Everything Louder Than Everything Else!!!! The Metal Thread

PRELUDE

Re: Everything Louder Than Everything Else!!!! The Metal Thread
« Reply #300 on: 11 Nov 2012, 05:47 am »
Samael - 'Passage'

Been listening to this great album a lot recently.  Some say it's their last good one.  They certainly changed directions afterward.  A couple of samples below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT31e__qWCI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzgg4FcRuxQ
I like most of Samael but my most favorite one is Ceremony of Opposites. :thumb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPzkYhKAjB8

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #301 on: 11 Nov 2012, 05:58 am »
Love The Sword.  Any other recommendations of bands like that - sans the obvious like Wolfmother?

Check out mid-to late era Corrosion Of Conformity. They started out as almost a hardcore band so the early albums might not be what you're after. I'm thinking more about Blind or In The Arms Of God. A southern US band like The Sword but they have that Sabbathian heaviness to their sound. Wolfmother not so much - they're like a Uriah Heep tribute band that caught an updraft.

D.D.

PRELUDE

« Reply #302 on: 11 Nov 2012, 06:01 am »
Well now, howzabout dat, headbangers ?  I made a sticky !   :D

Been listening to a lot of In Flames lately...Any other fans of the Gothenburg Sound out there?

D.D.
Of course there are. :thumb:
D.D.  Long time no talk,where have you been?
How about SOILWORK?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFrbonwsNZA&feature=related

PRELUDE

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #304 on: 18 Nov 2012, 03:47 am »
The Sword:

A very good Heavy Rock/Stoner/Doom band.

FireGuy

« Reply #305 on: 18 Nov 2012, 03:57 am »
Draconian's Arcane Rain Fell is the best doom metal album I've come across.  Massive riffs and guitar trails...all day long!

Ericus Rex

« Reply #306 on: 27 Nov 2012, 02:21 am »
Here's the epic final track off Zykon's 'World of Worms' album LIVE!  They do it justice live.  This is the only Zyklon album I've liked.  The guitarist on the left and the drummer were members of Emperor, if you know who they were.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwo1sRBYSzc

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #307 on: 27 Nov 2012, 02:50 am »
Love The Sword.  Any other recommendations of bands like that - sans the obvious like Wolfmother?

How about Sleep, Electric Wizard and St Vitus if you are looking for more groups in that range.

Check them out on YouTube.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #308 on: 27 Nov 2012, 03:43 am »
How about Sleep, Electric Wizard and St Vitus if you are looking for more groups in that range.

Check them out on YouTube.

Thanks - I've heard some electric wizard, and heard the names of  some of the other bands recommended, but got to get cracking and listen to them.

How about at the meet up on December 6 we insist on at least one heavy metal track?  At least that way were not stuck just listening to polite jazz and classical?

Ericus Rex

« Reply #309 on: 27 Nov 2012, 05:26 pm »
Here's the epic final track off Zykon's 'World of Worms' album LIVE!  They do it justice live.  This is the only Zyklon album I've liked.  The guitarist on the left and the drummer were members of Emperor, if you know who they were.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwo1sRBYSzc

Here's the studio version for a comparison.  They had a different vocalist for their first album.  The studio version also has an expanded ending section with clean vocals and some harmonies (!).  The studio version is definitely better but I think they pulled it off OK live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mjgnyLQ5Pw

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #310 on: 27 Nov 2012, 05:41 pm »
Thanks - I've heard some electric wizard, and heard the names of  some of the other bands recommended, but got to get cracking and listen to them.

How about at the meet up on December 6 we insist on at least one heavy metal track?  At least that way were not stuck just listening to polite jazz and classical?
Jon,
The meeting on 8 Dec will be interesting.  Bob's forte is really classical chamber music. 

I have played Black Sabbath at on his system before.  He is more into classic rock than heavy metal, but I am sure that we can give it a shot. 

If you bring something on a USB thumb drive I can play it with the MS-1 at his place. 

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #311 on: 27 Nov 2012, 09:10 pm »
Jon,
The meeting on 8 Dec will be interesting.  Bob's forte is really classical chamber music. 

I have played Black Sabbath at on his system before.  He is more into classic rock than heavy metal, but I am sure that we can give it a shot. 

If you bring something on a USB thumb drive I can play it with the MS-1 at his place.

Is this the guy who has the big VMPS speakers? Would be nice to hear them work.  Chamber + small jazz combo just seems to easy a test to me.

Nothing wrong w/ Sabbath : that's the first "heavy metal" I ever heard.  Will bring some of that w/ some alternatives in case folks are feeling brave.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #312 on: 27 Nov 2012, 09:23 pm »
Yes, the speakers are VMPS RM50's.

Bring music for trials!

heathen

« Reply #313 on: 11 Dec 2012, 01:13 am »
I picked up the new Monolithe album a few weeks, after having spent sometime with it, I feel its another solid release from the band.

PRELUDE

Berndt

« Reply #315 on: 22 Dec 2012, 05:08 am »
Listening a lot to Manilla Road lately.
Gates of fire is really doing it for me.

heathen

« Reply #316 on: 24 Dec 2012, 04:13 am »
Heavy Metal news!!!!!!!
http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists/67854

Maybe its time to move to Sweden.  :lol:

Listening a lot to Manilla Road lately.
Gates of fire is really doing it for me.

I really like Manilla Road too.

I think "Open the Gates" is my favorite. In part do the song "The Ninth Wave" has to be my favorite song by them.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #317 on: 24 Dec 2012, 04:32 am »
I really like Manilla Road too.

I think "Open the Gates" is my favorite. In part do the song "The Ninth Wave" has to be my favorite song by them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1A_-TXwGC0

Stu Pitt

« Reply #318 on: 24 Dec 2012, 05:12 am »
I've been on a huge Anthrax kick lately.  I've liked them since Jr High (mid/late '80s), but I was far more into Metallica, Slayer and Testament at the time.  I'd play an Anthrax tape every now and again, but it was more to change things up than anything else.

Picked up Worship Music a while back, but didn't get to really listen to it until about 3 months ago.  It's by far the best album I've heard in years.  Just a kick-ass old school yet new sounding at the same time thrash album.  If you haven't heard it, you've got to pick it up.  People get all worked up about who's fronting them, and there's some interesting and well deserved controversy about Belladonna's return on this one.  If you can't put someone else's drama aside and just listen to an album for what it is, you'll miss out on what I think is an awesome album.

Worship Music got me to buy some of their old stuff, as I wanted to refresh my memory with stuff beyond the one greatest hits album I had (Return of the Killer A's).  Bought Among the Living, State of Euphoria, and Persistance of Time.  Wondering why I didn't pay far more attention to these guys.  Just such a kick-ass band.  Can't turn them off.

Rage Against The Machine has been on heavy rotation too.  Different than just about everything that's been mentioned here, but metal nonetheless (IMO of course). 

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #319 on: 24 Dec 2012, 10:43 am »
A picture of Tony Iommi's guitar setup in the studio for the new Black Sabbath recording due in June 2013.

Sounds like it is going to be classic Black Sabbath from the discussions on some of the threads!  Oh yeah Baby!  :D

Note: Edited for new release date.
« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2013, 02:40 am by HAL »