What amp for your Salk Speakers?

Saturn94

Re: What amp for your Salk Speakers?
« Reply #60 on: 21 Apr 2012, 06:48 pm »
I would love to have it all but even passions have financial limits.  Would need to sell existing amp & pre-processor to help offest some of the cost of the new FET Valve preamp and amp.  Limits and constraints have to be managed reality is a stuborn thing sometimes.

kyle

Are you not satisfied with the Anthem's 2 channel performance?  Just wondering.....I'm very happy with my AVM20 for both multichannel and 2 channel. :)

Saturn94

« Reply #61 on: 21 Apr 2012, 06:54 pm »
.... My goal was to have a home theater that also had great 2 channel performance. No way was I going to embark on two separate systems! ......

Same here.  Lack of funds and space just won't allow separate systems.  My system has been a work in progress for many years.

Kwebb

« Reply #62 on: 21 Apr 2012, 07:29 pm »
Saturn94,

The Anthem Statement P5 and Pre-Processor D2 are wonderful.  I previously had five (yes 5) of the Anthem A2 amps and then sold them and got the P5.  The P5 is very good and so is the D2 pre-processor.  I just know that the new FET valve components from AVA will be better sounding and better at extracting sound from sources and I am ready to make that move.   The P5 amp is a stump pulling monster with clean flawless sound.  The D2 is awesome as well but will enjoy the simplicity of a 2 channel system.

Kyle

Warpdrv

• There's NO ESCAPING the SoundScape !!
« Reply #63 on: 21 Apr 2012, 07:57 pm »
Saturn94,

The Anthem Statement P5 and Pre-Processor D2 are wonderful.  I previously had five (yes 5) of the Anthem A2 amps and then sold them and got the P5.  The P5 is very good and so is the D2 pre-processor.  I just know that the new FET valve components from AVA will be better sounding and better at extracting sound from sources and I am ready to make that move.   The P5 amp is a stump pulling monster with clean flawless sound.  The D2 is awesome as well but will enjoy the simplicity of a 2 channel system.

Kyle

I had the Anthem D2v in my Big Rig system with Wyred4sound amp, and although the D2v was a good sounding unit, after owning it for 2 years I wanted to upgrade and still get my money out of the D2v,  I moved from it to the Integra 80.3 and the Integra is easily as good if not better for 2 channel. XT32 was a large improvement over Anthems ARC. Plus it is far less glitchy....  Anthem was a front runner with HDMI a couple years back, which is why I bought the unit, but Integra has far surpassed Anthems glitchyness and ability to get products to market. The DACS in the Integra are fantastic for a all in 1 pre-pro...   

So much that I just picked up a second 80.3 unit for my small rig with My Salk SS M7's. Again a huge improvement over what I had, to the point that I pulled out my Minimax Dac Plus - and have no regrets with SQ or Sound Stage....   Simple, reliable and fantastic. And I now have a dead silent noise floor, which was driving me nuts... 

Neither of my rigs is setup as 2 channel only - FWIW...   

Austin08

« Reply #64 on: 22 Apr 2012, 03:28 am »
IMO, processors are good for home theater stuffs but that is it. Although, regardless of price, only a few can do a really good job on 2 channel stereo. I owned quite a few super high end prepro from Proceed, Krell, Intergra Research, Cary, Anthem, Classe...they were fine on 2 channel but I thought, they were still not delivered the margical sonic bliss that I got from my CJ or BAT 2 channel tube preamp.

Warpdrv

« Reply #65 on: 22 Apr 2012, 03:42 pm »
Totally not going to argue with you on that Austin.... 

Everybody's setup is different, and I DO NOT have the place or need for a dedicated 2 channel setup. I have heard far better presentation - full holographic and 3Dish spacial cues. My systems sound fantastic for what I use them for - but integrating that into my setups just makes things way to complicated to try to achieve.... 

Everyones needs are different and I have way to many hobbies, projects and friends that eat up my time to concern myself with those requirements...      For now, I'm more then happy with my setups...   When I become physically incapacitated and have nothing else to do in life then listen to music - then I will likely have a different plan of attack....  :green:

Austin08

« Reply #66 on: 22 Apr 2012, 09:56 pm »
Totally not going to argue with you on that Austin.... 

