Having to sell some of my Salk's

sfox7076

Having to sell some of my Salk's
« on: 6 Oct 2022, 07:14 pm »
Life changes.  For a few reasons, I am going to have to part with my Exotica 3s.  It's a sad day for me.  I have had them since 2014 or 2015 and have never really looked at other speakers again.  Regardless, I felt the need to post because when I ordered them I remembered all the time I waited and the excitement, but we rarely see people post the lament of having to let go.  Well, that is what this post is.  I may go one more round with the wife on letting me keep them, but this is an argument I surely cannot win...  At least I will still have a pair of Salk bookshelves in my office.

Shawn

rowdyrobot

Re: Having to sell some of my Salk's
« Reply #1 on: 7 Oct 2022, 01:54 am »
Sorry to hear it. Wishing you a Festivus miracle to keep the Exotica 3’s.
Let us know if we can write letters of support that you NEED to keep them.

Bubba12

« Reply #2 on: 7 Oct 2022, 02:19 am »
How much?
Life changes.  For a few reasons, I am going to have to part with my Exotica 3s.  It's a sad day for me.  I have had them since 2014 or 2015 and have never really looked at other speakers again.  Regardless, I felt the need to post because when I ordered them I remembered all the time I waited and the excitement, but we rarely see people post the lament of having to let go.  Well, that is what this post is.  I may go one more round with the wife on letting me keep them, but this is an argument I surely cannot win...  At least I will still have a pair of Salk bookshelves in my office.

Shawn

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 7 Oct 2022, 02:36 am »
My JBL M2's are better than the ex wife ever was.   :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 7 Oct 2022, 02:27 pm »
Sure hope you get to keep them.

Rocket

« Reply #5 on: 9 Oct 2022, 10:42 am »
Hi,

Can you just get a new wife and keep the speakers? I guess this is the reason I'm single...  :duh:

Seriously, sorry you have to sell these and you won't find retail speakers this good.

Cheers Rod

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 9 Oct 2022, 02:57 pm »
How deep is your relationship if loudspeakers can come between you?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #7 on: 9 Oct 2022, 03:59 pm »
The Exotica3 speakers sound wonderful. They made it to the final round of my great speaker search. In the end, I chose the Apollo speakers, but I’ve never forgotten how much I love the Exotica sound. I feel for you.

Michael

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #8 on: 9 Oct 2022, 11:03 pm »
Sounds like a case of Tom Brady and Gisele.

sfox7076

« Reply #9 on: 12 Oct 2022, 02:00 am »
Not quite.  But we have kids, and they drive much of the decision making.  I have not figured out a price yet.  There are some dents and dings, which I am sure Jim can fix.  Note that I get to keep my thousands of tubes because they don't live in our Brooklyn living room.

Early B.

« Reply #10 on: 12 Oct 2022, 02:34 am »
Note that I get to keep my thousands of tubes because they don't live in our Brooklyn living room.

Ummm... did you say, "thousands?"

sfox7076

« Reply #11 on: 12 Oct 2022, 02:48 am »
Ummm... did you say, "thousands?"

Yes....  Now you sound like my wife...

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #12 on: 12 Oct 2022, 03:32 am »
Aww man Shawn, I remember seeing the pics of your speakers when Jim finished them. Still my favorite veneer I’ve seen on the Exotica’s. Hope things can be worked out

sfox7076

« Reply #13 on: 12 Oct 2022, 12:12 pm »
Thanks for the inquiries from the 7 -8 of you that have reached out.  I am selling them, but I am not selling them for less than a pair of SongTowers.  I will let them sit in the basement of my other house rather than that.  I do want someone to enjoy these (for sure), but this is not the most fun experience for me, and making it more painful isn't worth it.  I don't need the money. 

So that said, I will address a few questions that I got and some explanations.  First, I have reached out to Jim about repairs.  He needs to see pictures.  I am going to put them at the bottom of this thread and send them to him.  Rightly or wrongly, the sinker cypress hides the imperfections very well.  I would say that there is only one major scrape (thanks kid), but it is hidden pretty well by the color alone. 

Second, I have to check, but I believe I have the original crossovers and will include them in the sale.  I replaced them completely on new boards.  They were solen caps, copper airgap coils and mills resistors.  I replaced them with Jupiter foil resistors, Jantzen wax copper coils and mills resistors.  The changes were mostly subtle, but there is more detail in the high end.  The subs have not been touched.  The caps, resistors and new coils were over $2k.  So I think that would bring the retail on the speakers to $17-18k.

I guess I will make my initial ask $8,500.  A bit more than 50% off.  Plus fees and shipping.   I will update this post in a bit with the pictures as I have to go to a CLE class now, though they are in my gallery.

Shawn
Speaker 1

Speaker 2

« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2022, 03:43 pm by sfox7076 »

Phil A

« Reply #14 on: 12 Oct 2022, 02:14 pm »
Location?  Certainly would help some looking as the speakers are heavy and expensive to ship.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #15 on: 12 Oct 2022, 02:40 pm »
My JBL M2's are better than the ex wife ever was.   :thumb:

:lol:

There are times when I so wish this forum had a like button option!

Best,
Anand.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #16 on: 12 Oct 2022, 02:41 pm »
Location?  Certainly would help some looking as the speakers are heavy and expensive to ship.

Phil,

Hope you and your family are safe and well after Ian passed through and created the horrible devastation I have seen…

Best,
Anand.

sfox7076

« Reply #17 on: 12 Oct 2022, 02:58 pm »

Brooklyn, NY.  Mentioned 1-2 times above.  But this was not a sale post. Sigh.

Phil A

« Reply #18 on: 12 Oct 2022, 04:41 pm »
Phil,

Hope you and your family are safe and well after Ian passed through and created the horrible devastation I have seen…

Best,
Anand.

Anand - thanks so much for asking but I'm fine.  I'm east central FL, about half an hour drive (north and east) from Cape Canaveral.  NASA located there as where I am doesn't see really all that much of the problems vs. many other areas of FL.  There are causeways north and south of where I am which go towards the ocean but in a straight line I'm about 7 miles from the ocean.  Most of the hurricanes which come from the southeast turn northward towards the Carolinas before hitting the east coast (https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/news/historical-hurricanes/).
The only damage I saw (and was not really due to the hurricane) was a palm leaf that came down near the front of the house (and too tall to reach) which was ready to come down anyway.  It slightly bent a gutter and slightly tore down a gutter corner piece.  I sent a pic to the gutter company and told them it is no rush as it doesn't impact the function of the gutter.  Yes it was horrible where it hit.  Ft. Meyers (on the west coast) for one, took a beating - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RMQENwnCCc

Phil A

« Reply #19 on: 12 Oct 2022, 04:43 pm »
Brooklyn, NY.  Mentioned 1-2 times above.  But this was not a sale post. Sigh.

Sorry, I didn't see anything. I always look for the location and many times it isn't indicated.