Where are the wire is just wire guys?

woofersus

• Industry Participant
  • Authorized Dealer: Melody & Angel City Audio
    • East Street Audio
Re: Where are the wire is just wire guys?
« Reply #20 on: 6 Sep 2009, 03:16 am »
I've never been a wire is just wire guy, but I've always been a money is money guy. While I can justify a $2000 DAC, that I only paid $1500 for, and $2600 speakers, that I only paid $1500 for, I find it hard to justify spending $595 for an accessory especially when my mono-block amps were less than $500, total. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that the Majibuss is worth every penny of its asking price, but not all of us can afford the luxury of $595 power conditioners. I do own a PurePower AV 60, retail $600, that I paid $220 for. Hey, I'm cheap.  :dunno:
I believe this is the crux of the issue.  There are a lot of things one can do to upgrade their system, and dollars have to be allocated based on priority.  The Majik Buss might be a great buy based on what it can do compared to other power conditioners at various prices.  However, I can't imagine spending $600 on a power conditioner for a system that involves speakers costing less than that.  Even a home theater costing a total of $3k-$4k may very well have a bigger improvement by upgrading the speakers or maybe going from a receiver to separate pre/pro + amplification than from spending that money on a Majik Buss.  Of course in that situation I don't know for sure as I haven't yet tried it...  Either way there are always value questions about any upgrade versus other things you could spend the money on.

The point is that the value of upgrades is always relative to the amount of improvement that can be percieved within the system and the opportunity costs associated with choosing that upgrade.  I suspect you have a lot of people here that want to buy $329 kits because of the extreme value.  Upgrading to the fantastic Neo 2x's from something similarly priced at a retail store will always trump adding a power conditioner to the same system.

For the record, I'm not a wire is wire guy necessarily, but I have to hear the improvement to believe there will be one and I think that there ARE a lot of BS claims about high end esoteric wires and sound treatments.  I sell some fairly expensive wires from ONIX and I think they are quality products, but they obviously aren't for every system.  You have to have pretty resolving gear to percieve differences from something like wires in my experience.

When I was listening to AV123 ELT525M's powered by a TCA Gizmo I couldn't see justifying a purchase like the Majik buss.  I didn't even bother demoing one because when I had $600 for an updgrade I was going to build N3's.  Now that I am listening to ONIX Monitor 1's powered by an XIA-160 it might make sense, and I definitely want to try it at some point.  After all, I trust my ears and will have to try it out in order to know how much of a difference it can make.

Danny Richie

« Reply #21 on: 7 Sep 2009, 01:58 am »
I appreciate that good feedback.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #22 on: 7 Sep 2009, 02:38 am »
I've never been a wire is just wire guy, but I've always been a money is money guy. While I can justify a $2000 DAC, that I only paid $1500 for, and $2600 speakers, that I only paid $1500 for, I find it hard to justify spending $595 for an accessory especially when my mono-block amps were less than $500, total. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that the Majibuss is worth every penny of its asking price, but not all of us can afford the luxury of $595 power conditioners. I do own a PurePower AV 60, retail $600, that I paid $220 for. Hey, I'm cheap.  :dunno:
I believe this is the crux of the issue.  There are a lot of things one can do to upgrade their system, and dollars have to be allocated based on priority.  The Majik Buss might be a great buy based on what it can do compared to other power conditioners at various prices.  However, I can't imagine spending $600 on a power conditioner for a system that involves speakers costing less than that.  Even a home theater costing a total of $3k-$4k may very well have a bigger improvement by upgrading the speakers or maybe going from a receiver to separate pre/pro + amplification than from spending that money on a Majik Buss.  Of course in that situation I don't know for sure as I haven't yet tried it...  Either way there are always value questions about any upgrade versus other things you could spend the money on.

The point is that the value of upgrades is always relative to the amount of improvement that can be percieved within the system and the opportunity costs associated with choosing that upgrade.  I suspect you have a lot of people here that want to buy $329 kits because of the extreme value.  Upgrading to the fantastic Neo 2x's from something similarly priced at a retail store will always trump adding a power conditioner to the same system.