Everybody's setup is different, and I DO NOT have the place or need for a dedicated 2 channel setup. I have heard far better presentation - full holographic and 3Dish spacial cues. My systems sound fantastic for what I use them for - but integrating that into my setups just makes things way to complicated to try to achieve.... 

Everyones needs are different and I have way to many hobbies, projects and friends that eat up my time to concern myself with those requirements...      For now, I'm more then happy with my setups...   When I become physically incapacitated and have nothing else to do in life then listen to music - then I will likely have a different plan of attack....  :green:

Warpdrv,

It is just my though. No offense there. Agree, nobody's taste and no system's set up is exactly alike. That is the beauty of this hobby.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #67 on: 22 Apr 2012, 10:18 pm »
I guess I can answer the actual question.  Exclusively with Salk speakers in the 2 channel room and a diversion to Aerials one year.

Since 2006 I have owned, in no particular order:

Monarchy SM70 monos
PS Audio GCC500 modified by Underwood
Moscode 401HR
Wyred SX1000 monos
Wyred SX500 monos
Wyred ST250
Dodd 120 monos
BAT VK500
Pass Labs X350.5
Sunfire 600
Rowland 201 monos
Belles 150A Refs as monos
TAD Hibachi monos
Dared VP-20 monos
Cherry 4800A
Cherry Plus
ATI 602
PS Audio Delta 250 monos
Hafler 9130
Hafler SE240
Hafler XL280
Electrocompaniet AW220
Jolida JD202A
AVA something?
Xindak ? 200 wpc
Tube Research Labs Samson monos

In the HT I have not kept as close track and can recall:

Emotiva MPS
Emotiva XPA something
Parasound HCA1206
Wyred SX1000's, 500's, ST250
ATI 1506
ATI1505

Of course I love my Samsons.  I would not hesitate to use BAT and Wyred again from my list.  Have never tried McCormack but trust others who have.  Looking forward to someday building some NCores.

Don_S

« Reply #68 on: 22 Apr 2012, 10:27 pm »
Big Red, Speed date much?   :lol:

I guess I can answer the actual question.  Exclusively with Salk speakers in the 2 channel room and a diversion to Aerials one year.

Since 2006 I have owned, in no particular order:

Monarchy SM70 monos
PS Audio GCC500 modified by Underwood
Moscode 401HR
Wyred SX1000 monos
Wyred SX500 monos
Wyred ST250
Dodd 120 monos
BAT VK500
Pass Labs X350.5
Sunfire 600
Rowland 201 monos
Belles 150A Refs as monos
TAD Hibachi monos
Dared VP-20 monos
Cherry 4800A
Cherry Plus
ATI 602
PS Audio Delta 250 monos
Hafler 9130
Hafler SE240
Hafler XL280
Electrocompaniet AW220
Jolida JD202A
AVA something?
Xindak ? 200 wpc
Tube Research Labs Samson monos

In the HT I have not kept as close track and can recall:

Emotiva MPS
Emotiva XPA something
Parasound HCA1206
Wyred SX1000's, 500's, ST250
ATI 1506
ATI1505

Of course I love my Samsons.  I would not hesitate to use BAT and Wyred again from my list.  Have never tried McCormack but trust others who have.  Looking forward to someday building some NCores.

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #69 on: 22 Apr 2012, 10:30 pm »
Sanders Magtech with SoundScape 10s.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #70 on: 22 Apr 2012, 10:44 pm »
Big Red, Speed date much?   :lol:

Well at my age and after 27 years of blissful marriage - this is my equivalent Don!!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #71 on: 22 Apr 2012, 10:46 pm »
Sanders Magtech with SoundScape 10s.

That's a good one.  I looked heavily at them and the McCormack 750's.  You all know I am a big horsepower person and having reserves on tap make all the difference to me.  Still want to try some Krells someday.

yetis

« Reply #72 on: 22 Apr 2012, 11:15 pm »
That's a good one.  I looked heavily at them and the McCormack 750's.  You all know I am a big horsepower person and having reserves on tap make all the difference to me.  Still want to try some Krells someday.

