Red Wine Audio modified Squeezebox 2

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Red Wine Audio modified Squeezebox 2
« on: 11 Sep 2005, 02:58 am »
Ok, now that I have 200+ cd’s ripped and a few weeks of listening under my belt, I think it is ok to share my thoughts on the Red Wine Audio modified SB2.  All comments on the SB2 are against my previous transport (a very good Empirical Audio modified Sony S-7700 – basic mods + Jensen 4 pole caps).

First off, Vinnie was and is a pleasure to work with.  I pretty much told him that I was looking to use the SB2 for digital only, and as such, went with his digital only mods, the ac/battery option, and a WBT Silver NextGen RCA socket.

He delivered the unit on time and his communication was excellent.  He contacted me when he promised he would, and even let me pick up the unit early on a Saturday morning (on my way home from the Cape).

Now for the sound…

If I had to choose one word to sum up how the RWA SB2 performs it would be “ENGAGING!”  :dance:

Yes, there is increased detail and attack – system PRaT factor went up a few notches.

Yes, the soundstage deepened while also highlighting the instruments more accurately and precisely.

Yes, vocals and instruments are more fleshed out and image size is a little bigger.

Yes, there is more air and body around everything.

Yes, I think the bass is tight, fast, and most importantly “real” sounding – nothing artificial or over-emphasized.

Yes, I think strings flow beautifully without any hint of glare or grain, while being wonderfully textured.

Yes, I think the highs are crisp, clear, and float away as they should.  Nothing is blunted or exaggerated.

I could go on and on and do the usual blow by blow from the reference cuts, but I think you get the picture.

The RWA SB2 gets the music right from a technical checklist standpoint, but more importantly it has a soul and spirit that will draw you into the music and make you want to listen to cd after cd, song after song (which is quite easy to do now).

Thanks Vinnie for making a product that allowed me to finally make the move to computer based audio, while improving my overall enjoyment when listening to my system.   :thankyou:

George