A sub-woofer with mission 74i ?

django1

A sub-woofer with mission 74i ?
« on: 9 Oct 2007, 05:15 pm »
Hi,
   I purchased a Denon avr 1603 receiver and 2 Mission 740i speakers some time ago and have never been satisfied with the sound for certain types of music.  Specifically for rock and pop the sound is flat.  It has been suggested to me that I should add a sub woofer.  The main use would be for music with occasional ht.  The room is approximately 16 by 16 with 7 foot ceilings and a ceramic floor.  The room is quite irregular ( there is a staircase, a hall and a "nook").  I have been looking at the av123 x-sub as my budget is limited.  Any advice would be appreciated, is this a case of good money after bad?

Bob Reynolds

Re: A sub-woofer with mission 74i ?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Oct 2007, 08:21 pm »
I don't think so. Adding a subwoofer can have a huge positive effect on your system. Running the left and right channels as "small" will let the sub handle the bass, which is what it's designed to do and also give your receiver's amps a break. I'd suggest one of the Hsu Research subs.

django1

Re: A sub-woofer with mission 74i ?
« Reply #2 on: 12 Oct 2007, 01:40 am »
 Mr Reynolds,
   Thank you for your reply.  I had already ordered the x-sub before reading your recommendation so I didn't consider the Hsu sub.  I do hope it improves my situation, at the very least it seems attractive!