That's quite a list! I loved my Pass amp.. Pity its so hot and takes so long to warm up. I had a Modwright 100se that was great, but felt I needed a little more juice.. I have heard great things about asthetix atlas amp. If I ever move out of the city, it's that or a pass 30x. In the meantime, finally have all the parts for my Ncore mono blocks building. Need them done and tested on the old speakers, before the Ss8's arrive!

Warpdrv

« Reply #73 on: 23 Apr 2012, 11:36 pm »
Austin08

Warpdrv,

It is just my though. No offense there. Agree, nobody's taste and no system's set up is exactly alike. That is the beauty of this hobby.

No offense taken my friend....   We all have our different needs and wants - and it works for me... 

Well at my age and after 27 years of blissful marriage - this is my equivalent Don!!

I'm always thankful of great guys like you Big Red...   

I would love to roll amps like you to try out different stuff.... in my first system, I started with Rotel 1095 and when I added rear surrounds I needed another 2 channels...  I remember reading that you liked your Wyred amp and your thoughts on that amp which led me to snapping up a great deal on a used one...   I'm thrilled with its SQ and performance. I won't be changing that unit out any time soon...   Love its cool running in my Console.

nemir

« Reply #74 on: 26 Apr 2012, 05:35 am »
Primarily stereo?  Combo with HT?

What is your budget?

Hi BRM,

I was thinking something like $8k - $10k maybe....That seems reasonable after spending ~ $20k - $25k on 5.2 speakers.    I need amp, HT preamp and maybe stereo preamp.   I want to run stereo subs.  (Probably Salk Rythmiks).  It seems many of the pre-pro units don't do that.
I plan to set up a 5.2 surround room, and was thinking the music config would be 2.2.

I want to put music first,  but the others in the house will mostly care about movies.

I am finding it hard to figure out what to drive them with. I live in Australia, and am possibly moving to HK. Both places have 230v power, so many of the many frequently recommended units aren't suitable.

I was looking at the wyred4sound 5 x 250w amp, but wonder is that enough?   But...   They idle at 100+w,  so they chew electrickery and probably double as heaters which would be really bad in a hot climate.  Apart from that,  I'd have put them at the top of my amp want list

What are the competitors for the wyred4sound amps?

What is your recommendation for a processor? All the name brand processors (like cary, arcam, monitor, etc) seem to only do mono subs, which I don't want. I can't really afford to jump up to the classe, which leaves me really wondering.

Is it possible,  or advisable to run a dedicated 2-channel pre-amp inline with the HT pre-amp?   If so,  which goes first?

My idea is to get the HT pre-pro sorted and then look around for the two channel solution later, but even with the HT pre-pro I am wanting music to be a significant consideration.

Thanks!

Warpdrv

« Reply #75 on: 26 Apr 2012, 02:52 pm »
Hi BRM,

I was thinking something like $8k - $10k maybe....That seems reasonable after spending ~ $20k - $25k on 5.2 speakers.    I need amp, HT preamp and maybe stereo preamp.   I want to run stereo subs.  (Probably Salk Rythmiks).  It seems many of the pre-pro units don't do that.
I plan to set up a 5.2 surround room, and was thinking the music config would be 2.2.

I want to put music first,  but the others in the house will mostly care about movies.

I am finding it hard to figure out what to drive them with. I live in Australia, and am possibly moving to HK. Both places have 230v power, so many of the many frequently recommended units aren't suitable.

I was looking at the wyred4sound 5 x 250w amp, but wonder is that enough?   But...   They idle at 100+w,  so they chew electrickery and probably double as heaters which would be really bad in a hot climate.  Apart from that,  I'd have put them at the top of my amp want list

What are the competitors for the wyred4sound amps?

What is your recommendation for a processor? All the name brand processors (like cary, arcam, monitor, etc) seem to only do mono subs, which I don't want. I can't really afford to jump up to the classe, which leaves me really wondering.

