Built stands for my new .7s

Davey

Re: Built stands for my new .7s
« Reply #20 on: 17 May 2022, 01:46 pm »
He's offset those upper holes so the screws are better centered into the meaty portion of the frame and farther from possible interference with the transducer unit.
If there were a photo without the socks installed it would be illustrated better.

Nice design.

Dave.

geowak

« Reply #21 on: 17 May 2022, 08:42 pm »
Very nice job. I built mahogany stands on wheels. I like the fact yours are made of metal.

jjss49

« Reply #22 on: 17 May 2022, 11:54 pm »
it is always so cool to see fellow enthusiasts use their skills and creativity to make excellent solutions for their gear, their sound

i unfortunately have few of such skills

thank goodness rob at magnarisers does this for us maggie owners at a reasonable cost

audiobliss

• Industry Participant
« Reply #23 on: 19 May 2022, 04:18 pm »
Hi BikeFi10,  the metal thickness is 1/4” , I ordered steel lengths pre cut from Online Metals, my neighbor has a small machine shop in his garage, so he drilled all the holes and welded the brackets for me at the ninety  degree angle.
I could have made the verticals taller, but they get too heavy and I was trying to keep things as less cluttered looking as possible. They do not eliminate all the sway, but I would say at least fifty percent. I have since added some new support brackets that takes it to about eighty percent. I could go from the lower support straight up to the top hole in the vertical which would be even better, but I don’t think the trade off in esthetics would be worth it.
The top holes are not centered because I wanted the TNuts
I placed in reverse, to be centered on the wood frame of the speakers. I also wanted to stay away from the inner edge of the frame as I couldn’t tell if any of the ribbon attachments may be affected.
The verticals are 25” tall, that’s 4” less than half the length of the .7. You can go higher depending on the model you have, but it will need more support.

BikeFi10

« Reply #24 on: 20 May 2022, 06:32 pm »
Audiobliss, thanks for the reply. I have the 1.7i s which I think are taller than .7. Not sure of flat stock thickness my friend will use for supports. I may have to add a higher angle support. Mine are black so hopefully braces will blend in good. Good idea putting top holes more outside. Im gonna be nervous drilling in frame as it is.
One more question. Did you protect sock during drilling? Seems like it could get snagged or twisted by drill bit.
Thanks!

audiobliss

• Industry Participant
« Reply #25 on: 21 May 2022, 01:30 am »
I didn’t drill, I thought about it and decided the only way to do that,
would be to remove the sock, and I wasn’t doing that.
So I came up with idea of using these nice Tnuts I found on Amazon in reverse, using three tiny #4 screws. Let me tell you, whatever wood the frame is made of, it’s really hard. I just used small punch to start the holes.
They are placed right over the sock.
Once the three screws are in, I use a flat washer over them so they don’t eat into the painted brackets. The washers also provide a little damping between the parts.
You can check out the TNuts, the dementions were perfect for me.
Here are some pictures.

BikeFi10

« Reply #26 on: 23 May 2022, 01:30 pm »
Thank you for the detail on the screws. I know you mentioned Tnuts in earlier post, but now I see how they work. So I just took measurements of my 1.7i s and realized they do not have a perimeter frame thats flush with the sock. They are set in about 1/2". There are a couple cross boards about 1 3/4" wide that are flush with sock that Ill have to connect to. I hope they will be robust enough. The vertical leg of brace will have to be 53" high to reach the top cross board. Ill post pix when I get my materials and start project.

BikeFi10

« Reply #27 on: 24 Aug 2022, 12:51 pm »
Audiobliss, tried messaging you, but dont see it in my sent box.
Im building stands for my 1.7i s similar to yours.
A friend made awesome metal braces that I will mount  on three 3/4" mdf boards sandwiched together.
Question.. in your pic of parts there are Tnut "standoffs". Did you use those and did they come with Tnuts? I cant see between brace and speaker.
If you didnt use them do the Tnut "shafts" go all the way through the holes in braces?
Also, did all the hardware come from amazon?
Thanks!

audiobliss

• Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: 31 Aug 2022, 12:22 am »
Hi BikeFi10
I replied to your message by email,  I hope you saw it. Here is what I wrote.

Hi,
I think 3/4” msg boards may be too light to hold the 1.7s from tilting forward. I know it wouldn’t hold the .7, and the 1.7 is much heavier and taller. You could add weights to hold it from tilting, but I wouldn’t want to depend on that.
I used the same TNuts between the speaker frame and the brackets, but I turned them upside down and made the holes in the brackets just big enough for the shaft to go through. Here is a picture.
I got them from Amazon, I will look them up and send you the info later.

BikeFi10

« Reply #29 on: 6 Sep 2022, 01:37 pm »
I may have accidently deleted email, sorry. I did get started. So far 3 trips to hardware store. I do better seeing hardware in person. It took alot of precise measuring to mark holes in braces, but so far good. Those #4 screws look like a pain to mount the Tnuts. I have 8 Tnuts, 24 screws, yikes. I probably will have to add weights to bases or add a couple front feet for extra caution.
Other obligations coming up so it ll be a couple weeks to get back to this project. Ill try to add a pic for now.

BikeFi10

« Reply #30 on: 6 Sep 2022, 02:10 pm »
Drilled holes through brace.

BikeFi10

« Reply #31 on: 6 Sep 2022, 02:13 pm »
Aligned with internal cross wood braces.

BikeFi10

« Reply #32 on: 6 Sep 2022, 02:16 pm »

audiobliss

• Industry Participant
« Reply #33 on: 8 Sep 2022, 06:11 pm »
If they are top heavy, instead of having feet stick out the front, you could mount them like this. This was my first design, but i liked the flush mount better.