Vista?????????????

PLMONROE

Vista?????????????
« on: 15 Feb 2007, 04:43 am »
Steve, to your knowledge will the Off-Ramps run with Vista as the OS?

warnerwh

Re: Vista?????????????
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2007, 07:43 am »
Hopefully this won't be out of place. Everyone I'm talking to as well as myself is having problems with Vista. I wouldn't upgrade for at least 6 months if I were you. Even my brother, who is a programmer and worked for Microsoft, removed Vista from his main system. If anyone knows how to deal with problems he does.

I have it on my laptop and have found several programs that won't work properly. Even Nero, a very common program, has known issues. In other words they released it too soon. Just my .02 cents worth.

DonnieW

« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2007, 12:07 pm »
MS has publicly acknowledged the problems with Vista, mainly around hardware and software compatibility.  They plan to fix a lot in their first service pack which they are hoping to release towards the end of the year. 

boead

« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2007, 12:59 pm »
I‘ve been using Vista RC1 since November. The Off-Ramp I believe comes up as a USB Audio Device, correct?
It should be no problem. I have a Scott Nixon USB DAC that woks fine. I’m using it with iTunes (even though Apple says it doesn’t work – works fine here! Always has) with a MultiPlugin app that allows Foobar2000 to be used as an iTunes playback engine. Sounds wonderful.

My buddy is using Vista Ultimate without any issues and I have it running at work on a Domain network also without any problems. The comment that everyone is having problems is silly. Thousands upon thousands are buying it and dealing with the lack of drivers from third party vendors – maybe that’s what they mean when they say it’s a problem. I don’t know but I’ve been using an old Release Candidate which is supposedly full of bugs and it works very well. I have been video editing (professional) with Abobe Premier Pro, using other Adobe products, done some web editing with Macromedia and I have a long list of apps installed that all work fine. I VPN into my office and Remote Desktop control a slew of XP machines and Servers remotely.

But, yeah. Unless the Off-Ramp uses a third party driver (like from M-Audio or EMU) that is not yet available for Vista it will work fine. MS included a very long list of product drivers and default drivers but most USB audio devices can work easily as a “Standard USB Audio Device” in Win2000, WindowsXP and WindowsVista.

PLMONROE

« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2007, 02:13 pm »
That may well be. But I have the Ultimate release just on the street and M-Audio still has no drivers for the  USB Transit board that I can find and my Netgear USB wireless adaptor has only a beta driver that Netgear technical services does not support. Not what I would call ready for prime time!  :green:

boead

« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2007, 02:33 pm »
That may well be. But I have the Ultimate release just on the street and M-Audio still has no drivers for the  USB Transit board that I can find and my Netgear USB wireless adaptor has only a beta driver that Netgear technical services does not support. Not what I would call ready for prime time!  :green:

Not ready for prime time? No, not true. Vista IS ready for prime time, M-Audio and Netgear, who had a couple of years to develop drives, aren’t! Place the blame where its deserved.

M-Audio is notorious for NOT releasing drivers. For years their XP drivers were horrible so I’m not surprised they are tardy. Netgear much like HP have no excuse. Logitech, ATI, nVidia and a slew of other manufacturers all have their shite together. It not like Vista just popped up, its been YEARS coming. MS release the development tools nearly two years ago and the final tools last spring.

Anyway. You don’t need the M-Audio Transit driver, the standard “USB Audio Device” will work fine.

audioengr

« Reply #6 on: 15 Feb 2007, 06:27 pm »
Steve, to your knowledge will the Off-Ramps run with Vista as the OS?

Probably, but only using the native driver, not the 3rd party M-Audio driver. No telling what the sound quality wil be like....

I have a new laptop that is Vista capable, but I'm not ready to change it to Vista yet.  The reviewers need it to play my products.

Steve N.