Spatial M3 Triode Master

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Spatial M3 Triode Master
« Reply #20 on: 23 Apr 2017, 06:16 pm »
They sounded great to me.  $4k.

Wouldn't expect anything else. 

George

debjit.g

« Reply #21 on: 23 Apr 2017, 08:13 pm »
They sounded great to me.  $4k.

Thanks! Could you tell a bit more on the electronics used ?

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #22 on: 23 Apr 2017, 08:24 pm »
Thanks! Could you tell a bit more on the electronics used ?

Below is what was posted before the show.  I don't know if this was actually used.

George

From GOPHER:

With AXPONA coming next month, it's time to start making some noise about our upcoming plans and partnerships.  This year we will be doing things a little differently and pursing a different line up of great gear to present our offerings with some other fantastic brands.

In our own room we'll be debuting our brand new Golden Atlantic DAC and DSD Komputer as the digital front end/preamplifier.   

For speakers we'll be using Clayton Shaw's wonderful and affordable Spatial M3 Turbo S speakers.
For amplification Linear Tube Audio will be supplying us with a pair of their delicious 40wpc OTL amplifiers
For cables, Verastarr will be showing it's new line of hybrid foil cables.

debjit.g

« Reply #23 on: 23 Apr 2017, 08:30 pm »
So the Turbo S was used instead of the Triode Master ?

reillyzing

« Reply #24 on: 23 Apr 2017, 08:39 pm »
That is an expensive amp and DAC for prospective buyers of the Triode Master to audition the speakers with. :o

WC

« Reply #25 on: 23 Apr 2017, 09:01 pm »
Sign in room said it was the Triode Master.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #26 on: 23 Apr 2017, 10:03 pm »
So the Turbo S was used instead of the Triode Master ?

No.  The Triode Master was used.

Sorry for the confusion.

I did a quick copy and paste from my phone.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: 23 Apr 2017, 10:11 pm »
That is an expensive amp and DAC for prospective buyers of the Triode Master to audition the speakers with. :o

These speakers (as well as the M3 Turbo S) can be used with a wide range of gear and sound very good.

The better the gear, the better the sound.

I have used the following gear with the M3 Turbo S:

Vinnie Rossi LIO (AVC and DHT with DAC AND Amp)
Sonore MicroRendu
Atma-Sphere MP-1 preamp
Auralic Vega DAC
Atsah NC1200 mono amps
Ncore 400 mono amps
Triode Wire Labs cables and power cords
Morrow Audio cables, power cords, and ic's

George

TimS

« Reply #28 on: 24 Apr 2017, 12:55 am »
Hi George

Regarding the list below, what, in your opinion, sounded best with the M3's?

These speakers (as well as the M3 Turbo S) can be used with a wide range of gear and sound very good.

The better the gear, the better the sound.

I have used the following gear with the M3 Turbo S:

Vinnie Rossi LIO (AVC and DHT with DAC AND Amp)
Sonore MicroRendu
Atma-Sphere MP-1 preamp
Auralic Vega DAC
Atsah NC1200 mono amps
Ncore 400 mono amps
Triode Wire Labs cables and power cords
Morrow Audio cables, power cords, and ic's

George

mirekti

« Reply #29 on: 24 Apr 2017, 03:43 pm »
I had a chance to listen to M3TM yesterday and must admit this was one of the best sounding small rooms apart from Harbeth's one and those bigger rooms on the 12th floor.
The only "bad" thing was the soundstage collapsed rather soon after I left the sweet spot, however, sweet spot was heaven. :)
One would really need to have these speakers (or any others) in his own room in order to know whether they are a keeper or not. Spatial is offering 60 day trial period. I guess that's the best way to try it out.

roscoeiii

« Reply #30 on: 24 Apr 2017, 03:56 pm »
I have never been much of a dipole guy. But wow were those great sounding. Highlight of the show.

rebbi

« Reply #31 on: 12 May 2017, 03:40 pm »
Thanks George. I have the M3 TurboS and excited to see what the Triode master brings in to an already great sounding speaker. Did Clayton tell when the upgrades are available and how to get it ? I had sent him a mail yesterday but didn't hear back - guess he is busy with the upcoming axpona.

On a separate note, what are folks using to power the M3/M4 currently ? I am using Nords monoblock which is nc500 based and it sounds great. When I upgrade to a Triode Master, I am thinking to getting a tube amp and wondering what to get and how much power is required.

I just upgraded from the M4 to the M3 Turbo S and I'm powering them with an 8 W, 300B based SET amp - the Audio Note Kits "Kit 1."

Wind Chaser

« Reply #32 on: 12 May 2017, 04:53 pm »
I just upgraded from the M4 to the M3 Turbo S and I'm powering them with an 8 W, 300B based SET amp - the Audio Note Kits "Kit 1."

And hows that working for you vs the M4 with the 300b?

Once my health gets back to normal, I do plan to bring my Coincident Dynamo mk ll up to Bill's place to see how well it mates with his M3ts.

rebbi

« Reply #33 on: 22 May 2017, 11:05 pm »
And hows that working for you vs the M4 with the 300b?

Once my health gets back to normal, I do plan to bring my Coincident Dynamo mk ll up to Bill's place to see how well it mates with his M3ts.

Hi, Wind Chaser,
So sorry for the tardy reply to your question!
I am planning a full review of the M3 Turbo S on my blog once I have close to 100 hours on the Spatial's - right now I'm at around 60 hours. But I can say at this point that I've been very pleased so far. Since they're rated a tad more efficient than the M4's, driving them is no problem. But they bring "more" of everything than the "standard" M4's brought to the table: more open, more resolving, more expansive soundstage, etc.
I, too, am very curious about the new Triode Master, especially about the contribution of that dipole compression unit!
Hope your health is better!

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #34 on: 24 May 2017, 11:51 pm »
I just shipped my M3 Turbo S speakers to Clayton for an upgrade to the Triode Master.  I can barely wait.  Has anyone here received an upgraded pair back yet that you could tell us about?

cfisher835

« Reply #35 on: 25 May 2017, 02:10 am »
So how much is the upgrade from M3 to Triode Master?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #36 on: 25 May 2017, 03:25 am »
I just shipped my M3 Turbo S speakers to Clayton for an upgrade to the Triode Master.  I can barely wait.

In what respect are they different from each other?

CSI

« Reply #37 on: 25 May 2017, 03:25 am »
So how much is the upgrade from M3 to Triode Master?

I believe it is $1295/pair. Go to the M3 Triode Master page on the website and you will find the details listed. Clayton tells me there will be a Triode Master upgrade for the M4's soon (great news for me) as soon as they get caught up with the M3 upgrade orders. Hopefully by July.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #38 on: 25 May 2017, 04:08 am »
FYI, it cost $240 for Fedex ground from Shreveport to Utah.  So $1535 total for my upgrade.  I have been using a Speltz autoformer to mate my 16 ohm amp output to the 4 ohm speakers, so the 16 ohm factor was not crucial to me.  But the fact that this makes the speaker a true dipole through all frequencies has me excited and is the reason the upgrade is worth it (hopefully) to me.

SFDude

« Reply #39 on: 25 May 2017, 02:48 pm »
Anticipating your review glynnw when you get it back. I don't know whether the differences make it worth the price of upgrade or not so it's helpful to understand what those comparisons are.

I could go other routes with the ~$1500 in the never-ending upgrade process.  :o