Torus Power Question

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Torus Power Question
« on: 10 Nov 2005, 07:22 pm »
Hello,

I was chatting with James Tanner at Bryston about the power requirements for my upcoming home theatre system. Based on my equpment, James recommended either the 4 or 5kW Torus unit (Bryston 4BSST, Bryston 9BSST, Bryston SP2 processor, various other components, and a video projector). He indicated to me that these units run off of a 40 amp circuit.

I am getting ready to bring my electrician in and run the necessary circuits for the room. Ideally, I would have a 40 amp recepticle at the back of the room, near my equipment rack, that I could plug the Torus unit into. I would then plug the local components in the rack directly into the Torus unit. For the projector, which requires a ceiling plug, and the 4B SST, which will be at the front of the room, I would like to have local recepticles at these locations that somehow run back to where the Torus unit is. I guess I'm wondering if it's possible to wire these plugs so they function like
a transfer panel.

Also, I'd like to confirm the type of plug required for the 4 or 5 kW unit. Is it the same sort of plug that a stove or dryer runs on?

Thanks in advance. Great product.

Jason

ANSWER:

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your interest in Torus Products.

The Torus Products will be available in either Rack-mount or Wall-mount versions.

The Rack-mount products have panel-mounted inlets and output recepticales. The power levels will be: 1800VA, 2400VA, 5400VA, 7200VA, 9000VA and 12000VA.

Wall-mount units are intened for hard-wired instalations. The available power levels will be: 5400VA, 7200VA, 9000VA and 12000VA.

The wall-mount units are like electrical-panel boxes. As you need outlets in 3 locations, this may be the best style for you.

The 5400VA wall-mount unit is housed in a NEMA metal enclosure 18" x 18" x 6". Its input can be wired for 208V, or 240V.

The 240V input can be 2 x 120V with the primary center-tap of the transformer tied to ground for better noise attenuation (balanced input).

The 5400VA wall-mount unit provides three circuits of 120V at 15A. These outputs would be wired to the three zones in your room (Rear, Ceiling, Front) to duplex outlets.

The 5400VA Rack-mount product has a twist-lock inlet and 9 duplex outlets on its rear panel. The input can plug into a dryer-style oulet: 2-phase 240V rated for minimum 25A. This unit could be your other option.

james