Randy Bessinger's sealed, on-wall HT1's

jsalk

Randy Bessinger's sealed, on-wall HT1's
« on: 15 Jan 2007, 01:56 am »
Randy wanted four HT1's to round out his 7.1 channel home theater system.  But he didn't have room in his layout for standard, stand-mounted HT1's. 

So we talked about mounting them on the wall.  But they had to be mounted higher on the wall so people would not hit their heads on them.  That meant they needed to be oriented with the baffle angled downward toward the listening position.

We measured the angles and settled on 12 degrees.

We had already done a pair of HT3's in leopardwood veneer for Randy.  So we decided to use that.  But we did not have quite enough for four complete wall-mounted HT1's.  So the decision was made to use walnut for the front baffles (which we had used on his original HT3's).

I got some nice walnut at a very good price.  But it was just short of the width we needed.  So I added a stringer of Australian lacewood that would pick up some of the colors in the leopardwood.

Of course, the baffle step compensation would not be correct if we used a standard HT1 crossover (there would be too much compensation and, thus, too much midbass).  So Dennis Murphy provided some crossover modifications to remove some BSC.

Here are some pictures of the results.  First head-on...

And some side shots...

Happy listening Randy!

- Jim

Toka

Re: Randy Bessinger's sealed, on-wall HT1's
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2007, 03:50 pm »
Whoa! VERY nice indeed!  :thumb:

BradJudy

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jan 2007, 04:06 pm »
I love the front-on look - the stringer was the perfect touch. 

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2007, 07:40 am »
Very sharp looking, and an innovative solution to a difficult placement problem.  Man, you really go the extra mile for your customers! :thumb:

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2007, 04:49 pm »
Are these going to become a standard item in your lineup now?  Seems like an excellent solution for the HT enthusiast! 

gthomas

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jan 2007, 09:08 pm »
I really like those speakers.  If i ever move to a different home, I would have Jim make a pair of those for my rears.  I'm sure he could match them to my HT1 surrounds.  I currently just use some in ceiling speakers by Speakercraft as my rears because of the way the room is built. Congrats Randy!!

Gene

jsalk

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jan 2007, 09:30 pm »
Are these going to become a standard item in your lineup now?  Seems like an excellent solution for the HT enthusiast! 

I imagine since the cabinet design is done, we may as well list them as an available model.

- Jim

randybessinger

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jan 2007, 08:04 pm »
I wanted to post and let you know that I am thrilled with my new surrounds.  They have opened up my room considerably compared to the Aerials I was using.  Whether it is because of the angle or the matching drivers, I don't care, I just am happy as a pig in sh*t.  Also, kudos to Jim for making the installation so easy.  Even, I was able to mount them easily. :D

Woodsea

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jan 2007, 09:17 pm »
I am amazed again, very nice!!

jsher

« Reply #9 on: 3 Feb 2007, 07:34 am »
Jim or Randy - What are the dimensions of the cabinets for the surrounds?

jsalk

« Reply #10 on: 3 Feb 2007, 01:52 pm »
jsher -

Jim or Randy - What are the dimensions of the cabinets for the surrounds?

I don't recall the depth at the top and bottom off hand (it you want, I can check my drawings next time I'm in the shop and get back to you), but I do recall that they are 18" wide and 15" tall.

The rear panel of the cabinet is inset 3/4" and we used a French cleat to attach them to the wall so they butt solidly up to the wall.  A French cleat is simply a board that is cut lengthwise at 45 degrees.  One piece is then built into the cabinet back and the other attaches to the wall.  You then simply hang the cabinet on the part that attaches to the wall and the 45 degree cut holds the speaker tightly to the wall.  Simple, but effective.

- Jim