NEW! THE AVA FULL DIFFERENTIAL SYSTEMS

grenamc

Re: NEW! THE AVA FULL DIFFERENTIAL SYSTEMS
« Reply #60 on: 7 Jul 2008, 09:59 pm »
Excellent info.  Thanks Frank.  I may yet sell the TP without modding to move to a Squeezebox, a much better candidate for transport duty.  That would certainly help facilitate the purchase of some Insight AVA gear, which may be my first AVA purchase, though I might be picking up Ricmon's used FetValve 550.  :D 

Thanks again,
Michael

plaf26

« Reply #61 on: 28 Aug 2008, 08:47 pm »
Preliminary pricing:

OmegaStar Differential Preamplifier/DAC $2499.  Just add source equipment and two matching amplifiers.

OmegaStar Differential Amplifier $2499.  Over 300 watts per channel.  Takes the full differential setup down to two pieces.

Ultra hybrid Differential DAC.  $2999

Ultra hybrid Differential Preamplifier  $2999

Add two matching amplifiers or OmegaStar Differential Amplifier and your sources.

Available this summer.

Any progress on this front to report?  :drool:

Toka

« Reply #62 on: 6 Oct 2008, 06:44 pm »
Any progress on this front to report?  :drool:

Seconded!  :oops:

avahifi

« Reply #63 on: 6 Oct 2008, 06:48 pm »
The differential equipment is on hold because the manufacturers of new super duper DAC chips are coming out with new models faster than we can design and build pre-production boards for them.  :(

No point doing new conceptual stuff with already obsolete devices.  We are working hard on the project but more sample DACs are in development now.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

ricmon

« Reply #64 on: 6 Oct 2008, 06:51 pm »
Frank I know you may have answered this question already.  But..............will you be using these new DAC chips in the Ultra DAC?

plaf26

« Reply #65 on: 31 May 2009, 11:06 pm »
It's been quite awhile.  Are we any closer?  Or am I :deadhorse:

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #66 on: 1 Jun 2009, 12:34 am »
It's been quite awhile.  Are we any closer?  Or am I :deadhorse:

See this thread, Reply #7.

Have fun,
Jerry

plaf26

« Reply #67 on: 1 Jun 2009, 01:36 am »
See this thread, Reply #7.

Thanks, Jerry.  Wish I'd seen that earlier.  Now I gotta rethink the whole thing. :duh:

avahifi

« Reply #68 on: 5 Jun 2009, 02:47 pm »
Decisions regarding the cost effectiveness on offering a true full differential system will hinge upon what DAC chip set we finalize on in the near future.

The issues are simply one of value.  It will cost nearly twice as much to provide independent four channel electronics from input to output of the system.  The advantage is that all common mode distortion cancels.  This is useful if, and only if, there is enough residule distortion in the basic stereo circuits to make a significantly audible musical performance when that distortion is canceled.  With our first generation differential system shown at AKFEST a year ago, the system seemed to offer real merit.  However, since then the new Insight circuits and improvements to the hybrid units too have reduced the basic distortion to a point that differential operation does not have much remaining distortion to cancel.  My judgment right now is that the concept will no longer be cost effective.  However, we still might offer the function for those that just have to have the best we can do, regardless of a much higher price.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine