A/V-1RS (sitting on Coffee Table)

rupnok

Re: A/V-1RS (sitting on Coffee Table)
« Reply #20 on: 8 Jul 2009, 03:00 pm »
Do you have access to a Home Depot or similar store?

Here's what I would do.

Get a 4'x8' sheet of mdf (~$26)  Have them split it in half the long way at the store .

That gives you two 2'x8' pieces.  Not sure how tall your ceilings are so from here you can either cut an end off or buy another quarter sheet of mdf.  Basically following the previous ideas here.  These 2 long pieces will each hold one of your X-LS.  The trick is to build a shelf on the top at the required angle with a lip at the bottom and just place your X-LS firing up and forward into the room.  At the bottom of the long piece you could use the remaining pieces of mdf along with a heavy duty shelf bracket to make a foot which would slide right under your couch.  If the long piece bends too much then you may need to add another board onto the long board for greater stiffness.

:: ASCII image above::

I've experimented with an extra pair of bookshelf speakers on top of some 6' tall bookshelves and they worked very well even on the back wall.  They gave a spacious and non-localizable sound that was extremely effective.  I'm sure the whole project would cost less than $50-100 and they can be painted to suit your taste.They could even be moved to the side walls if you wish.

This is a ::fascinating:: (and VERY cost effective) idea!

(1) I know that the crossover on the X-LS is not designed for this, but is there anything I can do in the Denon 1909 EQ to make this setup mimic the A/V-1RSs?

(2) the X-LS is ported, so I either need to come up with a solution that allows for the port to clear, or plug the port - which would be better, given how close these would be the wall?

(3) Do I top them sideways (so they look like the A/V-1RS) or have the tweeter closer to the top of the wall, and woofer further away?

I am SUPER excited to try this idea!

Danny Richie

« Reply #21 on: 8 Jul 2009, 03:12 pm »
You are going to get some coupling of the wall that will add some heaviness to the sound.

The highs are going to be a bit soft as well, but that could be compensated for (slightly) by removing the last shunt resistor in the circuit.

Hey, why not give it a try and see how it sounds. I may be much better than aiming it at your head.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #22 on: 8 Jul 2009, 06:39 pm »
Sorry Danny,
Didn't mean to rob you of a potential kit sale.  :duh: :oops:

If it's any consolation, he could skip the shelf idea and it would still provide a nice anchor for the AV1RS. aa