Monoblocks vs Stereo Amps

catluck

Monoblocks vs Stereo Amps
« on: 8 Dec 2022, 02:31 pm »
From Tyson on p.23 of the Gallium Nitride post,

"I bought mine used, someone had bought 2 to use in their system and found that only 1 was needed.  Lucky me!"

Which raises an interesting point and cause for this thread.  Do monoblocks outperform stereo amps when considering soundstage presentation (if not headroom issues)?  Note John Atkinson's comment in the Jan., 2023 issue of Stereophile when reviewing the Schiit Audio Tyr amplifier (as monoblocks),

"Monoblock amplifiers always excel at reproducing recorded soundstages... A shiver ran down my spine: the Tyrs excelled at reproducing recorded space..."

I've used monoblocks for decades, and for, among others, the reason Atkinson notes. Other reasons include ease of placement and shorter speaker cables. Still, I wonder.  Certainly, having monoblocks maximizes channel separation (?) which, arguably, optimizes soundstage. But, perhaps, I drank the cool-aid. Oh well, no matter - with the MiniGan 5's as monoblocks I couldn't be happier with the sound I'm hearing now.

Carl V

Re: Monoblocks vs Stereo Amps
« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2022, 02:47 pm »
Separate L- R Amps certainly helps...Monaural or two stereo amps passively bi-wired (vertically) can help.
Cable lengths I don't feel has much of an effect on Soundstage....imho.

Mr. Big

« Reply #2 on: 8 Dec 2022, 02:57 pm »
I've owned mono amps and stereo amps, and both can image equally well providing the front-end preamp has that ability in its reproduction. The preamp is the traffic cop of one's system.

Early B.

« Reply #3 on: 8 Dec 2022, 05:50 pm »
I recently went from a dual mono setup (essentially monoblocks due to separate power supplies in the same chassis) to a tube amp and found no difference in channel separation and dynamics. Previously, I've owned solid-state and tube monoblocks. I've also owned a pair of bridged amps. I ran one in stereo and then ran them in mono and there was a distinct improvement in sound with the monos, but not enough to justify the added cost to pursue high-end monos. Nonetheless, if you have deep pockets, go with monoblocks, but only after you've exhausted other refinements to your system. As Mr. Big indicated, your front end and preamp must be resolving enough to feed the amp(s).   

RonN5

« Reply #4 on: 8 Dec 2022, 06:00 pm »
The Spatials are pretty easy loads and it might be that most stereo amps aren’t being taxed at all meaning the extra power supply from dual monos may add no value… as to shorter cables, I don’t know… I’ve never found speaker cable lengths between 6’ and 15’ to sound different.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #5 on: 8 Dec 2022, 08:22 pm »
A big dual mono kind of guy from Source to speakers.

charles

Mr. Big

« Reply #6 on: 9 Dec 2022, 12:38 am »
I recently went from a dual mono setup (essentially monoblocks due to separate power supplies in the same chassis) to a tube amp and found no difference in channel separation and dynamics. Previously, I've owned solid-state and tube monoblocks. I've also owned a pair of bridged amps. I ran one in stereo and then ran them in mono and there was a distinct improvement in sound with the monos, but not enough to justify the added cost to pursue high-end monos. Nonetheless, if you have deep pockets, go with monoblocks, but only after you've exhausted other refinements to your system. As Mr. Big indicated, your front end and preamp must be resolving enough to feed the amp(s).

Also, for the company double the amps sold in Mono. Lots of myths become facts because they are passed along year after year. Perhaps on very difficult speakers to drive the monoblocks might be a shade better, but nowhere near huge or night and day better. Spatials are easy a load; save money buy more music on CD or LP or the best preamp you can afford.