Help Me Select A HT Speaker System

dlipter

Help Me Select A HT Speaker System
« on: 16 Sep 2009, 06:51 pm »
My room is 12.5' x 20' x 8'.

I will have a 98" projector screen mounted on the long 20' wall.

I want to set up a complete 5.1 or maybe 7.1 sound system that will play at high HT levels cleanly.

Looking through the speaker selections here I see that the N1, & 2 are described as:

"ideal only for small to medium sized rooms where high output levels are not needed"

Is my room considered small, medium, or large?

Does my room preclude using the N1, or 2?

If so, that leaves the A/V-0, AV-2, AV-3, with Dome Tweeters, and
OB7, AV-2, and AV-3 with Planar Tweeters.

I guess one should stay with all dome or all planer types?

Just looking to narrow down the selection.

OK...........After some reading I think I will go for the N3-TL for L&R and a N3-Sealed for a center channel. And a servo sub a little later.

Thoughts?

Thanks
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2009, 09:35 pm by dlipter »

Danny Richie

Re: Help Me Select A HT Speaker System
« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2009, 01:17 am »
I'd say that your room was small to medium sized.

Also the N3 and a single N3S as a center is a really good combo and just about right for your room.

The open baffle models need to be at least 3 feet out from the wall. The O-3 (omni design) will need to be at least 3 feet or more from any wall. You might not have that much room.

If you can get the rear speakers as far away from you (or close to it) as the front speakers then a small stand mount will be fine. From the size of your room though, that might not be a good option.

The omni directional and wall mounted A/V-1RS might be just the ticket if the listening position is very close to the rear wall.

If you go with the A/V-1RS don't worry too much about the tweeters matching. For surrounds it is less important that the tweeters match than the woofers, and These will match nicely with the N3's.

HT cOz

« Reply #2 on: 17 Sep 2009, 01:20 am »
That is what I am doing.  I have an earlier version of the N3 and I have flat packs TL and a sealed C.  Should be killer.  My room is going to be 10X16X8 and I consider that small.  The N3 should work well for me because it is an easy load and efficient.

We are building our house right now, so the HT is a ways from being finished.  It will probably be April 2010 before I get it put together. 

HT cOz

« Reply #3 on: 17 Sep 2009, 01:23 am »

The omni directional and wall mounted A/V-1RS might be just the ticket if the listening position is very close to the rear wall.

In my last HT I had mini monitors pointed at the listening position and basically hated it.  It was distracting.  The omi directional A/V -1RS is the ideal rear speaker.  Someday I will have these for my new HT.

BrianH

« Reply #4 on: 17 Sep 2009, 01:25 am »
Home theater  you might check out the     Demo sale item number 1.

I have just one of them and it is way plenty bass.  I bet Dannys is awesome. :)  And its broken in.  I bet he even will give ya the tail light garantee. :)

Something to consider.

Brian

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 17 Sep 2009, 01:39 am »
Home theater  you might check out the   Demo sale item number 1.

I do still have those.

dlipter

« Reply #6 on: 17 Sep 2009, 04:17 am »
"The omni directional and wall mounted A/V-1RS might be just the ticket if the listening position is very close to the rear wall."

Danny,

By "omni directional" do you mean the A/V-O model?

dvenardos

« Reply #7 on: 17 Sep 2009, 06:22 am »
I believe he was talking about the O-3.
http://www.gr-research.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=119

"The omni directional and wall mounted A/V-1RS might be just the ticket if the listening position is very close to the rear wall."

Danny,

By "omni directional" do you mean the A/V-O model?

HT cOz

« Reply #8 on: 17 Sep 2009, 01:14 pm »

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 17 Sep 2009, 01:29 pm »
Yes, the A/V-1RS is a wall mounted, omni design.

dlipter

« Reply #10 on: 17 Sep 2009, 02:52 pm »
Seating will be close to the rear wall.

But not close to the side walls.

For a 5.1, where should the surrounds go.....side or rear walls. If side, then could the A/V-O or O-3 work or a A/V-1RS?

How about for a 7.1 system....which model for sides and rears?

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 17 Sep 2009, 03:32 pm »
I'd mount them in the rear or behind the listening position if possible.

Most all processors send rear channel information to all surround channels. So if any of them are in front of you then you will hear rear channel information (or what was intended to be rear channel information) out in front of you. That would not be ideal.

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #12 on: 17 Sep 2009, 06:13 pm »

If you go with the A/V-1RS don't worry too much about the tweeters matching. For surrounds it is less important that the tweeters match than the woofers, and These will match nicely with the N3's.

Would they match well with av123 x-cs encores? My friend picked up 3 of those for LCR and was looking for good surround option to go with them now.  ( He loves them, and are replacing dynaudio 50's)

-Tony

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 17 Sep 2009, 06:23 pm »
Would they match well with av123 x-cs encores?

Yep, great match. The woofers are almost identical except for the size difference.

dvenardos

« Reply #14 on: 18 Sep 2009, 04:17 pm »
I like to put 5.1 in the rear also. They are two different specifications. Multi-channel music specifies 5.1 with rear speakers, dolby specifies 5.1 with the speakers more towards the side.
http://www.timefordvd.com/ref/ITU.shtml
http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_entertainment/speaker-setup-guide/index.html

For a 5.1, where should the surrounds go.....side or rear walls. If side, then could the A/V-O or O-3 work or a A/V-1RS?

How about for a 7.1 system....which model for sides and rears?