Help me with my XStatic Setup Please

petemoss

Re: Help me with my XStatic Setup Please
« Reply #20 on: 28 Oct 2019, 10:01 pm »
Dont have a pre-amp...I have a DAC that has adjustable gain on its outputs feeding an "Unified" amp that has 2 inputs, an input selector and a volume control.  That is why i was going to put the high pass on the speaker outputs. 

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #21 on: 28 Oct 2019, 10:53 pm »
Dont have a pre-amp...I have a DAC that has adjustable gain on its outputs feeding an "Unified" amp that has 2 inputs, an input selector and a volume control.  That is why i was going to put the high pass on the speaker outputs.

I take it “unified” means the same as “integrated” that is, preamp and power amp combined in one chassis. You can put the filter between the DAC and amp but as you mentioned, the filter won’t work for the other inputs. This type of filter only works before the power amp. Filtering on the speaker side of the power amp is more complicated.

Something I did when I had an integrated amp was add a separate preamp in front of it that had two pairs of preamp outputs. In my case the new preamp was a Jolida 5T. I set the volume on the integrated amp as close to unity gain as I could get (like an HT by-pass input would do) then used the new preamp for switching and volume control of all sources. As an added bonus, the new preamp had remote control.

sunnydaze

« Reply #22 on: 29 Oct 2019, 03:45 am »
Those are actually omni directional speakers. They have to be at least three feet away from any wall (not just the front wall).

I should have been more careful with my wording.   By "tight"  I did not mean right up against the wall.  I just meant that they don't need as much air around them as a typical box speaker.

I don't know this from personal experience, but this is from the Ohm website:

"they can now be used near walls"

https://ohmspeaker.com/about/

Also, I have read (and seen) the same comment in written (and YouTube) reviews of Ohm tower speakers.

:dunno:

sunnydaze

« Reply #23 on: 29 Oct 2019, 03:46 am »
delete dupe

Danny Richie

« Reply #24 on: 29 Oct 2019, 12:55 pm »
I should have been more careful with my wording.   By "tight"  I did not mean right up against the wall.  I just meant that they don't need as much air around them as a typical box speaker.

I don't know this from personal experience, but this is from the Ohm website:

"they can now be used near walls"

https://ohmspeaker.com/about/

Also, I have read (and seen) the same comment in written (and YouTube) reviews of Ohm tower speakers.

:dunno:

I'm not really sure what they are thinking. What we're looking for is at least a 6ms time delay on the reflection from any surface. Any reflection that arrives sooner than that will start to be heard as a time smear of the original signal rather than a late arriving reflection or ambience.

And some measurements like what is found in this post will show what happens to the on axis response and the cancellation that can take place from the reflection. https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=158591.msg1694273#msg1694273

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #25 on: 29 Oct 2019, 03:50 pm »
I'm not really sure what they are thinking. What we're looking for is at least a 6ms time delay on the reflection from any surface. Any reflection that arrives sooner than that will start to be heard as a time smear of the original signal rather than a late arriving reflection or ambience.
I suspect they are thinking they want to sell speakers whether they are optimized or not. 
« Last Edit: 29 Oct 2019, 05:52 pm by S Clark »