Fuse tweek for Turbo modded DAC1

oris98

Fuse tweek for Turbo modded DAC1
« on: 6 Dec 2006, 11:42 pm »
Hi all,

A friend of mine loan me 2x German made Agentech Silver fuses (very expensive $40 each) for me to try out on my Turbo modded DAC1 with OPA627 upgarded.   As soon as I pop them in and play with my reference tracks,  I noticed the improvement dramatically.  The HF goes much higher extend and LF are much tighter and more aurthority.  Dynamic also increased significantly.  Even the sound level is higher than my normal reference level without touching the volume control of my preamp.  It feels like it gains 25% more of power all of a sudden.   I looked at the ampage of the fuse and it is a 1A 250V fast blow fuses which are different from the stock fuses using .5A 250v slow blow.  I took them out right away.   

Are there any concerns to use bigger size fuses (1A) instead 0.5A?   
How much wattage does the turbo modded DAC1 with upgraded opamp draw ? 

Thanks.

audioengr

Re: Fuse tweek for Turbo modded DAC1
« Reply #1 on: 7 Dec 2006, 12:03 am »
Hi all,

A friend of mine loan me 2x German made Agentech Silver fuses (very expensive $40 each) for me to try out on my Turbo modded DAC1 with OPA627 upgarded.   As soon as I pop them in and play with my reference tracks,  I noticed the improvement dramatically.  The HF goes much higher extend and LF are much tighter and more aurthority.  Dynamic also increased significantly.  Even the sound level is higher than my normal reference level without touching the volume control of my preamp.  It feels like it gains 25% more of power all of a sudden.   I looked at the ampage of the fuse and it is a 1A 250V fast blow fuses which are different from the stock fuses using .5A 250v slow blow.  I took them out right away.   

Are there any concerns to use bigger size fuses (1A) instead 0.5A?   
How much wattage does the turbo modded DAC1 with upgraded opamp draw ? 

Thanks.

These are certainly good fuses.  Lately I have been changing the fuse to a 3.5amp.  It is not that critical.  If a chip dies, it will probably not take out the fuse, so you may get some smoke from the chip, but it will not burn the circuit board.  The main thing you want to protect is the transformer and the circuit board.

Steve N.

oris98

« Reply #2 on: 7 Dec 2006, 03:59 am »
Hi Steve,

I just want to confirm what you said, for a 3.5A fuses on the modded dac1, will it protect the transformer and the circuit board ?  I take the trans and board take higher than 3.5A to burn them if it is the case?  So if I use 1A fuses, it should be safe right ?  Will it sound better if I use 2 x 3.5A fuses on the modded DAC1 instead ?  Would fast blow better than slow blow fuses in 1A or 3.5A cases ?

Many thanks again !

audioengr

« Reply #3 on: 7 Dec 2006, 04:43 am »
Hi Steve,

I just want to confirm what you said, for a 3.5A fuses on the modded dac1, will it protect the transformer and the circuit board ?  I take the trans and board take higher than 3.5A to burn them if it is the case?  So if I use 1A fuses, it should be safe right ?  Will it sound better if I use 2 x 3.5A fuses on the modded DAC1 instead ?  Would fast blow better than slow blow fuses in 1A or 3.5A cases ?

Many thanks again !

Yes, 3.5A fuse for the DAC-1.  Yes, the trans. and board will survive with 3.5A.  1A fuse will be fine.

Only one fuse is used.  The other is a spare.  It sounds better with 3.5A.  I would use fast blo 3.5A.

Steve N.

oris98

« Reply #4 on: 7 Dec 2006, 06:30 am »
Thanks Steve.

There are 2 fuses inside the fuse box in DAC1.  If you look at the back of the unit the fuse box is aligned vertically. Inside, one fuse on top and one fuse at the bottom (grey plastic box where marked with 110v).  Which one is actually in use ? or should I actually be replacing ?   

It is certainly good to know that DAC1 only uses one out of the two fuses inside. That will save me $40.. hehe..

Thanks again..

audioengr

« Reply #5 on: 7 Dec 2006, 07:32 pm »
Thanks Steve.

There are 2 fuses inside the fuse box in DAC1.  If you look at the back of the unit the fuse box is aligned vertically. Inside, one fuse on top and one fuse at the bottom (grey plastic box where marked with 110v).  Which one is actually in use ? or should I actually be replacing ?   

It is certainly good to know that DAC1 only uses one out of the two fuses inside. That will save me $40.. hehe..

Thanks again..

The one in the grey box is the active one.

Steve N.

audioengr

« Reply #6 on: 25 Dec 2006, 02:15 am »
Both fuses seem active because they have contacts on both.  In the past I just changed the marked one and this seemed to make an improvement.

I just tried two 3 amp fuses in a full-monty DAC-1 that I am modding.  Seems better, but too early to judge with break-in and all....

Steve N.