A simple suggestion for new audiophiles

chadh

A simple suggestion for new audiophiles
« on: 6 May 2009, 03:34 pm »

This one is so simple, I have no idea why I've never done it before.  It also raises the question of why speaker manufacturers would make such a horrible compromise in the first place.  But here it goes...

Suppose you have speakers capable of being bi-wired.  And suppose the manufacturer provided you with big brass jumper plates to connect the binding posts on your speakers when not bi-wired.  THROW THOSE BRASS PLATES AWAY, NOW, and replace them, even with the cheapest wires you can find.

I have a little system in my office now.  I'm running USB out of my computer to a Peachtree Audio Decco (which is a USB DAC, and integrated amp with tube pre-amp section and headphone amp, all-in-one).  The speakers I'm using are an old pair of Kef Q15 bookshelf speakers.  They are bi-wirable, and came with brass jumper plates between the binding posts.  Well, I recently made myself a set of the "White Lightning Moonshine" cables, and decided to make some jumpers for these speakers using the same formula.  My goodness, what a difference! 

Now, I find it pragmatic to insist that cabling doesn't make a big difference in your audio system, partly because I simply can't afford to believe the alternative, and partly because it would cause me a great deal of anxiety trying to find the "right" cables.  This is a matter of principle, then, not a considered scientific stance.  However, it seems clear to me now that plates of brass have no place in my audio chain.  I think I can take that stance without tarnishing my resolution over cabling.

This change didn't just "strip away a layer of grunge" from the sound.  It was more like dragging the sound out of the depths of a Scottish peat bog and subjecting it to some expensive, industrial cleaning process so it would be sufficiently hygienic for use in food preparation, or maybe surgical procedures.

I'm happy with the speakers, now.  They are flanking my desk, about 5' apart.  I don't get close to an equilateral triangle here:  if you project rays from my seated position to each of the speakers, the included angle is probably close to 120 degrees.  And there's a flat screen monitor in front of me.  The speakers are toed in, but not nearly so much as to point at my ears.  Still, I get a great horizontal soundstage, and I feel I can pick out performers as though they are playing on or behind the monitor in front of me.  It's pretty cool.  But now the jumpers have been replaced, the music sounds much more musical as well.  It's like the performers decided to take their instruments out of their cases before they started playing.

So, count me happy with my new work system.  And committed to eradicating brass jumper plates from bi-wirable speakers.

Chad

secret_string

• Yes, but these go to eleven.
Re: A simple suggestion for new audiophiles
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2009, 04:26 pm »
As a newbe, I have a question I would like to post. My old Pioneer 4 way speakers are rated at 60 wpc. Is there a problem with hookng them up to a receiver that is rated 90 wpc?   Is this a dumb question? Told ya I was a newbe! :duh:

MaxCast

« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2009, 04:34 pm »
As a newbe, I have a question I would like to post. My old Pioneer 4 way speakers are rated at 60 wpc. Is there a problem with hookng them up to a receiver that is rated 90 wpc?   Is this a dumb question? Told ya I was a newbe! :duh:
Not really.  As long as you are not blasting it and bottoming out the woofers or clipping your amp.  If you hear distortion, turn it down.  Are you experiencing any problems?

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2009, 11:30 pm »

This change didn't just "strip away a layer of grunge" from the sound.  It was more like dragging the sound out of the depths of a Scottish peat bog and subjecting it to some expensive, industrial cleaning process so it would be sufficiently hygienic for use in food preparation, or maybe surgical procedures.

Well...I don't know if I would go that far in describing the change in sound but there does seem to be an increase in clarity and the changing to wire jumpers certainly does no harm.

I used 18 gauge solid core wire from Radio Shack, 3 - 5" long pieces that are braided together just for fun. I left the ends bare, no soldering required.

Just do it.

Wayne

chadh

« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2009, 01:29 am »

Well...I don't know if I would go that far in describing the change in sound but there does seem to be an increase in clarity and the changing to wire jumpers certainly does no harm.

What?  You think I might have been exaggerating just a little?

My apologies about the hyperbole.  It was meant to convey that the change was significant enough to leave me quite surprised. 

Your little RS effort is nice, and the braiding is very attractive!  Aren't you always amazed at how nature manages to make attractive things useful as well?  My jumpers were made with some excess Woods 14 gauge extension wire, which I had procured to D-I-myself a couple of sets of the infamous White Lightning Moonshine speaker cables.  I think I have one wire on the positive leg and a twisted pair on the negative.

Chad

mfsoa

« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2009, 03:01 am »
Hi Wayne,

I'm wondering why you have two pairs of speaker cables going to the same binding posts, or maybe I'm not seeing things right.

Are you biwiring to the same posts and then jumpering down to the woofer?

Just curious
Thanks

-Mike

WGH

« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2009, 05:45 am »
Hi Wayne,

I'm wondering why you have two pairs of speaker cables going to the same binding posts, or maybe I'm not seeing things right.

