which can drive most any speaker.

kevinahern1

« Reply #3 on: 29 Dec 2018, 07:58 pm »
Thank, folks. Very helpful.