Nother nube here..

Bullitt5094

Re: Nother nube here..
« Reply #40 on: 22 Mar 2021, 11:54 pm »
Sorbathane was the only product that passed my litmus test of putting a pair of bookshelf speakers and a turntable on a single shelf and have the TT work properly. Not sure how they can "suck the life out of the music" as posted earlier. But if you want them to isolate the speakers from the furniture (what at least I buy them to do) they are the best I've found.

Camtjfreak

« Reply #41 on: 24 Mar 2021, 03:15 pm »

First option.. painted out the the edges of the front baffle.. second option is to go over the round over and maybe an inch or two back... what say u? 

Thanks for the reply Bullitt.. I’ll check them out for sure

Bullitt5094

« Reply #42 on: 25 Mar 2021, 01:07 am »
They look great like they are as far as I'm concerned. A lot of people don't like the exposed plywood but I do. But I ALWAYS let the wife decide the aesthetics. First, because she is much better at it and secondly, that gets her involved in the project.

Build looks great!

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #43 on: 25 Mar 2021, 02:26 pm »
I might be inclined to paint the back same as front and then clear the whole shebang. If you have spray capability, you could tint the clear for a tone coat. The color will die back into the black, but remain prominent on the lighter parts.

Camtjfreak

« Reply #44 on: 25 Mar 2021, 06:08 pm »
I really do like the plys showing as well so I was thinking of rolling over the front edges with the paint (panzer grey).  Just so the front looks “finished” as u sit in front of them and the rest of the cabinet can be a clear coated raw look... I could paint the back too, hadn’t really thought about that but I like the idea.  This paint color I really like, it’s really a dark blue grey, I love it!  How would I tint the sides Peter? I appreciate your ideas!

Camtjfreak

« Reply #45 on: 25 Mar 2021, 06:40 pm »

Just showed up at my door..  :D. I know it’s not the best out there but it did get a lot of good reviews.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #46 on: 25 Mar 2021, 08:48 pm »
I really do like the plys showing as well so I was thinking of rolling over the front edges with the paint (panzer grey).  Just so the front looks “finished” as u sit in front of them and the rest of the cabinet can be a clear coated raw look... I could paint the back too, hadn’t really thought about that but I like the idea.  This paint color I really like, it’s really a dark blue grey, I love it!  How would I tint the sides Peter? I appreciate your ideas!

Tone coats are essentially lightly tinted clear finish, usually thinned down a quite a bit. Depending on chosen clear, tint can be dye or pigment. Dye is essentially see-thru, pigment will be more opaque. The effect is that of looking through a colored lens.

Here's one I've been messing around with. Done with pigment to kinda homogenize the exposed plys. That's a piece of raw veneer in front for comparison. In time I'll complete a video showing the how to, but I bit off a big chunk video-wise and have some life events taking precedence at this point.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #47 on: 25 Mar 2021, 08:59 pm »
I used tone coats on my NX Studio, tho the veneer was dyed as well, so the tone coats add depth to the colors I used.

Here's some sample strips i made while trying to figure out the color i wanted to use.

Before:

After:

This was done with the dye added to lacquer and brushed onto fhe veneer directly.

Camtjfreak

« Reply #48 on: 25 Mar 2021, 10:06 pm »
Those look awesome guys! I’m kinda liking the whiter/ lighter side of the wood color, also the paint color brings out this grey (ish) in the grains. Hard to see in the picks but in person to me kinda gives it this modern clean look. That’s why I’m trying not to bring out those reddish hues in it.. when I go to clear coat/ semi gloss it I know it’ll do that tho.. not sure how to proceed but I’m figuring it out with all your help and research. Thanks for you input fellas! Peter I hear ya sir! Take care of yourself and your family for sure!!

Camtjfreak

« Reply #49 on: 1 Apr 2021, 08:32 pm »

Decided to go over the edges.. I like the look!

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #50 on: 1 Apr 2021, 08:35 pm »
Thats a pretty cool look! Very nice!

Camtjfreak

« Reply #51 on: 2 Apr 2021, 02:40 am »
Thanks! I was thinking of painting all the other edges but the plys exposed and the grey finish contrast is a cool look to me.

Camtjfreak

« Reply #52 on: 4 Apr 2021, 02:56 am »

Put this one together tonight.. hoping it’s right.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #53 on: 4 Apr 2021, 03:29 am »
Looking at my schematic for the XLS, it looks correct to me!  :thumb:

Camtjfreak

« Reply #54 on: 4 Apr 2021, 03:49 am »
Yeah my concern was the large sonicap and the blackcap being switched that I had on the woofer circuit..

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #55 on: 4 Apr 2021, 04:16 am »
Sonicaps are always on the tweeter circuits, but looks like you nailed it!  :thumb:

Camtjfreak

« Reply #56 on: 4 Apr 2021, 05:11 am »
Thank u for confirming!

hawkeyejw

« Reply #57 on: 4 Apr 2021, 03:06 pm »
Cam that is a really cool and unique look, I like it! Nice job getting a good sharp cut line in the paint.

Camtjfreak

« Reply #58 on: 4 Apr 2021, 05:21 pm »
I purchased some of that gorilla tape and it leaves a nice line for sure!. Now it’s semi gloss lacquer time.

Camtjfreak

« Reply #59 on: 5 Apr 2021, 05:34 am »
Curious as to why I didn’t get a Sonicap for the woofer leg? Must not of been available when I
ordered..