Is it possible,  or advisable to run a dedicated 2-channel pre-amp inline with the HT pre-amp?   If so,  which goes first?

My idea is to get the HT pre-pro sorted and then look around for the two channel solution later, but even with the HT pre-pro I am wanting music to be a significant consideration.

Thanks!

WYRED amps are Class D, they do not chew a ton of elec while idle, and you can always have them on a 12v trigger - and being Class D, they are very very cool running. I have mine tucked into an open back console, I went from a Rotel Class A/B which needed fans for the extreme heat I was getting off that unit, to the Wyred and I removed the fans, no more heat issues.

I would suggest nothing shy of the full 500w ASP modules for the front 3 for SQ on the Wyred, if your going that direction. 250 for the rears is more then enough....   Salk speakers are well known for not being the utmost in efficiency.

Also, Dennis @ D-Sonic http://www.d-sonic.net/ sells these same type of amps at a lower price, with the "EXACT" B&O Ice modules. Wyred seems to go the extra mile with the switches and connectors, and adds an input buffer in case you have a receiver that doesn't output enough power from the RCA's. (not necessary if your running XLR's) For what those differences are in price is up to the user to say whether they are worth the extra $$$ 

I own both, and my Salks are on the D-Sonic amp, no issues here with XLR's out of my Integra 80.3 - which BTW does not have "STEREO" subwoofer outs, only dual mono outs, which are measured independently via Audyssey XT32. Only the Denon AVP offers such capabilities. Albeit, remember that bass is non directional, so YMMV as to whether stero sub outs on a processor is REALLY important.  BTW I highly recommend the Integra 80.3, replaced my Anthem D2v, and I'm not looking back. They are a much better and more refined product in every sense of the word. So much so, I bought a second one...

Hope that helps, good luck with your hunt sir...

Frans

• Has anyone seen my last marble?
« Reply #76 on: 26 Apr 2012, 04:39 pm »
WYRED amps are Class D, they do not chew a ton of elec while idle, and you can always have them on a 12v trigger - and being Class D, they are very very cool running. I have mine tucked into an open back console, I went from a Rotel Class A/B which needed fans for the extreme heat I was getting off that unit, to the Wyred and I removed the fans, no more heat issues.

Seconded! I am extremely pleased with my W4S amp. It draws something like 35w when idle and is always cool or lukewarm to the touch.

I would suggest nothing shy of the full 500w ASP modules for the front 3 for SQ on the Wyred, if your going that direction. 250 for the rears is more then enough....   Salk speakers are well known for not being the utmost in efficiency.

3x500 / 2x250 is what I chose as well  :icon_arrow: knowing there is an upgrade option to go 7x500 if I ever need it. That's some great peace of mind!

I believe I posted more details further up this thread, but it bears repeating given how much time I spent researching getting the best surround bang for the buck. Hope this helps!

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #77 on: 26 Apr 2012, 05:32 pm »
Seconded! I am extremely pleased with my W4S amp. It draws something like 35w when idle and is always cool or lukewarm to the touch.

3x500 / 2x250 is what I chose as well  :icon_arrow: knowing there is an upgrade option to go 7x500 if I ever need it. That's some great peace of mind!

I believe I posted more details further up this thread, but it bears repeating given how much time I spent researching getting the best surround bang for the buck. Hope this helps!

Have you ever had a tube amp or hybrid to contrast with the sound characteristics of the class D?

........Peter

Frans

• Has anyone seen my last marble?
« Reply #78 on: 26 Apr 2012, 05:50 pm »
Have you ever had a tube amp or hybrid to contrast with the sound characteristics of the class D?

........Peter

No, not outside of listening to some McIntosh tube amps. My goal was home theater, and I didn't come across tube amps to drive a 5.1 or 7.1 system without needing multiple stereo/mono amps and a pile of dollars, plus I am not a fan of the heat and energy consumption, so it was a no-go on multiple levels. I might recant at some point in the future, but it had better be a heck of a lot better and that's a pretty tall order.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #79 on: 26 Apr 2012, 05:59 pm »
Did someone mention Wyreds?