For the record, I'm not a wire is wire guy necessarily, but I have to hear the improvement to believe there will be one and I think that there ARE a lot of BS claims about high end esoteric wires and sound treatments.  I sell some fairly expensive wires from ONIX and I think they are quality products, but they obviously aren't for every system.  You have to have pretty resolving gear to percieve differences from something like wires in my experience.

When I was listening to AV123 ELT525M's powered by a TCA Gizmo I couldn't see justifying a purchase like the Majik buss.  I didn't even bother demoing one because when I had $600 for an updgrade I was going to build N3's.  Now that I am listening to ONIX Monitor 1's powered by an XIA-160 it might make sense, and I definitely want to try it at some point.  After all, I trust my ears and will have to try it out in order to know how much of a difference it can make.

The best way to upgrade is always one that is built upon prioritization.  I agree with everything that you and a couple of others have said.  If you do not have a good source, a quiet amp and capable speakers, there is no reason to buy a product like mine.

It is like the guys that have junk receivers and build really good speakers with all of the best parts.  Why do that?  Do they want to hear just how bad their gear is?  Without those 3 essential building blocks to a system it will just be GIGO.  My products are admittedly for the dedicated listener with above average systems and above average requirements.  Even so, it is really easy to lose sight of the fact that this STILL is all about the music.

Dave

bluemike

« Reply #23 on: 2 Oct 2009, 02:46 pm »
Anyone know how the majik buss would fair with a power bar plugged into it
At the present moment all of my components are plugged into a blue circle power bar
If this would work I would plug the power bar into the majik buss along with my digital

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #24 on: 3 Oct 2009, 04:34 am »
At the present moment all of my components are plugged into a blue circle power bar
If this would work I would plug the power bar into the majik buss along with my digital

Everything that I know about the Blue Circle tells me that it would be a good combo with the BUSS.  Rock on......

Dave

bluemike

« Reply #25 on: 3 Oct 2009, 06:41 pm »

Everything that I know about the Blue Circle tells me that it would be a good combo with the BUSS.  Rock on......

Dave
thanks Dave
Would you know if the Blue Circle power bar contains MOV's (I know Gilbert uses noise filters in his power bar) ?
Also
Is it best to plug the power bar into the MB or the other way around ?

Reply when you have time
Pat

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #26 on: 4 Oct 2009, 04:44 am »

Dave
thanks Dave
Would you know if the Blue Circle power bar contains MOV's (I know Gilbert uses noise filters in his power bar) ?
Also

Reply when you have time
Pat
Hi, Pat.  Gilbert is here at RMAF a floor below our room.  I will go down there tomorrow abd ask him to get the real skinny on the MOV issue.  If it has MOVs then the BUSS should go after the bar, if not, before the bar.  MOVs are just too noisey and the BUSS will kill that noise.

We are having a very good show and WAAAAAAY too much fun.  Take care and I'll find out.

Dave

bluemike

« Reply #27 on: 4 Oct 2009, 04:59 am »

Dave
thanks Dave
Also

Reply when you have time
Pat
Hi, Pat.  Gilbert is here at RMAF a floor below our room.  I will go down there tomorrow abd ask him to get the real skinny on the MOV issue.  If it has MOVs then the BUSS should go after the bar, if not, before the bar.  MOVs are just too noisey and the BUSS will kill that noise.

We are having a very good show and WAAAAAAY too much fun.  Take care and I'll find out.

Dave
Awesome ! Thanks for taking the time to do this.
Pat

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #28 on: 4 Oct 2009, 05:24 am »

Dave
thanks Dave
Also

Reply when you have time
Pat

Dave
Awesome ! Thanks for taking the time to do this.
Pat

My pleasure.

************************ EDIT

I need to add that I probably won't be able to report back ufor about 24 hours from this edit which is 7:20AM MST on Sunday.  We have to check out of our room at noon and then immediately after the show at 6:00PM we are driving 444 miles back home bacause Gayle has to back at work on Monday to take care of some pressing business.  I will find out everything that I can, though.

Later,

Dave
« Last Edit: 4 Oct 2009, 02:02 pm by dBe »

bluemike

« Reply #29 on: 4 Oct 2009, 05:16 pm »
David no rush on my part !
 :thumb:

Drive safely !

