ipod/AKSA 55n+ question

a.gerner

• http://www.antongerner.com.au
ipod/AKSA 55n+ question
« on: 15 Feb 2007, 10:37 am »
Simple question really.
What is the BEST way to connect my ipod directly to my AKSA 55n+?
Cables to the headphone port? Which cable?  or  Dock? Which Dock?
Any thoughts? 
I would like to keep it quite simple without spending a fortune, yet maintain the quality as this will now be my main source to my AKSA.

Thank in advance.

Anton Gerner

PSP

Re: ipod/AKSA 55n+ question
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2007, 02:41 pm »
Hi Anton,
The last time I had my GK-1 on the bench for tweaking, I drove my 100N+ AKSA directly from my 30Gb year-old iPod (I rip with iTunes using AIFF uncompressed).  I just used the headphone output (1/8 inch phono jack) to RCAs using a cheap plastic Radio Shack cable into the AKSA, volume control via the iPod.

I was surprised how good that sounded.  I've read a lot about how bad the output from the iPod headphone jack is supposed to be (and I suppose--when I listen carefully--I will find that it is suboptimal), but I can tell you that I certainly enjoyed the music.  This is so simple and cheap to try, and it may be all you need.  At minimum, you could listen this way for a few weeks or months while you consider more elaborate and expensive options.

I know that you asked for BEST... but IMO, LEAST AND EASIEST was way better than I expected it to be.

I now have a LF55 with about 200 hours of break-in.  So, I will listen to:
iPod-->LF55 (cheap interconnect, but it's short)
vs.
CDP-->GK-1-->LF55 (VenHaus Pulsar interconnects) and get back to you with some listening impressions in the next week or so.

Good luck,
Peter

a.gerner

« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2007, 07:32 pm »
Thanks!
very interested to know the results.

PSP

« Reply #3 on: 17 Mar 2007, 04:03 pm »
Hi Anton,
I sat down a couple of weeks ago to compare
  iPod (headphone output, ripping details described above)--> LF55
  CDP (modded Philips 963SA)--> GK-1 (modded) --> LF55

I should have posted sooner, but I've been extremely busy lately.  My apologies.

Bottom line, if you just listen to the iPod connected directly to your '55, you will greatly enjoy the music, and I could be happy for life.  But if you compare the iPod with a very good source and world-class preamp you will find that the iPod loses clearly audible micro-details and fine instrumental textures. 

If I ever build a system for "the cabin", where space is tight and it doesn't make sense to invest major bucks in something that you will listen to a few weekends a year, I would be very happy to run my iPod straight into an AKSA 55N+ and sit there watching the sunset over the lake while listening to some very nice music.  This approach could also be a good way to get started with reasonable expenditure, then add a better source and preamp when funds allow.

Good luck,
Peter

AKSA

« Reply #4 on: 17 Mar 2007, 11:13 pm »
Thank you Peter,

Nice approach.  Anton, any progress on your Ipod/AKSA combo?

Ciao,

Hugh

DSK

« Reply #5 on: 18 Mar 2007, 07:40 am »
...Bottom line, if you just listen to the iPod connected directly to your '55, you will greatly enjoy the music, and I could be happy for life.  But if you compare the iPod with a very good source and world-class preamp you will find that the iPod loses clearly audible micro-details and fine instrumental textures... 

I had similar results comparing a Bolder modded SqueezeBox & power supply direct to LifeForce 100 vs via GK-1. Music was clearly better with GK-1 in the chain ... more dynamic, quieter, greater inner detail etc. Also more lifelike and emotional.

a.gerner

« Reply #6 on: 19 Mar 2007, 09:33 am »
HUGH,

I bought an Xitel ipod dock and have connected this to my 55N+.
Seems to be going well, infact I'm very happy with the set up.

I'm hoping to get out to your place soon to listen to the Lifeforce, so I'll bring it along to listen to my standard test tracks.

AKSA

« Reply #7 on: 19 Mar 2007, 11:25 am »
Great, Anton,

Do bring your test CD!   :thumb:

Hugh