Looking for feedback on the Transcendence 10RB or Vision SLR

MosDeaf

Hello and Happy Holidays. I'm looking for insight, complaints, and opinions on either of these preamps.
This would be for my digital system only. I have an all tube system in another room so this preamp would be for a streamer and TV apps basically. I'm very happy with the current system, every piece I'll list has been picked after trying others, sometimes many others.

Streamer is a Primare Prisma, into a RME ADI-2 FS dac. Straight to an Arcam PA240 amplifier out to Polk R700 towers and SVS 2000pro subwoofer. I find them all to be very good for the money pieces of gear. The system is very transparent and detailed. I use REW to measure my room and I have a balanced neutral sound. I use to use a MiniDsp DDRC-22D in this set-up but find the PEQ functions in my Dac and Subwoofer app are more than enough to not need the DSP. My speakers work well in my room.

I'm pretty happy with the current set up but I've tried a few other preamps in the system and feel that a good one can add to my overall experiences. The digital attenuator in the RME dac is pretty great, but I feel the dac lacks better dynamic swings as a preamp. This year I tried the tubes4hifi SP13 tube kit I built, an Audio Hungary Qualiton preamp, and an old Chinese tube pre with mods done to it. None of them worked long term. But I experienced either bigger soundstage, better dynamics, slightly better resolution and a couple other subjective things from these pre's that were better than going straight from dac to amp. But none of those pre's had the whole package, and in the end the RME is just better overall with my system. The Chinese pre pairs well with my tube amp though.

My amp's single ended inputs have a very low 10k ohm input. So that is a factor. I had to up the values of the output caps in a couple of the pre's I mentioned to get a full frequency response. The Trans RB10 shouldn't have any issues with my amp i believe. It has 2 outputs so I can add my sub. Uses 6922 tubes,which I have a few very old nice sets of that I never had a chance to use. The description of the RB10 says great dynamics and resolution, which is what I'm searching for at a budget type price.   I understand a lot of it is subjective but any opinions or thoughts on what I've shared and the RB10 would be greatly appreciated. And if anyone has any insight on the differences between the RB10 and the Vision SLR preamps I would love to hear that as well. I do love tubes but does the Vision SLR have any better qualities about it.

Thank you to anyone that took the time to read thru all this. I'm open to any info or criticisms.

Jeff_From_Michigan

Re: Looking for feedback on the Transcendence 10RB or Vision SLR
« Reply #1 on: 22 Dec 2023, 03:11 pm »
The T10RB is a great performer in my experience.  I got one of the early units and had to pony up for the remote (volume and mute), but I believe that comes standard now.

I find that it is very close in performance to my current more expensive preamp, which I am using because it mates both sonically and cosmetically with my amps from the same brand.

Talk to Frank when ordering, and he will build your unit with the right gain to pair with your amp. I think you'll love this preamp.

ytl

« Reply #2 on: 22 Dec 2023, 07:41 pm »
See my notes on Vision SLR preamp in the other thread: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=187561.0

One thing I might add is the dual output in the Vision SLR, which is perfect for your subwoofer setup.  I have a similar setup with Acoustic Energy AE1 and Hsu ULS15.

Chazz5

« Reply #3 on: 24 Dec 2023, 08:39 pm »
I have: RME ADI-2 FS DAC -> Van Alstine Transcendance RB10 preamp -> FirstWatt F8 amp -> Spendor A1 speakers.

The RB10 is not strictly necessary to get good sound from this setup. However, when I put it in, I find the music to be more natural while still plenty detailed. This is just my impression, of course.

I nearly max out the RB10 volume control and use the RME control to set my desired volume. The RME is said to deliver constant sound quality at any volume setting.

MosDeaf

« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2023, 10:33 pm »
Thanks for the feedback everyone, it truly is appreciated. The RB10 seems like a safe yet good choice for a pre. I took special note to what @chazz5 mentioned about his RME. I as well feel it has a quality digital volume control and works well as a preamp.. but sometimes adding an analog preamp can bring something nice to the overall sound or presentation. I saw AVA has a 30 day return period so that is nice. I will reach out to Frank or Mary before making the purchase.

Thanks again and Happy New Year!!