Cheers
Pat

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #30 on: 5 Oct 2009, 07:18 am »
David no rush on my part !
 :thumb:

Drive safely !

Cheers
Pat

Thanks.  It is 1:13 AM and we've been home for about 20 minutes and I need to decompress a bit before hitting the sheets, so......

I talked to Gilbert and he said that if what you have is a Music Bar then you can tell if it has MOVs by looking at the serial number.  They were available both ways.  If your serial number has a star in the number then it has MOVs.  If not, then no MOVs.  If it is not a Music Bar you can email him and he will be able to tell you by looking up the serial number.  He seems to be a very nice guy and we had a good discussion about our mutual products and the industry.

HTH and take care,

Dave, the tired one :sleep:

bluemike

« Reply #31 on: 5 Oct 2009, 06:03 pm »
Thanks Dave
Mine is a music bar and I will check out the serial number to see if it does in fact have Mov
If it does have MOV'S in the circuitry should I be plugging my magic buss into the music bar and the music bar plugged into the wall.

BTW Gilbert is a great guy always helpful and a great designer to boot sounds like you take after him 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #32 on: 5 Oct 2009, 06:23 pm »
Thanks Dave
Mine is a music bar and I will check out the serial number to see if it does in fact have Mov
If it does have MOV'S in the circuitry should I be plugging my magic buss into the music bar and the music bar plugged into the wall.

BTW Gilbert is a great guy always helpful and a great designer to boot sounds like you take after him

No, you plug the music bar into the Majik wich is plugged into the wall.  The Majik will get rid of all the noise from the MOV's. 

Ouch!  I would say they are both great designers that take after themselves.   :D

dvenardos

« Reply #33 on: 5 Oct 2009, 06:38 pm »
No, you plug the music bar into the Majik wich is plugged into the wall.  The Majik will get rid of all the noise from the MOV's. 

Ouch!  I would say they are both great designers that take after themselves.   :D

That's backwards, the MajikBuss has to be behind the music bar in order to take out the noise from the MOVs.

Dave

bluemike

« Reply #34 on: 5 Oct 2009, 06:59 pm »
I thought that was the case but wanted to reconfirm
In terms of order of plug in.....what would the sequence be if it needs to be behind the music bar. :?
Which unit needs to be plugged into the wall

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #35 on: 5 Oct 2009, 07:03 pm »
Yes, my mistake.   :duh:

Wall outlet > BC Music Bar > Majik / Uber

bluemike

« Reply #36 on: 5 Oct 2009, 07:13 pm »
Yes, my mistake.   :duh:

Wall outlet > BC Music Bar > Majik / Uber
Thanks for the reply
To be clear in your interpretation above the bc music bar is plugged into the wall the Majik buss is plugged into the bc music bar
Can I still plug my amps into the Majik buss and will still receive the conditioning benefits the majik offers ?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #37 on: 5 Oct 2009, 07:31 pm »
 Thanks for the reply
To be clear in your interpretation above the bc music bar is plugged into the wall the Majik buss is plugged into the bc music bar
YES

Can I still plug my amps into the Majik buss and will still receive the conditioning benefits the majik offers ?
YES

[/quote]

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #38 on: 5 Oct 2009, 08:57 pm »
Thanks for the reply
YES

YES

[/quote]
Here I am looking at this exchange and I'm having a Yogi Berra: "deja vu, all over again" moment and laughing because I have said and done the same things so many times before.  You know the old: "Don't listen to what I said, understand what I meant" thing.  It is comforting to know that others have those "DUH" moments, too. :lol:

RMAF was huge fun.  We had a good time and the room sounded very good.  I am constantly amazed at just how bad some very expensive gear sounds.  I didn't have much time to cruise the show, but I am extremely pleased that we had our room making music, while a lot of others were just making sound.

Ya'll need to come next year.

I'm still kinda dingy from the weekend today.  We arrived back in Albuquerque early this morning and I'm recovering from the trip before having some oral surgery tomorrow.  I'll write a drug induced synopsis of the weekend maybe tomorrow when I slow down..

Clang, clang, clang......

Dave, out.......................