Servo Sub Wiring

NoahH

Servo Sub Wiring
« on: 2 Oct 2022, 04:14 am »
A warning about keeping the length of the wires from subwoofer to plate short to keep the servo control working. But I can't find guidance on what length is considered reasonable. I have 6 foot tall subs, so I realize I am already burning footage just in the baffle.

UPDATE: I would actually love to hear any experiences folks have had with different wire for their subs from plate to driver. Context is my wife has asked that I move the plate amps a bit further from the subs into a rack, and that I use wire that "looks intentional". Since she has let me have 900 lbs of speaker in the living room, I am happy to oblige her but I need to figure the wiring out.

I have 12 drivers in 4 "channels" so, with servo wires as well, I have 8 pairs of wires to run, and I would prefer not to redo this many times.

Right now, my best idea is reusing the 24 strand GR wire with one run for each 'channel' and just splitting it into 6 strand sets so that each cable handles a fully signal and servo set.

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: 2 Oct 2022, 10:21 pm by NoahH »

Early B.

Re: Servo wire length
« Reply #1 on: 2 Oct 2022, 04:35 am »
The guidance is clear -- keep the wire lengths as short as possible. Don't expect to receive a scientific explanation from the manufacturer like, "servo wires should be 4.5 feet or less based on the extensive measurements and listening sessions we conducted using various wire lengths. The white paper on servo wire length can be downloaded from our website."

brj

« Reply #2 on: 2 Oct 2022, 07:35 am »
It's always best to contact the designer/manufacturer with technical questions.

As extracted (and condensed) from an email exchange I had with Brian Ding @ Rythmik in 2013:

It is the length and the shielding of the sensing coil that is more important [than increasing the wire gauge].  20ft is what I would recommend as max [length of the wires between amp and driver].

So yes, shorter is better, but the sky won't come crashing down if you have 15' wires.

dallaire1

Re: Servo Sub Wiring
« Reply #3 on: 5 Oct 2022, 12:14 am »
Agreed and tested. The bigger problem, is the amp uses much of its own power for all the correction taking place it robs the amp of headroom. Only on open baffle design for the most part. See if you here a difference in performance. I would say slight at most.

NoahH

« Reply #4 on: 5 Oct 2022, 02:18 am »
It's always best to contact the designer/manufacturer with technical questions.

As extracted (and condensed) from an email exchange I had with Brian Ding @ Rythmik in 2013:

So yes, shorter is better, but the sky won't come crashing down if you have 15' wires.

This is just the info I was looking for. Thanks!

Theronbo

« Reply #5 on: 5 Oct 2022, 04:48 am »
While we are on the topic…

Just acquired the ‘double trouble + flat pack’ … this came with the A370PEQ model plat amp from Rythmik.

This amp only has connections for a single driver.

1. Audio signal lines: parallel or series?

2. Servo control lines, same question.

I looked on the Rythmik web site… they actually have a dual driver GR custom plate amp.

But, the one I received, is the one pictured in the product description on GR web site…

Anyway, hoping to complete the build tomorrow or next day…. Like to wire it up correctly from the start.

morganc

« Reply #6 on: 5 Oct 2022, 05:53 am »

Theronbo

« Reply #7 on: 5 Oct 2022, 06:30 am »
Awesome! Thanks.

So, audio (thick) are parallel.

Servo (thinner) are serial.

Vince in TX

« Reply #8 on: 5 Oct 2022, 05:47 pm »
All I did with mine was keep the length that came on it, and then I just clipped the ends off to solder them to the connector.

Theronbo

« Reply #9 on: 5 Oct 2022, 09:26 pm »
Hmmm,

You did a pretty job of connecting the amp to the speaker driver chassis.

I’m simply going to mount the amp mix to the side of the speaker enclosure using 1/2 inch standoffs.

That way I can use short wires & solder everything directly… I’m assuming this thing is never coming apart.

NoahH

« Reply #10 on: 6 Oct 2022, 04:46 am »
Does anyone know the model numbers of the male and female neutrik connectors on the subs? I need to build my extension cable and there are a million neutrik models, and GR does not have the connectors alone on their site.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 6 Oct 2022, 04:14 pm »
Male: NL4FX
Female: NL4MP

NoahH

« Reply #12 on: 7 Oct 2022, 04:32 am »