BePure2s two weeks later...

DFpritchard

BePure2s two weeks later...
« on: 17 Sep 2022, 03:20 pm »
Two weeks and dozens of CDs/SACDs later, some impressions of the driftwood BePure2s.

1. These things sound better than they look and they look fantastic! 
2. Strengths of the BePure2 start with ease.  The 'musicality' of these speakers leaps out of the cabinet with no effort whatsoever.  I typically listen at lower volumes (30-40 level on my ML 585 10-90 range volume setting) but get clarity, soundstage and 3D presentation I could not get previously unless I turned the volume way up.  For example, listening to an old favorite Suite for Flute and Jazz Piano with Claude Bolling and JP Rampal, while Rampal's flute always sounded 'nice', the BePure2s give his breathing such presence that the flute takes on qualities of the human voice.  His playing has evoked this comparison before but I am hearing it now from these speakers.  Great CD to sit and listen carefully to.
3. Still can't believe the bass performance of these comparatively small speakers.  Kodo Drummers of Japan on Sheffield are in the room with you, or at least their drums are.  These speakers move a LOT of air; at higher volumes (45 and above), I can actually feel the air in the room move.  Diga Rhythm Band on Reference Recordings has a similar impact, but from much smaller drum heads and drum volumes.
4. Performance with acoustic music is exemplary.  Acoustic Guitars Out of the Blue (a Danish group on Stunt Records) sounds fantastic.  The combination of acoustic guitar and drums on Tages Ti Hai/track 5 really shows off the capabilities of the Satori beryllium tweeter.  The CD liner notes mention various features of the acoustic guitars (6-string, 12-string, nylon or steel strings) and the BePure2s let you hear the differences. 
5. Jim S has set the bar VERY high with the BEPure2s, not just in terms of what the competition has to offer but what his next act (Purifi 3-way?) has to improve upon.

Hydro

Re: BePure2s two weeks later...
« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2022, 03:50 pm »
I have a set of speakers using essentially the same drivers (mine have the Be driver with the wave guide) and they get better after breaking in for a few months, if you can believe that.

TerryWI

« Reply #2 on: 17 Sep 2022, 05:12 pm »
Two weeks and dozens of CDs/SACDs later, some impressions of the driftwood BePure2s.

Love the detailed updates with music used and impressions!  If you could just keep these up for another 6mo or so my appetite will remain whetted.

RonN5

« Reply #3 on: 17 Sep 2022, 08:22 pm »
DFpritchard

Tell us more about your room and your gear please.

DFpritchard

« Reply #4 on: 17 Sep 2022, 09:24 pm »
Please see my post on September 3 for room and equipment details.  Also more on cuts that really made an impression.  Music taste is so personal but everything I have played --  classic rock (especially live recordings like Dick's Picks or Moe), orchestral/symphonic pieces, ensemble pieces (Vivaldi, Joel Cohen and the Boston Camerata), vocals (Eva Cassidy, Xavier Rudd, Stan Rogers, Ralph McTell)  percussion (piano and drums) has sounded great.  More open, organic and just plain musical than I recall the CDs sounding.  Well-recorded CDs (Reference Recordings, MoFi SACDs, Sheffield Labs, German-pressed Telarc, Bis) sound more engaging to my ears but even poorly recorded CDs (e.g., Velvet Underground with Nico, Bohemian Rhapsody better but still nasty/compresssed) sound better with the BePure2s.  As I told Jim, the BePure2s are so good, they make highland bagpipes sound like music.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #5 on: 18 Sep 2022, 12:05 am »
Please see my post on September 3 for room and equipment details.  Also more on cuts that really made an impression.  Music taste is so personal but everything I have played --  classic rock (especially live recordings like Dick's Picks or Moe), orchestral/symphonic pieces, ensemble pieces (Vivaldi, Joel Cohen and the Boston Camerata), vocals (Eva Cassidy, Xavier Rudd, Stan Rogers, Ralph McTell)  percussion (piano and drums) has sounded great.  More open, organic and just plain musical than I recall the CDs sounding.  Well-recorded CDs (Reference Recordings, MoFi SACDs, Sheffield Labs, German-pressed Telarc, Bis) sound more engaging to my ears but even poorly recorded CDs (e.g., Velvet Underground with Nico, Bohemian Rhapsody better but still nasty/compresssed) sound better with the BePure2s.  As I told Jim, the BePure2s are so good, they make highland bagpipes sound like music.

Sounds like you have lots of great demo music.  Do you think you could list, say, 3 of your most favorite CD's for showing off the BePure's?  Capital Audio Fest is coming up and I'm always looking for good material. 
« Last Edit: 18 Sep 2022, 04:31 am by DMurphy »

DFpritchard

« Reply #6 on: 18 Sep 2022, 12:43 am »
Dennis:

That's a tall order but here's a selection I think shows off the BePure2s (I still prefer PureSong) to good effect

1. Acoustic Guitars Out of the Blue (Stunt Records stuck 19507)  Favorite track is Tages Ti Hai, Indian rhythms on Western acoustic guitars
2. Tine Thing Helseth and the Norwegian Chamber Orchestra playing trumpet concertos by Haydn, Albinoni, Neruda and Hummel (Simax 1292)
3. Eva Cassidy Nightbird, a 2-CD collection recording of an entire concert at Blues Alley (Blix G2-10109).  Cassidy will be a local hero to most attendees at CAF and the material pretty familiar but there's no denying her vocal quality and it sounds spectacular on the BePure2s.
4. Hoquetus Theatre of Voices, Medieval Vocal Music (Harmonia Mundi HMU 907185).  Great for showing off the vocal capabilities of the BePure2s but admittedly an oddball/acquired taste choice of musical material.
5. Yo-Yo Ma Appalachian Spring.  Because the man plays a mean cello.  Hard Times Come Again No More, a song he does with James Taylor, is just fun.
6.  Rusted Root Cruel Sun.  Unbelievable energy through the BePure2s. 

Note that all I listen to is CD/SACD.  I do not do downloads or hi-res stuff in my 2-channel system.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #7 on: 18 Sep 2022, 01:24 am »
Thanks!   Much appreciated.  I don't do no streaming either.  Just red book CD's for me.     

Paul K.

« Reply #8 on: 18 Sep 2022, 01:23 pm »
Wow, that's two people, Dennis and Mr. Pritchard who, like me, only listen to CDs and don't stream any music!  :thumb:
Paul