Vinyl Wrap

mkane

Vinyl Wrap
« on: 8 Aug 2022, 11:44 pm »
 I'm going to vinyl wrap 2 pairs, super Minis & Wedgies. Any tips appreciated. I'm going to sand with 220 and proceed from there. I have used Monokote in the past on RC airplanes. I have a heat gun and some squeegees. I'm on it in the morning.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
Re: Vinyl Wrap
« Reply #1 on: 9 Aug 2022, 12:11 am »
Have some pliers nearby to pull the wrap around corners. Not sure how this material compares to Monokote but should be a good solution. Keep us informed and post photos.
Hope it goes well!

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #2 on: 9 Aug 2022, 02:26 am »
Assuming you're using vinyl like you'd wrap a car with, I'd seal and smooth the cabinet prior. In fact, I'd prime and sand as if I were painting and let it cure for a week.  Irregularities will telegraph through. If it's something heavier than car wrap, maybe that's not necessary. 

I hope you post photos of your project, I'm ever curious to see people's endeavors.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #3 on: 9 Aug 2022, 03:47 am »
Peter's advice is solid. Make that as perfectly flat and smooth as possible (especially the seams between panels) prior to busting out the vinyl.

mkane

« Reply #4 on: 9 Aug 2022, 03:19 pm »
 Off to the hardware store for some sealer.

There's a fella that visits this forum that's done this before.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 9 Aug 2022, 04:09 pm »
When I need to be sure the cabinet, especially the seams, are flat and won't telegraph anything trough, I put 2 to 3 coats of epoxy on the cabinets after they have been sanded smooth to 180 grit. I sand the first coat of epoxy with 220 and the second coat with 320. If the cabinet is not completely sealed and smooth, I apply a third coat of epoxy then sand it to 320 also. If the adhesive you use needs more tooth to work, scuff sand with 100 or 120 grit before applying the adhesive.

mkane

« Reply #6 on: 9 Aug 2022, 10:40 pm »
 Not being very patient I tired of waiting for my wife to return from the hardware store. The recessed area took some trial and error. The material stretches quite a bit and with a minimum amount of heat it conforms to the concave area, Then trim. The outside edges are a PITA

I'll spend more time on the wedgies

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #7 on: 10 Aug 2022, 01:39 am »
That looks fantastic! 

mkane

« Reply #8 on: 10 Aug 2022, 02:07 am »
From the seated position, I agree. Up close is a different story. I'll learn along the way. It comes off real easy.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #9 on: 10 Aug 2022, 04:28 pm »
Do you need a perfectly smooth surface for this?  I’m curious if it would work on a more textured surface like duratex.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #10 on: 10 Aug 2022, 05:29 pm »
Do you need a perfectly smooth surface for this?  I’m curious if it would work on a more textured surface like duratex.

It wouldn't work well at all. Think of it as a skin stretched over the surface and lightly adhering where it's contacting said surface. It would span the low spots and bridge the high spots. Paint would be a better bet over Duratex.

mkane

« Reply #11 on: 10 Aug 2022, 08:23 pm »
I agree. I'm going to paint the Wedgies and the H frames. More to come.

Atom666

« Reply #12 on: 10 Aug 2022, 11:08 pm »
I like the color. What is the brand and color ID# you selected?
Thanks
Andrew

mkane

« Reply #13 on: 11 Aug 2022, 02:23 am »
3m2080 Vampire red

e_biz80

« Reply #14 on: 12 Aug 2022, 08:09 pm »
I think vinyl wrapping is a great idea. It allows you to change up the look of your speakers anytime you want. I vinyl wrapped the wings of my NX-Treme’s.

mkane

« Reply #15 on: 12 Aug 2022, 11:44 pm »
 I'm going to remove the vinyl down the road. Not real pleased with the stiction in the concaved areas.