About to go down the Maggie rabbit-hole

.penguin

About to go down the Maggie rabbit-hole
« on: 21 Mar 2022, 06:28 pm »
Hello all. I’ve wandered into these forum pages over the years via web searches and it’s time to properly join.

I've always liked the imaging and sound from dipole speakers and have spent decades with Carver AL-3 and Acoustat 11’s. Moving to a new home with a large listening space and it’s time to take the plunge and go for the real panels. Plus my better half thinks that the Maggies are prettier than the Carvers. Have loved the Magnepan sound since first hearing them in the late 70’s and really have no good excuse for not owning some sooner in life other than I never did get a round Tuit. Am hoping to pick up ideas and suggestions for amplifiers and other equipment.

We enjoy listening to jazz, older rock, classical, folk, bluegrass, and a capella music.

johnto

Re: About to go down the Maggie rabbit-hole
« Reply #1 on: 21 Mar 2022, 08:36 pm »
IWelcome to the club.
I'm currently running 3.7i with a Pass 250.8 amp and XP10 pre and couldn't be happier. You need to decide which Maggie's you want to purchase and how much you are allocating to associated equipment.
In the past I know Magnepan recommended against class D amps as they didn't have the current to drive it's speakers adequately. I've also had 1.7i with an Parasound Hint and that combo was also great.

geowak

« Reply #2 on: 21 Mar 2022, 08:48 pm »
I have the MMG's and run a Parasound A21 with them. I integrated a Rhymik subwoofer and at lower volumes I like that sound. This is my go to rig for late night listening ( I have two audio systems). I tried the 1.7 but something about the smaller Magnepan sounds better to me. Good luck!!

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 21 Mar 2022, 08:51 pm »
Welcome!

Saturn94

« Reply #4 on: 21 Mar 2022, 08:57 pm »
Welcome.  :D

Yep, Maggies thrive on amps that are high power, high amps, and stable with low impedances.  I’m using a Parasound Classic 5250 (385 watts per channel at 4 ohms, 45 amps peak each channel) to drive my LRS.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #5 on: 21 Mar 2022, 09:35 pm »
I run my 1.6's with a Pass X250 and a BAT tube preamp.  The synergy is fantastic. I also run dual Martin Logan subs that integrate seamlessly.  Rythmik subs like the F12se would be even better.  Go non ported for a sub.

Maggies like high power, high current and high capacitance amps that can handle a 2ohm load to get the best out of them.

dwmaggie

• First memory of music was parents Zenith portable.
« Reply #6 on: 21 Mar 2022, 10:00 pm »
Good news you are going to buy some Maggie's, bad news it will be about a 4 to 6 month wait on deliveries.  Class D works fine with Magnepans.  I use a DAC MegaCherry at 260wpc for my 1.7i s.  I also run 2 DWMs to help augment the low end.   Congratulations on a great choice.  Which model are you looking at?

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 21 Mar 2022, 10:27 pm »
Greetings &  Welcome to AC .penguin    :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 21 Mar 2022, 10:46 pm »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

jjss49

« Reply #9 on: 21 Mar 2022, 11:04 pm »
as rabbit holes go, the maggie one is a high class one

Jack the cat

• At the gates of delirium
« Reply #10 on: 22 Mar 2022, 12:39 am »
Welkom.....

.penguin

« Reply #11 on: 22 Mar 2022, 01:59 am »
I was looking at the 3.7i’s and the 20.7’s but after hearing both last week will be going for the 20’s. Painful to the wallet, but should prevent me from feeling a need to upgrade in the future.  I’ve been using a Martin Logan 800X sealed sub with my Carver AL-3 speakers for a few years and will start experimenting with that to see how it benefits the 20’s once I have the speakers in hand. If it is a 6 month lead time then I will be have a lot of experience with the Carvers in my new big room.

I just tried out 800X with a pair of MMG-W front speakers in a much smaller family room, (16 by 12). It’s actually way more subwoofer than that room or the MMG-W’s need, but the combination is quite pleasing.

For the 20.7’s, I have a Hafler 280XL amp and a Carver M-4.0t amp to start out with. Expecting that I may find both of these underpowered, but it will all be a learning experience.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #12 on: 22 Mar 2022, 04:01 am »
Both those amps will be underpowered for the 20.7's.  The Carver will be better but the speakers are 4 ohm and dip down much lower.
A Parasound JC5, Pass X250.8/350.5 or a Bryston 4b3 will sound great with them.

That ML sub will be fine.  I have dual original Dynamo's with my 1.6's and the integrate seamlessly.   Add a second ML 800 and you will be set.

Craig B

« Reply #13 on: 22 Mar 2022, 11:05 am »
Welcome. Our musical tastes sound pretty similar. I've been a Maggie fan since my first pair - MG1s - back in 1978, fed at that time by a GAS Son of Ampzilla, then later by a B&K ST-140. I now have .7s that I power with a pair of PS Audio M700 monoblocks (Class D, 700 wpc into 4 ohms), and I love the sound I'm getting now even more.

mcgsxr

« Reply #14 on: 22 Mar 2022, 12:49 pm »
Welcome to AC!

Maggies are a great exploration.

I enjoyed my time with MMG's and 1.6QR's.

I used a Class D pro amp (Crown XLS 1500) with the 1.6's and was very happy.

johnto

« Reply #15 on: 22 Mar 2022, 01:39 pm »
There are a few used pair of 20.7 for sale on usaudiomart, wish I had the room myself. Happy listening.

geowak

« Reply #16 on: 22 Mar 2022, 05:41 pm »
BTW for maggie fans and the gentleman with the 20.7. Here is a good review. Also Jay makes a very interesting comment about Magico!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9gzgkY7fu4

artur9

« Reply #17 on: 26 Mar 2022, 04:07 pm »
If Maggies are the beginning of the rabbit hole I can't wait to see the end.

Welcome!

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #18 on: 27 Mar 2022, 06:27 pm »
I own Magnepan 20.7s and love them
They are worth the wait.
I was able to hear things and reach new heights in quality listening due to having the 20.7s
I previously owned Magnepan 3.6 for about nine years.
Good luck