• Industry Participant
Re: Exotica 3's
« Reply #60 on: 1 May 2014, 12:06 am »

Check out the NBS Preamp by Nos Valves its top notch

That's what I am using. And LOVING

PSB Guy

« Reply #61 on: 1 May 2014, 12:52 am »
Your Fetvalves are not cheap, they just look cheap. Hence, no fanfare.
I couldn't disagree more. I'm also loving the looks of the Exotica 3, it's on my bucket list.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #62 on: 1 May 2014, 01:00 am »
Jesus Frank, that was blown out of proportion wasn't it? Just make some nice faceplates, everyone wants them. What is so hard about that? We all want nice looking stuff. Your Fetvalves are not cheap, they just look cheap. Hence, no fanfare.
Woudl YOU pay an extra $500 for that?

Magnatest

« Reply #63 on: 1 May 2014, 01:09 am »
With respect to the AVA gear, I could never get past a red rocker switch. Frank's gear looked and sounded great at Axpona. Great job!

Austin08

« Reply #64 on: 1 May 2014, 01:24 am »

I don't know about you or anybody else but if things look caught my eyes and also sound great then a bit extra of money are well worth it.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #65 on: 1 May 2014, 03:05 am »
With respect to the AVA gear, I could never get past a red rocker switch. Frank's gear looked and sounded great at Axpona. Great job!

I believe the new 'dressed up' gear, the ones with the silver faceplates have cool blue lights now. If the stock doesn't you could probably get them rather than the red. So that shouldn't hold you back any more.  :thumb:

ricardojoa

« Reply #66 on: 1 May 2014, 03:26 am »
I think the fet amps looks decent. The synergy line looks a bit too old fashion and thr red switch really needs a make over. They do however represent a great value.

PMAT

« Reply #67 on: 1 May 2014, 04:51 am »
Yes I would. On the flip side is this question. Would I spend $4500 on a FetValve without a good looking case? The answer is no.  Many people would pony up for nicer casing. They do it all the time! Just look at the Salks in the same room. Salk wouldn't have made it a year with vinyl cabinets. Most of the posts  in this circle show the veneers that people pick out. It's on equal footing with the sound. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

Austin08

« Reply #68 on: 1 May 2014, 05:31 am »
I think the fet amps looks decent. The synergy line looks a bit too old fashion and thr red switch really needs a make over. They do however represent a great value.

I agree.

martyo

« Reply #69 on: 1 May 2014, 08:51 am »
Yes I would. On the flip side is this question. Would I spend $4500 on a FetValve without a good looking case? The answer is no.  Many people would pony up for nicer casing. They do it all the time! Just look at the Salks in the same room. Salk wouldn't have made it a year with vinyl cabinets. Most of the posts  in this circle show the veneers that people pick out. It's on equal footing with the sound. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

Sometimes when we're trying to make a point we can get a little exaggerated, the FetValve 600R is $3500.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #70 on: 1 May 2014, 11:19 am »
OK.  I wouldn't spend any amount of money on something that I can't see published measurements though.  However, Frank has really made it thus far by keeping the estetics to a minimum while providing a higher quality piece without breaking the bank for most.  This is fairly rare in a time where high dollar audio equipement is almost the norm.  Regardless of whether they're good or not, he has a niche with a very loyal fan base.  Not a bad business model.  Should he in my opinion expand the line to a fully balanced super amp?  Yes, but he doesn't seem like he even wants to go up that tree or down the slippery slope.  It's a massive investment and what he has works. 

jackman

« Reply #71 on: 1 May 2014, 12:07 pm »
OK. I wouldn't spend any amount of money on something that I can't see published measurements though.  However, Frank has really made it thus far by keeping the estetics to a minimum while providing a higher quality piece without breaking the bank for most.  This is fairly rare in a time where high dollar audio equipement is almost the norm.  Regardless of whether they're good or not, he has a niche with a very loyal fan base.  Not a bad business model.  Should he in my opinion expand the line to a fully balanced super amp?  Yes, but he doesn't seem like he even wants to go up that tree or down the slippery slope.  It's a massive investment and what he has works.

Weren't you the same guy pumping that ($6,000!) TRL Dude preamp in several threads for a long time?  The last time I checked, here is what they had to say about measurements :  Tube Research Labs typically does not publish traditional measurements on its equipment's performance. These measurements illustrate how machines hear, not how humans hear. We probably are years away from having measurements which we can really associate to or correlate with the listenability of a device.

Do you have different sets of rules for different companies or components or can we assume you didn't actually pay any money for the preamp with no measurements?   :scratch:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #72 on: 1 May 2014, 12:15 pm »
Weren't you the same guy pumping that ($6,000!) TRL Dude preamp in several threads for a long time?  The last time I checked, here is what they had to say about measurements :  Tube Research Labs typically does not publish traditional measurements on its equipment's performance. These measurements illustrate how machines hear, not how humans hear. We probably are years away from having measurements which we can really associate to or correlate with the listenability of a device.

Do you have different sets of rules for different companies or components or can we assume you didn't actually pay any money for the preamp with no measurements?   :scratch:
Maybe the fact that I don't own it anymore should tell you something.   :oops:

mal

« Reply #73 on: 1 May 2014, 12:22 pm »
If the east winds ever blow you over to Lincoln City, perhaps you can audition some speakers, especially Philharmonic Audio Phil 2's....see how you like the RAALs.   :thumb:

Another Lincoln City audiophile? This town clearly has no standards.

jackman

« Reply #74 on: 1 May 2014, 12:26 pm »
Maybe the fact that I don't own it anymore should tell you something.   :oops:

So you loved it and posted hundreds of gushing comments about how it's the best preamp ever...but you had to sell it because they didn't post measurements?  thanks for clearing that up for me.   :thumb:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #75 on: 1 May 2014, 12:33 pm »
So you loved it and posted hundreds of gushing comments about how it's the best preamp ever...but you had to sell it because they didn't post measurements?  thanks for clearing that up for me.   :thumb:
If that's what you want to think, sure.  Anything for you though.   :thumb:

Marbles

« Reply #76 on: 1 May 2014, 12:48 pm »
If anyone wants to upgrade the looks of Franks gear, I'd bet Jim Salk would be happy to dress it up.

chargedmr2

« Reply #77 on: 1 May 2014, 12:54 pm »
This thread was more interesting when the discussion was focused on the Exotica 3's :thumb:

JonnyFive

« Reply #78 on: 1 May 2014, 12:55 pm »
This thread was more interesting when the discussion was focused on the Exotica 3's :thumb:

Agreed.  I think the discussion of the aesthetics of the AVA gear should be moved to its own thread in their forum.

Mudslide

« Reply #79 on: 1 May 2014, 01:04 pm »
Another Lincoln City audiophile? This town clearly has no standards.

Nope.  None.  In fact there are at least THREE of us knuckleheads here.  Doesn't that violate some statistical norm or somethin'?

Where were you during our big GTG's?  We needed another strong back to help push Jim Salk's trailer up the hill and pull his amps out of the gravel.   :lol:

Hey, what does a mal wear?  Malware of course.