Are you biwiring to the same posts and then jumpering down to the woofer?

Just curious
Thanks

-Mike

I was hoping nobody would notice. :)  Years ago when I still had the JBL L100's the bass seemed weak with 25' of Kimber 4VS to each speaker. Bi-wiring with the fat wire helped balance out the sound and since the wires were already there that is how the VR2's are wired.

Albert recommends putting the wires on the upper terminal if using a single amp. Imaging is better this way.

Wayne

Wayner

« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2009, 12:26 pm »
I strip the wires back a couple of inches and feed thru the bottom into the top, thus eliminating any need for jumpers. If you have heavier gauge speaker wires, this will be an easy alternative to making jumpers, feed thru one, then to it's (appropriate polarity) mate. I don't use banana plugs on my speakers that have bi-wire/amp terminals, I always feed thru. It's just easier.

How are you guys able to post pictures?

Wayner :)

mgalusha

« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2009, 02:45 pm »
This is classic, I damn near had tears in my eyes. I'll have to save this somewhere.  :thumb:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #9 on: 31 May 2009, 06:02 pm »

How are you guys able to post pictures?

Wayner :)

Until the AC site is back to normal....folks need a host site like Photobucket or others....then you link to it Wayner.  :wink:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #10 on: 1 Jun 2009, 04:13 pm »
Secret String wrote:

"As a newbe, I have a question I would like to post. My old Pioneer 4 way speakers are rated at 60 wpc. Is there a problem with hookng them up to a receiver that is rated 90 wpc?   Is this a dumb question? Told ya I was a newbe!"

It's best to have too much power than not enough.  Pushing an amp too hard (because there isn't enough power) results in distortions, perhaps the most typical is called clipping.  When an amp is asked to go beyond its limit, the nice sine waves (like the shape a jump rope makes) is cut staight across at that limit.  That sudden cut off, or clip, tries to force the driver to suddenly stop (and then start again).  The sudden stop/start results in heat build up that can melt drivers.

Drivers can much more easily absorb overloads of "clean" (non-distorted signal) than smaller distorted signals.  Your 90 wpc amp is perfect for speakers rated at 60 watts (unless I live below you).   :)

secret_string

• Yes, but these go to eleven.
« Reply #11 on: 1 Jun 2009, 07:28 pm »
Thank you so much for your response. I'm sure I will never live above you, but those neighbors next door......

werd

« Reply #12 on: 10 Jul 2009, 07:53 pm »
Hi folks

another suggestion when using the brass jumpers or even quality cable. run the negative feed to the top end and the positive to the lower end, or visa versa but what ever u choose keep it the same on both speaks.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #13 on: 10 Jul 2009, 08:33 pm »

plates of brass have no place in my audio chain

Amen to that brother! Great thread for the beginner, as well as the old timer that just never got around to it.

I think the biggest obstacle to get over is the visual confusion. Those big gold plated brass jumpers look superior to a home made wire jumper. And solid core wire from Radio Shack?? How can that be any good? Well, try it and see for yourself. What do you really have to lose? :D

I like the feed thru idea too,,,,, very clever! But it makes me wonder. If you're already home-brewing on the cheap, why not just bi-wire and be done with it?

Enquiring minds need to know . . . . .

toobluvr

« Reply #14 on: 10 Jul 2009, 08:52 pm »

I too used the "feed through" technique on a pair of Spendor S6 I owned years ago.  Posts were arranged vertically so it was easy as pie, and the sound was great.   

Replacing the jumpers in this manner is a simple, elegant and cheap solution for those that don't wanna bi-wire.

WGH

« Reply #15 on: 11 Jul 2009, 01:14 am »
And solid core wire from Radio Shack?? How can that be any good?

I knew I should have lied.  :duh:

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #16 on: 11 Jul 2009, 03:30 am »
And solid core wire from Radio Shack?? How can that be any good?

Looks to me that your jumpers use braided wire, just three braids each!

Quiet Earth

« Reply #17 on: 11 Jul 2009, 04:20 am »

:oops: Did I mess up again??? I was in total agreement with your beautifully constructed RS solid core jumpers!  :oops:

(The words always form well in my mind, but not so well on my keyboard . . . .  :green:)

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #18 on: 11 Jul 2009, 04:34 am »
I'd agree....a nice job on the braided jumpers... :beer:

WGH

« Reply #19 on: 11 Jul 2009, 05:35 am »
:oops: Did I mess up again??? I was in total agreement with your beautifully constructed RS solid core jumpers!  :oops:

(The words always form well in my mind, but not so well on my keyboard . . . .  :green:)

Your reply was perfectly worded and I knew what you meant, I was just playing around.
But I would have gotten more Ooh's and Aah's if I said I braided Cardas or Kimber wire.

TD - You are right, 3 - 5" lengths of wire braided together. You would need 60" of wire to make 4 jumpers.
Michael Percy sells wire by the foot if you want to get fancy, the Kimber 4 or 8TC is nice stuff (and you don't have to braid it).

Wayne