Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
« on: 13 Jun 2023, 02:36 pm »
In his latest adventure, coming to theaters this month, Dr. Henry Walton Jr., a.k.a. Indiana Jones will yet again race against time to save the world from Nazis who want to use Antikythera to change history.

In reality, the Antikythera mechanism is more impressive than the movie plot, being the first known analog computer. It was built by using a complex gear system which came as a surprise - it was widely believed that gears were not known in ancient times.

While still a mystery, Antikythera is yet another proof of an immense body of knowledge that existed before the “Dark Ages”. Unfortunately, much of that knowledge was lost with the burning of the Library of Alexandria.

https://youtu.be/qqlJ50zDgeA

ACHiPo

Re: Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jun 2023, 08:26 pm »
You might want to check out this guy, who is recreating the antikythera mechanism.  If nothing else, his craftsmanship is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML4tw_UzqZE

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun 2023, 01:46 pm »
Wow! This guy has some serious metalworking skills! Lots of knowledge about various metals too. It gets more and more interesting as I go through his Antikythera-making videos. I really enjoyed the one where he makes a precision drill bit, starting by carbonizing a regular soft steel rod.

Thanks for sharing!

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jun 2023, 06:08 pm »
Not excited for this movie. Harrison Ford might be one of my favorite actors but at some points it's like please be retired... These feel like money grabs. Can't make a good movie anymore? Just remake formulas that made money.... or maybe take a shit load of steroids like Sly?

richidoo

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jun 2023, 07:22 pm »
Can't make a good movie anymore? Just remake formulas that made money....

This is common throughout modern culture now, in all art forms and genres.
They're not trying to make money anymore, and it's hard to write a good story or song that is void of moral theme.
Not much longer...  :dance:

wushuliu

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jun 2023, 11:08 pm »
Gonna disagree about this being a money grab.

Harrison Ford doesn't need the money.
Lucas doesn't need the money.
Spielberg/Kennedy/Marshall don't need the money.

The director is James Mangold, not Spielberg, and Mangold is hands down one of the best 'journeyman' directors around. He hasn't made a single film that isn't solid. Phoebe Waller-Bridge is involved and Ford openly said she's the key to it being so good. Waller-Bridge is an acclaimed screenwriter herself, so that adds to the pedigree.

They're making it because they want to.

So despite the terrible title I'm pretty damn excited about the film.

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
« Reply #6 on: 16 Jun 2023, 01:46 pm »
I guess we’ll know if it’s any good when we see the movie. But it is true that many A-listers made crap movies in their late years. Perhaps it’s not running for more money, but an attempt to prove that they are still relevant. Most of them ruined their high quality score with those flops.

It is sad to see heroes from my youth make fools of themselves. I hope Indy gives us 2 hours of good time.

VinceT

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jun 2023, 02:11 pm »
Han Solo's character had closure and now its' time for Indiana Jones's final chapter. I'm all for it and sounds like they have a good director and a cool storyline.

I must admit, I am much more snobby with musical tastes versus movies...lol
« Last Edit: 16 Jun 2023, 04:49 pm by VinceT »

wushuliu

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jun 2023, 02:22 pm »
I guess we’ll know if it’s any good when we see the movie. But it is true that many A-listers made crap movies in their late years. Perhaps it’s not running for more money, but an attempt to prove that they are still relevant. Most of them ruined their high quality score with those flops.

It is sad to see heroes from my youth make fools of themselves. I hope Indy gives us 2 hours of good time.

I'd suggest catching up on Harrison Ford interviews in recent - or even not so recent - years. He couldn't care less about being relevant. He's been happy tending to his Wyoming ranch. He's a legendary curmudgeon.

Of course A-listers make crap late in their years. A-listers make crap in their younger years too.

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
« Reply #9 on: 16 Jun 2023, 02:51 pm »
I'd suggest catching up on Harrison Ford interviews in recent - or even not so recent - years. He couldn't care less about being relevant. He's been happy tending to his Wyoming ranch. He's a legendary curmudgeon.

Of course A-listers make crap late in their years. A-listers make crap in their younger years too.

Of course he (and others) would say that he does not care. I would not expect that they publicly say how coping with old age really affects them. Making a crap movie as a youngster who does not get to choose and as a proven money-making star is not nearly the same.

I will watch the movie no matter what reviews say but I wish that is better than the last Indy's adventure.

wushuliu

« Reply #10 on: 16 Jun 2023, 02:59 pm »
Of course he (and others) would say that he does not care. I would not expect that they publicly say how coping with old age really affects them. Making a crap movie as a youngster who does not get to choose and as a proven money-making star is not nearly the same.

I will watch the movie no matter what reviews say but I wish that is better than the last Indy's adventure.

I dunno, sounds like maybe you should sit this one out!

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
« Reply #11 on: 17 Jun 2023, 08:48 am »
I dunno, sounds like maybe you should sit this one out!

:lol:

Nah, this geek needs to see yet another Antikythera interpretation  :D

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #12 on: 17 Jun 2023, 10:34 am »
His 1923 performance is pretty damn good, no idea if this movie will be any good, but I'm not anxiously awaiting it's arrival.  Usually the farewell movie to a popular series is crap, with a few exceptions, one being his Star Wars exit which was pretty good.  And all these pretty boy actors just play themselves, Ford, Cosner, Cruz et al are the same guy in every movie, just different sets.  Gary Oldman, Daniel Day Lewis, and others are real actors who take on a character and become them.  This is one I may wait for streaming to see.

ajzepp

« Reply #13 on: 21 Jun 2023, 02:01 pm »
Not excited for this movie. Harrison Ford might be one of my favorite actors but at some points it's like please be retired... These feel like money grabs. Can't make a good movie anymore? Just remake formulas that made money.... or maybe take a shit load of steroids like Sly?

Seeing as how Disney is the parent company, and given their recent track record, it feels like a money grab to me, as well. They appear to enjoy buying established, beloved franchises/characters and just churn out stuff that pales in comparison to previous offerings. I'm sure it's also that Im on the wrong side of 50 now and I'm in "get off my lawn" mode, but other than Andor - which I loved, save for the final episode of s1 - everything else they've done with Star Wars has been unimpressive, unsatisfying, or cringeworthy. They seem to have disdain for established, popular characters and enjoy nerfing them down into the ground. Disappointing.

I was initially excited when George sold the rights, and I liked Force Awakens, but to then find out about the complete lack of a cohesive trilogy arc and all the nonsense that went on behind the scenes, I lost hope. Not even Obi-Wan himself could restore it, even though that series definitely had its moments.

In the end, I had the tremendous honor of growing up with these franchises, and nothing can ever take those memories away. George Lucas raped my childhood, but in all the best ways.