NEW! THE AVA FULL DIFFERENTIAL SYSTEMS

ricmon

Re: NEW! THE AVA FULL DIFFERENTIAL SYSTEMS
« Reply #60 on: 7 Jul 2008, 04:50 pm »
I'm in the process of acquiring 2 Son of Ampzilla amps and was wondering if there are any limitations on amp topology that can or can not be used with the differential pre amp excluding mono blocks.  If there are no problems with this set up it will make the transition to a full differential system easier.  Because I can use my traditional CDP until I could afford the differential DAC.

avahifi

« Reply #61 on: 7 Jul 2008, 05:49 pm »
To answer a few questions:

First of all you can "get by" with a single stereo amp.  You would just connect the left + signal and the right + signal to your stereo amplifier and it will work as with any normal preamp.  Both channels are putting out full range plus and minus signals so you can use only one of each without problems.  You just won't enjoy the benefits of the distortion nulling until you add a second stereo power amplifier.

Regarding the Son of Ampzilla, assuming it is standard common ground construction, a pair of them should work just fine, way better than you would ever expect the amplifiers to perform.

Regarding MarkD's question, I would suggest he just invest in a new Insight DAC.  Given the huge performance boost we have made with the new Insight solid state equipment, that may be as far as you want to go at this time.  The Insight DAC of course will be valuable trade up material if you want to go to the differential setup in the future.

No XLR connections planned at this time.  The TP device with balanced outputs may or may not be as good a performer as the circuits in the planned Insight preamp/DAC combo, I suspect "may not" is likely.  The combo preamp/DAC takes a single RCA jack input from the DC player/transport and is designed to drive any pair of stereo amplifiers, using two sets of RCA stereo cables, so XLR fittings are simply a costly redundant consideration.

No plans for building digital input switching into the combo preamp/DAC or any of our separate DACs.  There are very nice low cost switching boxes available for less than the cost of us building them in.

The only planned combo and differential front ends at this time are the Insight solid state series.  The combination of the new circuits plus differential mode operation makes using tube or hybrid circuits for these purposes very expensive with only minor sonic improvements.  Its just not worth the high extra cost.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

grenamc

« Reply #62 on: 7 Jul 2008, 09:59 pm »
Excellent info.  Thanks Frank.  I may yet sell the TP without modding to move to a Squeezebox, a much better candidate for transport duty.  That would certainly help facilitate the purchase of some Insight AVA gear, which may be my first AVA purchase, though I might be picking up Ricmon's used FetValve 550.  :D 

Thanks again,
Michael

plaf26

« Reply #63 on: 28 Aug 2008, 08:47 pm »
Preliminary pricing:

OmegaStar Differential Preamplifier/DAC $2499.  Just add source equipment and two matching amplifiers.

OmegaStar Differential Amplifier $2499.  Over 300 watts per channel.  Takes the full differential setup down to two pieces.

Ultra hybrid Differential DAC.  $2999

Ultra hybrid Differential Preamplifier  $2999

Add two matching amplifiers or OmegaStar Differential Amplifier and your sources.

Available this summer.

Any progress on this front to report?  :drool:

Toka

« Reply #64 on: 6 Oct 2008, 06:44 pm »
Any progress on this front to report?  :drool:

Seconded!  :oops:

avahifi

« Reply #65 on: 6 Oct 2008, 06:48 pm »
The differential equipment is on hold because the manufacturers of new super duper DAC chips are coming out with new models faster than we can design and build pre-production boards for them.  :(

No point doing new conceptual stuff with already obsolete devices.  We are working hard on the project but more sample DACs are in development now.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

ricmon

« Reply #66 on: 6 Oct 2008, 06:51 pm »
Frank I know you may have answered this question already.  But..............will you be using these new DAC chips in the Ultra DAC?

plaf26

« Reply #67 on: 31 May 2009, 11:06 pm »
It's been quite awhile.  Are we any closer?  Or am I :deadhorse:

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #68 on: 1 Jun 2009, 12:34 am »
It's been quite awhile.  Are we any closer?  Or am I :deadhorse:

See this thread, Reply #7.

Have fun,
Jerry

plaf26

« Reply #69 on: 1 Jun 2009, 01:36 am »
See this thread, Reply #7.

Thanks, Jerry.  Wish I'd seen that earlier.  Now I gotta rethink the whole thing. :duh:

avahifi

« Reply #70 on: 5 Jun 2009, 02:47 pm »
Decisions regarding the cost effectiveness on offering a true full differential system will hinge upon what DAC chip set we finalize on in the near future.

The issues are simply one of value.  It will cost nearly twice as much to provide independent four channel electronics from input to output of the system.  The advantage is that all common mode distortion cancels.  This is useful if, and only if, there is enough residule distortion in the basic stereo circuits to make a significantly audible musical performance when that distortion is canceled.  With our first generation differential system shown at AKFEST a year ago, the system seemed to offer real merit.  However, since then the new Insight circuits and improvements to the hybrid units too have reduced the basic distortion to a point that differential operation does not have much remaining distortion to cancel.  My judgment right now is that the concept will no longer be cost effective.  However, we still might offer the function for those that just have to have the best we can do, regardless of a much higher price.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine