Home Theatre Bypass?

Matt__P

Home Theatre Bypass?
« on: 16 Jan 2004, 04:58 pm »
I am learning a ton about audio from this site but alot of it is still way over my head! I'm am starting with 2 channel and then expanding to hometheater
I am confused about how to intergrate 2 ch. with Home theatre.If I'm starting with a preamp and amp for 2 Ch., what do I need to make sure it contains so that it works with a processor for home theatre in the near future?  and finally, what is the preferred way to connect it all?  
Thanks in advance for the help!

byteme

Home Theatre Bypass?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2004, 05:12 pm »
Matt,

Good questions!  I've posted this once or twice before but this is a good area for a repost.  Many people will tell you that in order to integrate the two you'll need a 2 channel preamp with HT bypass/pass thru/whatever they are calling it.  Basically what that is is a separate set of inputs on the preamp that passes directly to the output of the preamp without going through any processing, amplification, tone, balance or volume controls.  This way, you run the mains output from the pre/pro right to the bypass of the 2 channel pre and the pre/pro controls everything.  You do get the best of both worlds this way, however, your choices are pretty limited when it comes to 2 channel preamps with this option.  The way I'm doing it you can use ANY preamp and amp combo for 2 channel as long as the preamp has more than one input!

People might ask the question - what's the need to begin with?  Well, long years ago when I just got out of high school I picked up a kick ass (for me) 2 channel rig - B&K amp, Superphon preamp and Polk RTA11t speakers. I was always interested in (at the time) Pro Logic and tried it but it just wasn't ready yet. Within the last three years we decided Digital HT was for us and I sold the amp and preamp to fund the purchase of an HTB. Theater was excellent and everything we hoped, but two channel sucked. Since then it's been my goal to integrate the two into one system that does both. We've got no space for two separate systems.

I think over the last two years I've gotten very close and am one speaker upgrade away from being very happy with things. I just placed an order with Klaus for a pair of Lorelei's and a Nemesis center to replace my polks and the CS400i center I've currently got. From my experience I think you really can integrate the two and get the best of both worlds.  I love my Philly Audio Blues preamp, but it doesn't have pass thru so this is the way I've got stuff set up:

When I listen two channel, it's PURE two channel and when it's theater time it's pure 7.1 Home theater. I took the pre outs for my main L&R out of the Denon (pre/pro) and ran them into the Philly preamp (2 channel) DVD input. Then when I calibrated the home theater system I noted where the volume on the Philly was and marked it with a small piece of tape.  Now, when I watch a movie, I just switch to DVD on the Philly, turn the volume to the marked spot so that the volume gets set at the appropriate level and listen to a completely balanced and calibrated 7.1 system!

It goes like this connection wise:

Two Channel
Source - Sony DVP-S7700
Cable - HDXV Digital
DAC - Scott Nixon Tubedac
Cable - Groneberg TS Premium
Pre - Philly Audio Blues 7b - (connected to the CD input)
Cable - Triphazer line level 20
Amp - Odyssey Stratos Stereo Extreme
Cable - TS Premium
Speaker - Polk RTA 11TL

Home Theater or TV
Source - Panny DVD player or Sat Box
Cable - Nixon Digital Cable
Processor - Denon 3802
Cable - Stealth ETS
Pre - Philly Audio Blues 7b - (connected to the DVD input)
Cable - Triphazer line level 20 & Stealth ETS
Amp - Stratos for Mains and Newcastle AM9080 for center and side surrounds
Speakers - Polks, CS400i center, f/x 500i side surrounds, RT25i rear surrounds, SVS CS-2039 w/ 250watt plate amp.

The only issue then is that your Digital Receiver or Pre/Pro HAS to have pre-outs for at least the L&R Main channels.  Typically, if it has pre-outs for the mains it has it for all the channels.

Unless you do a lot of 5 channel music I don't think it's THAT important to match surrounds and the front three. The front three are important to match however and that's why I went all Odyssey.

PM me if you have any questions or want to discuss further and good luck!

Brian.

Matt__P

Home Theatre Bypass?
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2004, 05:49 pm »
Brian,

Thanks so much for answering that  !!!
I have one more question. How can a sub be integrated in a system like this? My mains are not full range so I will be using a sub to handle the low end in 2 ch. Does this mean I need a 2nd sub to handle the LFE info from the processor?

byteme

Home Theatre Bypass?
« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2004, 07:36 pm »
Quote from: Matt__P
Brian,

Thanks so much for answering that  !!!
I have one more question. How can a sub be integrated in a system like this? My mains are not full range so I will be using a sub to handle the low end in 2 ch. Does this mean I need a 2nd sub to handle the LFE info from the processor?

Sure!  No problem.  At first I just left the sub to HT duty and didn't bother with including it in 2 channel.  However, curiosity got the best of me and I wanted to see if the sub made a difference and added something to 2 channel.  After trying a couple things that didn't work at all I was able to work something out.  However, this DOES require that your preamp have 2 sets of outputs, which may limit options on the preamp choice.

What I did was went to Radio Shack and picked up an RCA A/B switch - http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=15-1952.    I ran the pre/pro sub output to one side of the switch and the second set of outputs from the 2 channel preamp to the other side of the switch.  Then the output of the switch to the sub amp (or active sub).  That's it.  When you want to use the sub for Movies select that side and select the other side of the switch for 2 channel!

This was the easiest and most effective solution for me.  All it cost was 2 pair of interconnects and the switch.  I didn't worry too much about the quality of the interconnects.  Now, the hardest thing is to remember which switch position is music and which is movies!!  I remember it by having movies on the "b" switch - I just remember "B movies".

EchiDna

Home Theatre Bypass?
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2004, 12:24 am »
ok stupid question time, how many pre's can do HT bypass, including bypass of the sub?

does anyone know of such a beast?

I know the Aspen Amps GK-1 kitset does HT bypass as I've got one, but I don't think it can do sub bypass as well... or can it? (I've actually never tried) hmm... interesting thread!